Far too young to be parents!

Malcolm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about wanting their 15 mins of fame(although I'm sure alot of them wouldn't pass it up) but I do think that some young people today seem to live their lives right out of a soap. I don't think alot of them know what 'normal' is and they seem to need some kind of a drama going on in their lives.

And I do think alot of this is down to the way they have been brought up and what they have seen from their own parents (and I would think programmes like Eastenders don't help). It seems to become some kind of viscious cycle passed on from generation to generation. I know that some people do manage to 'break' the cycle but you have to wonder what kind of chance does that little baby have?

I just hope that their are some responsible adults around that can give her some kind of 'normality'.

^^^ I wouldn't say I do either. And neither do any of my sister's friends. It's only kids like those that live life as a soap opera, and that's why they make the front page.

If there's one thing I've learned from my journalism course, it's this: Scandal Sells and Good News is No News. You know, that old chestnut.

There isn't much you can do really. I don't think that you can be criminally responsible for your childrens behaviour

That statement quite simply epitomises the very same attitude the creates this type of scenario in the first place.

In a culture that measures things by whether or not you can be jailed for them, self-discipline and referred discipline are disregarded. Add on the concept of sex and/or celebrity as achievements, a blame culture where everyone is ironically blameless and you have a recipe for social disintegration toward a sinister revival of conscience-less tribal culture, with self aggrandisement taken to levels near impossible in primitive tribal communal cultures. The road to social anarchy.

tlady's answer is bang on. Parents, in particular, have responsibilities that extend outwith straightforward statute. The law revolves around that which is "reasonable". Even locally I have heard second hand accounts of a parent who was proud that their underage child had sexually 'stolen' partners from others. Cause for pride, or completely unreasonable - verging on passive abuse?

You can't sit by and watch a child burn his/herself, (and perhaps your home)with a box of matches, but it is unlikely you'd go to jail for failing to act either.

I doubt that the boy can argue that he didnt know what he was doing or what the outcome would be. Sex Education is part of Key Stage 3 and is taught from 11 years of age. Just because the boy does not show outward signs of puberty does not mean that his emotional developement is also that of a young child. As any parent can tell you the emotional state of the brain is far ahead of the body in early teens.

Our school is currently doing sex education. Parents were invited along one evening to view a video which summerises what the children will be shown in school and also look at the workbooks that accompany the series.

The whole school p1 to p7 is shown a video basically looking at the differences between male and female bodies and giving the anatomically correct names for genitals.

Then there is four evenings planned for p5 to p7 pupils and parents to come along and view four more indepth videos and complete worksheets together.

I've been to the initial parents only evening and the first of the parents and child evening with my 9 year old daughter. I've been very impressed with the first video. It covers more indepth differences between boys and girls eg. boys have testicles with sperm making factories and girls have ovaries and it talks about periods.

Tonights video is about how a baby is made.

but really who would let a teenage girls boyfriend sleep over in their room. the parent/s are either brain dead or they just don't care.

Underage sex permission condemned

This was in the Scottish news just the other day.

A mother who let a 22-year-old man sleep with her 14-year-old daughter has been condemned by a sheriff.

The girl's mother wrote to a local newspaper defending her decision to allow her daughter to sleep with him.

The woman, who cannot be named to prevent the schoolgirl being identified, argued that she was trying to protect her daughter.

I had experience with the distraught parent of an underage girl who was unable to prevent her daughter trying to get pregnant with a gentleman in his thirties. The police and the social work both insisted she had to let the teenage girl out, and could not stop her from seeing him. Oh the lass succeeded, and the story only gets worse from there, JK style.

But how is a parent supposed to prevent their child from having sex? If the law prevents you from "grounding" your child is it not better it's happening under your own roof?

Oh yeah my child's been told no sex until she married, she's not allowed to get married until she's graduated and got a decent job and income of her own.

She agrees now, but in 4/5years time I'm afraid there isn't much I'll be able to do if she disagrees.

I had experience with the distraught parent of an underage girl who was unable to prevent her daughter trying to get pregnant with a gentleman in his thirties. The police and the social work both insisted she had to let the teenage girl out, and could not stop her from seeing him. Oh the lass succeeded, and the story only gets worse from there, JK style.

But how is a parent supposed to prevent their child from having sex? If the law prevents you from "grounding" your child is it not better it's happening under your own roof?

no you are then open to being prosecuted yourself. plus if the guy is in his 30+ and the girl is under 15. he is guilty of rape. the daughter may not want to give evidence but a DNA test would prove it.

personally if it was my daughter i think i would be wanting to have a long and very hard chat with him. there is a big difference from to 15 year old's being randy and the above mentioned.

My folks were always just honest to me about sex really. If I asked them anything, they'd tell me the right answer, and it was through this relationship I learned that sex wasn't really such a big deal - not something to hide away or to be embarrassed by. My parents were always completely honest and I hope to have the exact same relationship with my children, if I ever have some.

Oh yeah my child's been told no sex until she married, she's not allowed to get married until she's graduated and got a decent job and income of her own.

She agrees now, but in 4/5years time I'm afraid there isn't much I'll be able to do if she disagrees.

What if she doesn't go to college/uni? No sex ever? What if she doesn't want to get married but is in love anyway? No sex ever? I hope you don't see it as an attack on your parenting, because it isn't.

no you are then open to being prosecuted yourself. plus if the guy is in his 30+ and the girl is under 15. he is guilty of rape. the daughter may not want to give evidence but a DNA test would prove it.

No one is able to take any test without the teenager's consent, even if the parent requests it. If the teenager doesn't make a complaint the police wont do anything.

Working with Teenagers is a bloody minefield. Laws and policies contradict themselves.

personally if it was my daughter i think i would be wanting to have a long and very hard chat with him.
As you'll probably have noticed violent fathers seem to find themselves in court more often than the guy having sex with the under age daughter.

No one is able to take any test without the teenager's consent, even if the parent requests it. If the teenager doesn't make a complaint the police wont do anything.

Working with Teenagers is a bloody minefield. Laws and policies contradict themselves.

personally if it was my daughter i think i would be wanting to have a long and very hard chat with him.
As you'll probably have noticed violent fathers seem to find themselves in court more often than the guy having sex with the under age daughter.

true but the guy would not be having any more sex.

yes the daughter could refuse but a court order can be issued to get a sample of DNA FROM EITHER THE CORD OR CHILD.

you would really want to know why some man would want a young teenager. yes my comment was partly in jest but if Mr plod would not deal with him some one.