Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kind of unfounded and unwarranted cynicism already being spouted by paulb just goes to show that there will always be a contingent hell bent on finding fault in politicians or senior managers in large public organisations right from the word go.

As much as I would like to think otherwise, nobody in his position however hard they may try will ever succeed in keeping everybody happy all of the time. Good guy or not, somebody will find something to whinge about in due course and he will undoubtedly attract his critics just as his predecessors did and just as the other candidates would. It comes with the territory.

Holding such a prominent position in any public organisation is something I wouldn't relish. But the best of luck to him.

then we will wait and see. if im proved wrong it means we get a decent service if your proved wrong were screwed.

I agree with you on a number of issues that you've posted over the past few months but take a pill, pessimism is all well and good but you're taking it way too far. If Shetland is so corrupt, has no future and is run by idiots why do you stay here? Sure some things aren't going well, but others are - like everywhere else in the country/world.

In my opinion Shetland is a fine place to live. We've got a new Council CEO who seems to have a successful track record in business appointed by a Council that was elected by the population of Shetland. Okay so some of their decisions have been questionable with 20:20 hindsight and an opposing agenda, but at least accept that due diligence has been performed and that the appointee is as he states on paper. I wasn't up here when his father was the Chief Executive so I have no idea what Mr Ian Clark did rightly or wrongly for Shetland. Nor have I been privy to the recruitment process, but I suspect that with the rumoured local candidates, he would have to have been a very strong candidate to get the appointment. Most of the gripes about the Council and the Officers at the moment is (from my readings) about the capital programmes and Mr David Clark has a track record in managing multi-million pound capital projects. Wouldn't that make him the right man for the job? If not, who would you ind acceptable? I don't think Sir Alan Sugar would care for the job and Mother Theresa is unavailable.

If you care this much about ambulances, the chief executive, windfarms etc. get involved, stand for council, and do something. This monday morning quarterbacking is starting to get wearing, despite the fact that it is de rigeur for us Shetlinkers ;-)

David Clark's firm's website is here. His business partners include:

Paul Gatrill

- formerly Chief Executive of BP Holdings, Paul closed the largest property development deal in European history in the 1980's. Chartered as both a Structural Engineer and Surveyor, Paul has worked on almost every type of building, giving him a knowledge of construction second to none.

Ian R Clark

- Founding Director of Britoil and BNOC, as Chief Executive of Shetland Island's Council he oversaw the Sullom Voe development - the largest construction project in Europe at the time. He also directed the construction of Britoil's Glasgow Headquaters - a spectaular development later sold on by a certain Mr Gatrill...

Maybe it is these associates that helped him swing the deal, ie having inside knowledge of the oil industry. On Radio Shetland he gave the impression of being a hard man who could bring in projects under budget, which I think is something the SIC sorely needs. I hope his people skills are up to scratch and he doesn't alienate the staff and councillors in the process.

Maybe alienating councillors is just what a chief executive needs to do. After all the SIC has a well established record of prevaricating rather than making decisions so getting them to make and stick to decisions could well be his main task.

Ah, not necessarily so. What if the Chief Executive had opposing views to the elected Councillors who were representing the views of their constituents and vice versa?

Are chief executives meant to have views?. Certainly I was not meaning that he should impose his view on the councillors but that he should try to get them to make decisions that they then stick with. Where the SIC is always going to have some difficulty is with deciding on priorities where each councillor wants something for their area.....then I would expect that the chief executive would provide some guidance if asked to do so.

Almost unbelievable.......

This chap comes into the job, the son of a man who is celebrated as a shrewd negotiator who faced down the multi-nationals to secure an unprecedented deal for Shetland, and we're supposed to hold it against him?????????

Who are the people responsible for this terrible cronyism? How many of the people involved in his selection from the field of candidates are actually old muckers of Ian Clark? Few? None? There were certainly some strong local candidates but those in charge of selection chose Mr Clark Jr. so it can only be an old boys network that's responsible. :roll: Piffle and poppycock, I say!

paulb is keen to get the knife stuck into the new Chief Exec and warn us all that, because we don't understand what's going on "were screwed".

I don't know paulb and have never met him but, by his reasoning, it's entirely OK for me to insinuate on a public forum that he's a workshy layabout who's out to line his pockets at our expense and, and, probably nips kittens ears when their owners aren't looking.

Are chief executives meant to have views?. Certainly I was not meaning that he should impose his view on the councillors but that he should try to get them to make decisions that they then stick with. Where the SIC is always going to have some difficulty is with deciding on priorities where each councillor wants something for their area.....then I would expect that the chief executive would provide some guidance if asked to do so.

Well, they do have views I guess.

I remember (as mentioned previously, working at LB Barking & Dagenham) when the new Chief Executive was appointed. All staff had to attend a speech. I remember him stating that costs cutting had to be made and that if any staff didn't like the new way of working, they knew where the door was. The guy was a breath of fresh air. He pointed out that he knew some staff looked down on council tenants and treated them as second class citizens. He said that everyone in the borough was entitled to receive the same level of service that one would expect to get from the private sector - no more shoddy workmanship, no more not turning up on time for appointments, etc.

And yes, some staff did leave.

^ I think paulb is getting a rough deal here. Look up to some other posts, he is not the only person who has expressed some concern. Besides, none of us know yet whether the new CEO will be good or not. We are all entitled to our opinions, and I'm a typical Libra - I try to see views from "opposing camps"!

David Clark's firm's website is here. His business partners include:

Paul Gatrill

- formerly Chief Executive of BP Holdings, Paul closed the largest property development deal in European history in the 1980's. Chartered as both a Structural Engineer and Surveyor, Paul has worked on almost every type of building, giving him a knowledge of construction second to none.

Ian R Clark

- Founding Director of Britoil and BNOC, as Chief Executive of Shetland Island's Council he oversaw the Sullom Voe development - the largest construction project in Europe at the time. He also directed the construction of Britoil's Glasgow Headquaters - a spectaular development later sold on by a certain Mr Gatrill...

Maybe it is these associates that helped him swing the deal, ie having inside knowledge of the oil industry. On Radio Shetland he gave the impression of being a hard man who could bring in projects under budget, which I think is something the SIC sorely needs. I hope his people skills are up to scratch and he doesn't alienate the staff and councillors in the process.

So why no criticism of the above and only comments made against paulb?

^I'm not putting the boot in.