Why Can't I Get A Job With A Mossbank Postcode?

Mattie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfair. lerwick folks do have a attitude about people from mossbank. after all most of the police reports are from there(or maybe not). we were warned not to go there when the wife got here job. we were warned that its a death sentence on the job front. this is just plain stupid as far as im concerned the vast majority of folks all over shetland are nice.

Mattie - now that we have established that large number of residents live in the ZE2 postcode areas, perhaps there is another reason why you can't get a job.

Is it your experience, your CV or interview skills that are letting you down, perhaps.

Although now retired, I must have conducted hundreds of interviews in my career and I was surprised how many candidates couldn't recall what was on their CV nor could they answer the basic interview questions.

Is it possob;e that it is the second part of the postcode that is causing the problem? As that is the part that tells folf exactly what area of ZE2 that you live in...

I found the same problem when I came here..As soon as i said I was from Firth there was a stoney silence and practically everyone i spoke to asked "Do you think you will stay " Must admit it got me worried as I had exchanged propertoes to come here and the peeps i made the house exchange with never mentioned the problems with the area...

I have since found it to be a fine area to stay with really nice peeps living here. Again I think the council should do more to change this perception of Mossbank and Firth

At our last Tennent Assos meeting this question was put to the housing officer and has been put to other housing staff and the answer we always get is that it has been a problem for 30 odd years and we just have to live with it..

I am sorry but I dont think that is the answer ...Nothing will change if SIC are prepared to just let things stay as they are

Regardless of Postcode, have you tried seeking employment "outside of the box"? (I'm a ZE2 postcode and have had no problem securing employment).

Buy a few stamps and send your CV to potential employers-you don't always have to wait for them to advertise-try on the offchance-what have you got to lose except a few stamps?

There are notice boards in both supermarkets in town where you can advertise yourself and any skills you may have, both of which are free.

Also, Shetlink is another way to do this-also free.

You could make up cards or posters to put up in local shops to your area.

You never know who might see them and want to immediately employ you!

Best of luck in your search.

WHY is living in Mossbank so bad? Why do employer's in Shetland never give you a job if you mention the Post Code ZE2!!

THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED :evil:

You say you live in Mossbank.. Folk cringe..

WHY!!

There is nothing with the place.

Give folks that stay here a break!!

It isn't nice being constantly slated as Shetland's depraved area!!

Because it isn't!!

It is a thriving community with a lot of nice people. Like the rest of Shetland.

So why do employer's continually disregard applications from here?

Mossbank has always had that kind of reputation. It stems back to the days of the socalled oil boom in Shetland, when the terminal was being built and all the workers were staying at the toft camp. Then the houses at Firth, and Mossbank were built to house the incoming workers, unfortunatly, the workers weren't needed forever, some went home some moved to BETTER parts of the island and some built thier own houses, finally the houses ended up in the hands of the council who obviously saw the houses as a good oppertunity to earn more revenue through rents and they didn't (and still don't) care about who they put in them. Thats where the reputation comes from< give a dog a bad name and all that. Yes I have to agree though, places like Brae, Virkie and Sandvien are equally as bad (if not worse at times) but you will never convince the majority that the minority are worth getting to know. :?

• 2 weeks later...

I have lived in mossbank for almost 35 years , since i was a toddler . i have seen many changes here . Yes the council did use Firth as a dumping ground for what sometimes were the dregs , if you like . There is a big turnover of residents . But we are not all bad . Mossbank is not Firth . I dont have to lock my door , key my car or worry when the kids are out playing .Neither me or my husband or any member of my family living here have ever had any problem getting a job with our postcode . possibly its more than the postcode that is turning off prospective employers .