Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

The selection wasn't unanimous, but some councillors pushed extraordinarily hard for his appointment and it would be good to know why this was so.

Was it made public at the time who voted for Clark during the selection process? I don't recall ever coming across that information. Is this publically available information? If not is it gettable via the Freedom of Information legislation?

IMHO, knowing before the next round of council elections who put this guy in the job, is issue numero uno in the public interest.

I've heard that there were three or four Councillors who opposed his appointment, apparently with some vigour, and that the identities of two of them wouldn't raise any eyebrows in the light of subsequent events.

The names of those voting for each candidate would probably only have been recorded in the Minute if some shrewd Councillor had called successfully for a roll-call vote. That's always a good idea if you're a Councillor who sees his colleagues about to vote themselves into a legal quicksand or attempt some kind of financial suicide. (The very act of calling for the vote can sometimes change minds). Whether anyone had the wit to do it this time, we may never know, for I think this would all be treated as exempt information under FOI rules because it's a personnel matter.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similarity?

http://www.erik-moncrieff.com/misc/SeparatedAtBirth3.jpg

Cool Em!

Made me laugh.

Quite a resemblence!!

Now he is off on holiday again on full pay.

It is disgusting.

They should bar him with no pay.

Till the matter is resolved.

But they won't..

He has the last laugh at us all with fingers up!!

He can be assured of a ridiculous pay off.

Watch this space :twisted:

Funny enough I am developed a bit of sympathy for out Chief Executive. After all he is a human being and must have hopes and fears just like the rest of us. That said I have developed my sympathy since the Sun started publishing stories about him and I could have been influenced by that.

Sorry "Just Me" the man dererves everything he gets and that is not sympathy...He has totally devasted his family,s life and torn apart a marriage of 20 odd yrs. Did he think he would never get rummbled?

Shetland is a beautifull place to live and i am proud to live here there is so much that can be written in the news about this lovely island, instead we are hearing every day more horror stories about sleazey CE who thinks it is ok to drag us into ever incresing depths of s***.Someone had to expose this man for the fake he is otherwise where would it have stopped?

The problen IMO as I see it is that too many in the Council are far too arrogent and dont think they need to cosider the needs of the good folks who live here...

For far too long they have had it their own way there really needs to be an injection of "New Blood"

For ****'s sake! Dave Clark's personal life has absolutely no bearing on how good/bad he might have been as Chief Exec! How many marriages end in divorce nowadays. His case is hardly exceptional. While this thread contains items of interest (in terms of local "oil" history etc), it's deteriorating rapidly into simple character assassination, which is undignified, unnecessary and bloody well not on! I think a person should worry about maintaining the quality of the relationships in their own life, and not waste the effort making nasty assertions about others.

The Sun's articles were disgusting both in intent and content. Nobody deserves that. A clear separation should be made between Dave Clark's merits/lack of merits as a council employee and his personal life. I don't believe that a high public profile goes along with public ownership of someone's private life. Mods - don't you think this thread runs the risk of becoming inappropriate?

Agreed......put all the personal life stuff aside......however.....he's still underperformed in the job he was employed to do, and has made Shetland a laughing stock..... even before the "Sun" articles recent appearance.

Time for him to move on, appoint a new CE, and hopefully start to repair the significant damage that has been inflicted on Shetland's reputation since June last year.

E.M. - God almighty, you'd take the p*** out of someone because they were fat? That's the act of a spiteful primary school bairn. Think about your actions!

I am quite fat myself.

I wasn't particularly aiming anything at his dimensions, I just found the similarity remarkable. I don't know much about Sir Topham Hatt, but I believe he is not a negative character. The previous similarity of Mr Shannon to Parker was also, I think, not negative.

Shetland council chief is considering his futurePremium Article !Your account has been frozen. For your available options click the below button.

Options Premium Article !To read this article in full you must have registered and have a Premium Content Subscription with the The Scotsman site.

Subscribe Registered Article !To read this article in full you must be registered with the site.

Sign InRegister

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 02 February 2010

By Pete Bevington

SHETLAND Islands Council's chief executive is considering his future after only eight months at the helm.

Dave Clark's lawyers have approached the council to discuss "recent events", which have seen him hit the local and national headlines.

In a statement, the council said Mr Clark, 44, had been granted leave "while these issues are being resolved". Councillors will discuss the matter on Thursday after a meeting of the services committee at Lerwick Town Hall.

Mr Clark joined the authority in June, but three months later he "deleted" the post of his assistant chief executive, Willie Shannon, without proper consultation, sparking anger among unions and some councillors.

As relations between Mr Clark and the councillors broke down, the local government watchdog, Audit Scotland, commented on "high-profile relationship issues" which might "adversely impact" on the council's performance.

On 10 December last year, the Accounts Commission announced it was sending the controller of audit, Caroline Gardner, to Shetland to investigate.

Mr Clark refused to comment on the matter.

Page 1 of 1

Last Updated: 02 February 2010 1:09 AM

Source: The Scotsman