Council budget cuts

sheltie87

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folllowing the single status aggrement, the DLO is now extremely expensive to run and provides a very inefficient service - a service which could be provided much cheaper (and better) by the private sector.

That's quite a statement with nothing to back it up so far.

All I know is that the SIC DLO Maintenance section win their fair share of road improvement contracts when competing against private companies under compulsory competitive tendering. Their workmanship is excellent too. In my experience I have found that some of the larger mainland of Scotland based construction firms tended to win contracts with a low price then submit claims. I have not experienced that with SIC DLO yet.

Maybe you know better though. :?

In round figures, the SIC has an annual budget of approx £100 million, of which approx £50 million is swallowed up in paying staff.

If it is accepted that for the council to live within it's means, the annual budget has to be reduced. For that to happen, either services are severely reduced, staff are reduced, or a combination of both

But still they insist and then incur huge costs on looking at Tunnels, just to satisfy the few.

It's not that Tunnels are wrong, it's just that The SIC Budget can't afford it.

80 million will rise to 100 million by the time arses are in gear, with a cost in lost Interest of 4-5 million p.a, every year.

The 250 million safety floor net looks like it could be up for a hammering in the future.

Ok, bring on the Windmills then :roll:

they can't afford it. they need to get on with building the ferry terminals as cheaply as possible.

How's this for saving an instant circa £100,000.

Delete Morgan's sidekick post aka. Assistant CE.

Delete Clarkie's sidekick post aka. Head of Capital Programming.

Get a competent and able CE who will cover both of the above and their other duties. Exactly like they used to do before Morgan fancied the idea of a full time teaboy.

:lol: Unlinked student, you really have got a bee in your bonnet about other peoples work practises :lol:

OK I shouldn't reply but what the heck...

As for SIC,why do you assume everyone is dishonest and taking a lend? Also why do you think that it is over staffed with people lollygagging around both in SIC and Education?

I have actually worked for a local authoritiy where I had a vehicle, getting to work and back wasn't free, it was taxed. I'd have rather got to work myself and then got the landrover but it was seen un-necessarily awkward for the department as I'd have to leave it at a depot, then drive to the office in the landy while leaving my car in the coucil depot. They simply didn't have the space to allow people to do this it was better for the council for people to take the vehicles home.

As for private sector, well, it depends on the private sector you're talking about I guess, as it's private I guess every company has it's own system depending on what it's business is.

I continue to find it amazing how this is such a bif topic in light of other major saving that could be made. It actually helps the system work better...

zzzzzzzzzzz............ :arrow:

Longdog - I am entitled to contribute to a topic just as you are. One could argue that you have a bee in your bonnet too.

I have not assumed that everyone is dishonest within the SIC but have merely questioned whether or not the SIC are monitoring it correctly.

Please show me and quote where I stated that it was overstaffed with people lollygagging around both in SIC and Education? I haven't. For starters, I have never used the word "lollygagging".

Yes you are entitled to contribute BUT you go ON AND ON AND ON AND ON FOR GOD'S SAKE GIVE IT A REST

as Longdog stated :evil: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :evil:

Your constant opinion is getting boring plus if you are not happy with the way things are run up here, go back to London.

On another note you should change your user name to Duracell (go on and on and on)

If you care to look back at the threads on which I have posted, you will see that I do also dish out praise. For example, I have, on numerous occasions, praised the gritters. There are other services that deserve praise and I wouldn't hesitate in giving praise where it is due.

I have no intention of returning to London and will not be changing my user name to Duracell either.

Your constant opinion is getting boring plus if you are not happy with the way things are run up here, go back to London.

On another note you should change your user name to Duracell (go on and on and on)

You could try skipping posts that have "unlinkedstudent" in the top left corner if that's your opinion, I hear it works more effectively than taking a pop.

All I know is that the SIC DLO Maintenance section win their fair share of road improvement contracts when competing against private companies under compulsory competitive tendering. Their workmanship is excellent too. In my experience I have found that some of the larger mainland of Scotland based construction firms tended to win contracts with a low price then submit claims. I have not experienced that with SIC DLO yet.

Maybe you know better though. :?

The single status agreement for the DLO was like turkeys voting for Christmas

They now have:

an hourly rate higher than the private sector for the equivilent trade; massive employer contributions to their gold plated pension pot;

shorter working week than private sector;

brand new fully equiped vans whether needed or not:

poor workrate, and long breaktimes at the Co-op

All of the above being charged back to SIC departments who are not allowed to bring in private sector companies to carry out any work cheaper and quicker.

And then there is the pink holidays :wink:

^^

:lol: :lol:

You didn't really answer the post you quoted me on.

How on earth do they win contracts when competing against private firms if they are as bad as you portray them to be ?

By using the cash cow of the Scord Quarry, with it's bitmac monopoly to subsidise the rest of its operations !

an hourly rate higher than the private sector for the equivilent trade; massive employer contributions to their gold plated pension pot;

Assuming all of these are true, what's to say that treating a workforce nicely doesn't result in a better job getting done? People tend to be motivated by having the best tools and a decent wage.

It's not always about working harder; working better is good too.

Just a thought...

Assuming all of these are true, what's to say that treating a workforce nicely doesn't result in a better job getting done? People tend to be motivated by having the best tools and a decent wage.

It's not always about working harder; working better is good too.

Just a thought...

Not necessarily a bad thing if it were a private firm being nice.

In this case though, it is a local authority who are funded by us the council taxpayer, who do not have an option to use another provider.

Any local authority has a duty to its tax payers to provide its services as cheaply and efffiently as possible.

The SIC are in place to provide services to the whole population of Shetland, not just to provide highly paid posts to a select few of the residents.

The problem could be (and I'm not saying that it is) that if they are putting in low bids for work and doing it at a loss, then it would be subsidised by the tax payer (and the Scord Quarry?) and doing the private contractors out of work. That would be unfair competition, and is not what the local council should be about.

^^

:lol: :lol:

You didn't really answer the post you quoted me on.

How on earth do they win contracts when competing against private firms if they are as bad as you portray them to be ?

By using the cash cow of the Scord Quarry, with it's bitmac monopoly to subsidise the rest of its operations !

What they may gain on the bitmac rates they may lose on the earthworks rates you'd think. :wink: After all they are getting earthworks rates from sub contractors who are tendering as main contractors for the same contract. e.g. MKL, Tulloch's, Garriock Bros. etc.

Maybe it's better contract management ?

Some housing repair work is carried out by private contractors - they are short on joiners/glazers and I know somebody who had their window repaired on behalf of SIC by a private firm.

With conditions like stirrer has just posted above, why would the SIC be short on joiners etc ? :lol: