Shetland football Team in Aland

Dusty Rhodes

Should Players be banned for life?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Players be banned for life?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that a pro or anti position. the lad was 22 away from home. lets face it he probably needed a drink after their results. now if he had done something wrong the let him be punished but im sure he did not intend to get picked up for being drunk and incapable. maybe if the sport means anything to him it may be a good way to encourage sensible behaviour.

Get him banned. These players should be trusted with drink not to get wasted. By all means have a few drinks, but these guys should be honoured to play for Shetland. I am not saying all the squad are like what the article said. It is just the stupid behaviour of a few individuals that have ruined it for everyone.

A disciplinary hearing may be held into the behaviour of 22-year-old Celtic forward Joe Leask, after he was arrested and taken into custody for his own safety having fallen asleep on the street in Mariehamn in the aftermath of Saturday night’s closing bash, although no charges were pressed and he was released within a few hours.

either he was drunk or really really tired!

Yeehaw lets get us a lynch mob together.

Get a grip ban them for getting drunk after a closing ceremony I doubt there is one of them who wouldn't be behaving exactly the same in Lerwick of a weekend.

Real smart move threaten to ban players you need to get to give up their spare time and holidays to play, what you'll probably do is alienate the rest of the players so you've got practically nobody willing to go out of their way to play.

By all means have a word with them but it's not exactly the British Olympic team, those boys had to raise the vast majority of the money to get there themselves they're not lotto funded, they're not professionals and after reading some of the pure pish on this forum being said about them I would totally understand if they told everyone to get stuffed.

^^^

Precisely - if he'd played in all of Shetland's games he had every right to be tired.

He might have over-indulged in the bevvy department, but I, for one, am not going to start criticising someone an the basis of something the Shetland Times reports.

Totally agree.

Who says he was incapable anyway? Is it not the case he was miles away from his digs in another country and felt his best option for the night was to find a comfy place to lay his head down? As far as I'm aware he wasn't sleeping 'on the streets' anyway I think this has been sensationalised just to make a story for the media!

Too many people out there like to be judge and jury! As far as the story reported goes he didn't harm or abuse anyone and if your talking about representing Shetland or any other Island or hometown, how many people can truly say they've never left these shores and been in a drunken stooper or behaved in a way a little less amicably with a few pints aboard or even without drink for that matter.

Live and let live.

ps. I have no association with the lad involved either it just annoys me when the demon 'drink' is ever mentioned. Jesus he's a young lad!

He was not the only one that was sleeping on the street, he wasn't drunken and incapable the decision had been made because they had no means of affording the 50 euro taxi ride back to their accommodation.

I assume when the disciplinary hearing have heard all the facts they will realise it was no where near as dramatic as the tabloids/MR Kerr are making it out to be.

SIGA and Bob Kerr are correct to stamp down on any behaviour that puts the Shetland Team in a bad light.

Any talk of bans however is laughable. Ok, a young player may have had a bit much to drink after a hard week of sport in hot conditions and fell asleep.....so what. The football team would have been itching to get out for drink and a laugh after a hard week, some get carried away......it happens. Slap on the wrist and a warning on future conduct is all that is required.