europe should we stay or should we go?

marlin13

should a national poll be held to determine whether we should stay in europe  

22 members have voted

1. 1. should a national poll be held to determine whether we should stay in europe

• yes as soon as possible
    • yes immediately after next elections(uk)
    • don't know
    • no
    • I don't belive in referendums

Political and economic integration makes war within Europe so unlikely as to be virtually inconceivable.

I hope you're right, and now that the EU has grown to the size it has with such a diverse membership, you probably are, however there was a while when the membership was more of a clique with an inner circle of founding members, that civil war seemed a distinct possibility.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not agree with the European union being responsible for peace in our time , not there has ever been any total peace mind you .

The only thing that has prevented a conflict comparable to world war two are the weapons various countries now have and I am talking about nuclear weapons in particular .

That is the kind of statement the gravy swilling elite love , it's great e.u propaganda to fool the masses.

And now with the birth of an E.U army , navy and airforce is a possibility on the horizon , what comes next ?

Mind you I am not against free trade , migration of people ( if controlled by each individual country in line with the opportunities in those lands)

Co-operation on the big issues which affect across borders etc ,etc.

Its just control of regional matters by an un-democratic centalised elite which costs vast sums of money to maintain which i cannot suffer and will never agree with

I have been trying quite hard to find real reasons for staying within europe but am struggling to think of any. Please feel free to suggest some.

Today is rather an apt day to be asking this question. We can complain all we want about the EU, and there are many things wrong with it, but in its original purpose it has been very successful. Less than a century ago, two wars were fought within Europe and millions of people died; today we squabble about incompatible national interests and pointless beurocracy. The second option may not be great, but it's definitely better than the first. Political and economic integration makes war within Europe so unlikely as to be virtually inconceivable.

I dont agree at all, now with an ever more powerful union, and close ties with the Americans, we will find it much easier when it comes to attacking countries like Iran for political reasons (stealing their oil, like what we managed with Iraq) It will be much easier for for the elitists to start wars based on there own warped ideologies.

An EU superpower will result in more spilled blood than separate countries. It hands power to the elites to do what every they want for their own agendas. I can not understand why in this modern day some of us want to hand over democracy absolutely.

Consolidated democracies tend not to go to war with each other, usually because of trade interests of being a member of a supranational organization, like the EU.

If the EU can help to consolidate the democracies of the Eastern Bloc and prevent another Kosovo war, I'm all for it.

So it would seem I wasn't that wrong after all there are or would cerainly seem to be from the lack of pro europe reponses, very few if any reasons for staying in europe.

But of course we will stay in as virtuallyall politicians see it as the gold plated gravy train which they hop on after the electorate have given up on them and kicked them out of office in this country.

People gaze fascinated at one or two familiar superficialities, such as possessions, income, rank and other outworn conceptions. As long as these are kept intact, they are quite satisfied. But in the meantime they have entered a new relation; a powerful social force has caught them up. :?

Do ya mean they've discovered online bingo then? :wink:

ive said it before and ill say it again, propaganda, it would be nice if we were stealing thier oil, which we are not, as it may offset the cost of the bombs, and then we could buy more bombs.

Imagine if America decided it wanted some mineral from Britain. They came in and killed a million people and installed their own form of government.

There are innocent people in Iran who will die if we declare war on them. To crush the Middle East all the USA has to do is to decrease their insane military budget and pump billions into researching a renewable energy.

If they can discover something which is good for the environment and infinite... Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and UAE will probably all collapse economically. From where the USA will probably move in and install their christian democracies.

it would be nice if we were stealing thier oil, which we are not, as it may offset the cost of the bombs, and then we could buy more bombs.

Oh we are not directly stealing it, but we are stealing it. Iraq is set to massively increase its output, which means we all get cheaper oil, or should I say a delay in price rises due to other fields now in decline.

We needed that oil on the world market, now we have it. Mission accomplished.

Iran joining the EU? I want nothing to do with the EU, let alone Iran. Iran is not even geographically part of Europe. An argument for Europe cropped up earlier in the thread, which was that an all powerful EU will stop blood being spilt, I was merely pointing out a flaw in this argument. I fail to see how its my fault the thread has as you put it, gone off topic :?