Shetland football Team in Aland

Dusty Rhodes

Should Players be banned for life?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Players be banned for life?

• yes
    • no

leaving the lad out of this. there is an issue here thou. if they are soft on heavy drinking(not saying the player was tipsy) they are giving a harmful message to the youth of Shetland. So it maybe worth sticking a code of conduct agreement when anyone represents Shetland in things like these games.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SIGA and Bob Kerr are correct to stamp down on any behaviour that puts the Shetland Team in a bad light.

Any talk of bans however is laughable. Ok, a young player may have had a bit much to drink after a hard week of sport in hot conditions and fell asleep.....so what. The football team would have been itching to get out for drink and a laugh after a hard week, some get carried away......it happens. Slap on the wrist and a warning on future conduct is all that is required.

If there is any action taken against this individual, I believe it will be as a result of the actions of some of his team mates and not just his own behaviour. I'm not talking about the whole football team but there was more than one of them that was WRECKED BEFORE the closing ceremony even started.

I found it embarrassing that they had Shetland written on their back and were that drunk that early in the evening. I doubt I was the only one that thought it inappropriate and if Joe is punished I would imagine it would be as a warning to the others.

That said, I saw Joe that night and he wasn't making as much of a fool of himself as soon others were - he shouldn't, imho, be banned from taking part in any further events. And I'd guess he'll be a lot more careful next time!

...those boys had to raise the vast majority of the money to get there themselves they're not lotto funded....

But the council does help fund the team as a whole.

If a pish-up is what people are after - go to Ibiza for a week. Everyone was reminded time and time again that we were there to represent Shetland. Everyone knew that from the start and if anybody didn't want to behave (or doesn't want to in the future), they don't have to sign up in the first place.

But the council does help fund the team as a whole.

If a pish-up is what people are after - go to Ibiza for a week. Everyone was reminded time and time again that we were there to represent Shetland. Everyone knew that from the start and if anybody didn't want to behave (or doesn't want to in the future), they don't have to sign up in the first place.

Yes but without the fund raising efforts of the team themselves the footballers wouldn't likely have gone to Aland.

My point which seems to be the same as yours is by all means have a word about future conduct but banning is a step too far. I don't condone the behaviour, I didn't see what happened but at the same time I'm not surprised or shocked about what is reported to have gone on. I just don't like seeing individuals getting picked on by lynch mobs.

I have noticed that 'Marooned in Maywick' was a little less sympathetic to Ferguson and McGregor. Is there really any different?

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8086

These two Scotland players, of course, deserved everything they got, but what makes the Shetland footballers any different? (regardless of any sensationalism by the Shetland Times?). There will always be some truth in the story.

At the end of the day, these guys were representing Shetland and have let the Isles down and more importantly themselves down. Everyone can make mistakes and do things that they regret. But, I think should have a lengthy ban. This way it will send out a message to others that the football team wishes to go up a level.

What a shame that the glorious feeling and achievement of the Shetland squad here, should not be tarnished by stupidy. By all means, have a blow out, but just keep it in house!

:shock: Where to start with this one.....

These two Scotland players, of course, deserved everything they got, but what makes the Shetland footballers any different?

What makes them different? They are not paid a fortune to do something that many would gladly do for nothing! There's a start. Neither are they professional athletes, they play because they love playing. They took holidays to go and play and "represent" only for people here to not only be ungrateful and slag them when they weren't as successful as some had hoped, but to be slagged when they go out and enjoy themselves at the closing ceremony! Why should they put up with this? They made a sacrifice to go and play, one that many others may not have done.

At the end of the day, these guys were representing Shetland and have let the Isles down and more importantly themselves down. Everyone can make mistakes and do things that they regret. But, I think should have a lengthy ban. This way it will send out a message to others that the football team wishes to go up a level.

What a load of rubbish. How have they let the isles down? By getting drunk? Honestly, the amount of "Holier than Thou" attitudes on here is scary! I'm sure that the boy in question will be embarrased enough as it is, having his name being the one dragged through the gutter.

Go up a level? Are you for real? People need to realise that the Shetland football team is playing at the level it belongs. If players were serious about stepping up a level they would hardly be bothering playing in the Shetland leagues, they'd be looking further afoot for games.[/b]

I have noticed that 'Marooned in Maywick' was a little less sympathetic to Ferguson and McGregor. Is there really any different?

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8086

Perhaps you'd care to reread what I wrote and point out where I've been less sympathetic to the two ex-Scotland players?

At the moment I'm undecided as to whether you're unwilling or unable to read and understand what I'd written.

I was totally gobsmacked by what I've read in the ST today. I was under the impression that all team members had to sign a code of conduct and any breach of conduct could result in a disiplinary hearing.

The code of conduct that I seen says that competitors and officials must be courteous and polite, conduct themselves with dignity and remember they are ambassadors of Shetland and they are guests of the host island.

If there is any of the story true I would think some of the conduct rules have been breached and as the rules are very clear then something needs to be done.

Is it not the case he was miles away from his digs in another country and felt his best option for the night was to find a comfy place to lay his head down? Exactly right ISOT!!

if i was in a foreign country and living miles away from the main hub of entertainment i would gladly take up a night in the cells in place of paying upwards of £50 for a taxi home. im sure when the games were here in shetland there were loads of drunken competitors seen wandering the streets of lerwick at 4am clueless where they were going. was there any song and dance about that? no!!

personally i think joe's mistake is just that, a drunken mistake! on the other hand, i dont agree with "some" of the squad being far too drunk for the closing ceremony. u learn from an early age, school age, that going away u are representing u're home school, team, country, etc. and for some of the boys to be too pissed for the closing ceremony which is still an event of the island games is a disgrace. i know they are grown men and should be able to look after themselves, but it all comes from the top. if john had said for them to take it easy on the drink until after the ceremony then by all means those players should be punished. but if he said nothing, then must john not take some flak too? prety poor management to me...

personally i think the tabloids have blown things out of the water. but if punishments are the road there going to go down, then so be it!!!

Just a couple of things.

Marooned in Maywick, where I felt that you didn't have any sympathy for Ferguson was is in one word. You used the word "shame" when mentioning that their Ibrox careers might have been over. If I picked you up wrong on that one then I apologise for misunderstaning.

Just a few points for nederlander. Bear in mind that although you paint me pretty negatively, I also said, everyone makes mistakes and should have a second chance. But there are other issues here.

My fundamental point is this. If the Island games is going to be treated as a serious competition, and if the Shetland football team want us to take them more seriously, then they ie. people taking part, they have to act accordingly. (professional or amateur). The Shetland FA have certainly uped their game in terms of coverage, self promotion and development over the past 10 years. This has included various things from their shirts being sold in local sports shops, to Peter Peterson (the model Shetland footballer) doing training with youngsters and giving them something to aspire to. This has also involved some highly published games with Cove Rangers and the Western Isles. These games just weren’t happening a few years ago. Its great they now are.

Just remember that our sports people were representing Shetland right up until they go on that plane back home. In other words, they were representing Shetland at the closing ceremony. There is enough problems with drink in our community without local footballers setting such a bad example at an event which others would have loved to have been at. I find it amusing that you think they made a “sacrifice to go and playâ€. Bear in mind also I said that yes they’d let the Isles down, but they’d also let themselves down!!!

A load of rubbish.???. Nothing wrong with getting drunk. Sometimes its where you do it, when and how that is the issue. Here is a perfect example. I didn’t ‘slag’ off the footballers for being drunk as such. Of course they’re entitled to a blow out. But, spending a night in a prison cell is different!! I can assure you that I am not ‘Holier than Though’. I like a good scoop now and again myself. The Shetland Times is only doing what any newspaper should do – report on events. Sometimes they might get some facts wrong or exaggerated. But, where there is smoke there is fire!! I do feel for the lad in question, because we all did very silly things when we were at his age. I hope that it’s a learning curve for him