Independence for Shetland!

Jonners

Where do you stand?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand?

• Full independence
    • Crown dependency
    • Keep the status quo

I hoop dat somtheen good comes ot o dis,shood we be bak in Norwegian hands? shood we be independant? shood we stay we scotland? cmon shaetlandirs wakin up! tak an interest in wir islands future, we hiv da powir tae decide if we cood onli b ersed!!!! Good fur de mr. Hill, whaydir du wins ir no at lest du's tried somthin and hits tae wir ain shame dat wis shaetlandirs didna bak de up. ir at lest pursue dis tae se whit da otcom wid b. metinks alot o shaetlandirs wid secritly lik tae se dis gaen tae da court!

(watch ot mr. Hill if da Sneaky Scots invite de tae a peace treaty banquet mynd whit happend tae da picts!!!!!.)

This is kinda sidelining this thread a bit but I have to ask. What happens if he wins and shows that Scots/British law has never been enforceable here? Do all the convicted drug dealers/rapists/bank robbers/paedophiles etc. get out of jail with a big cheque for wrongful imprisonment?

Do we want to get told we're all now Norwegian subjects?

Do I have to watch Coronation Street with subtitles?

If i'm in Aberdeen when the court ruling is made will I no longer have a valid gripe against Northlink for wanting my passport before I can get home? :wink:

It'll certainly be interesting to see what comes of it!

This is kinda sidelining this thread a bit but I have to ask. What happens if he wins and shows that Scots/British law has never been enforceable here? Do all the convicted drug dealers/rapists/bank robbers/paedophiles etc. get out of jail with a big cheque for wrongful imprisonment?

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but he doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning. I've not seen a single interview with a lawyer who agrees with him.

^^ The Danish king was also the Norwegian king, two seperate posts, but held by the same person, and in pawning us he was acting in his capacity as Norwegian monarch only, the Danish crown only had a hold on us because they had a hold on the whole of Norway, a bit like Westminster only has hold of us now because they have hold of all of Scotland. Or that's how I understand it anyway.

I believe though that in the Act of Dissolution (or whatever it was called) in 1814, when Denmark and Norway separated, it was Denmark that retained the (theoretical) rights to Shetland, along with Faroe, Iceland and Greenland.

No, actually Faroe, Iceland and Greenland were specifically mentioned in the treaty of Kiel to remain with Denmark. Some scholars have pointed out that early drafts of the treaty text do not have that point. It also looks like a late adittion as it is gramatically awkward in the final text. So it seems that was a late and smart move on the part of the Danish negotiators. Shetland was not mentioned, but the text goes to great lenghts to ensure ALL things belonging to Norway go to Sweden. Now to completely mess things up Norway does not actually recognise the treaty of Kiel. According to that Norway was supposed to become something of a personal estate of the Swedish king and Norwegians were given no wheight. In stead Norway declared independence, elected a parliament and got a democratic constitution. After a brief war the Convention of Moss became the grounds for the Union of Norway and Sweden.

The Danish government has in later years recognised that the Shetland/Orkney issue has nothing to do with them. I saw it in some documents posted online by a Danish parliament comitte that was trying to make some sense of all old laws and regulations ever given by a Danish government and formally abolish things that had gone out of use. They stated that the Danish government didn't have to do anything with the laws on Shetland as those "rights" were Norwegian.

But I'm all most certain the last time Denmark looked into Shetland was in the seventies. One of my grandfather's stories was of being at a dinner with the Queen and discussing it with her at the time. Seem to remember (was not actually alive at the time) that it was just as the whole oil thing was starting in the north sea. My grandfather's interest was that he holidayed here (Westburrafirth and Fairisle) and he found it great to have a debate in Danish for a change.

Love the way none of them cared at the time, we were worthless in their eyes. North sea oil was somthing that no one could ever have realised. I would love for use to revert just for a laugh as the SNP would be in a hard time (and i like the SNP), but would rather see them try and get out of that one, lol.

Would think the arabic one would be more useful in the long run. But Danish is easier.

(going to be bad and reply to post below here)

It's Mandarin not Chinese!!! There are several Chinese languages, Mandarin being the main language used. i-tunes has got quite a good free audio book the bairn is working through.

I am pleased to say I was able to trace down the danish law proposal from 2001. It states that any pawn documents in relation to Shetland would not be affected by the law proposal (with referall to an answer by the minister of justice) as the matter is Norwegian and not Danish. "Imidlertid synes det omtalte panteforhold ikke længere at være relevant for Danmark, da øerne tilhørte Norge og gælden (jf. justitsministerens besvarelse, bilag § 7-88, af 2. marts 2000 af Finansudvalgets spørgsmål nr. 26 af 25. januar 2000, bilag § 7-78 ) vedrørte Norge."

http://www.folketinget.dk/Samling/20001/lovforslag_som_fremsat/L202.htm

The following page is an english translation of the treaty text in which the King makes it quite clear that he is acting as King of Norway and that it is his successors as King of Norway who have the right to redeem the islands.

http://www.rosslyntemplars.org.uk/orkney&shetland.htm

In the Ph. D. thesis "Norges konges rike og hans skattland" by Randi Bjørshol Wærdahl (which is very interesting in this context) it is stated that the Norwegian council of the realm initiated proceedings to redeem Shetland and Orkney in 1483, 1512 and 1524 at least. http://www.diva-portal.org/diva/getDocument?urn_nbn_no_ntnu_diva-1810-1__fulltext.pdf

I get the feeling some may view me as some sort of Norwegian national romantic exentric when I post like this. I am not under any dillution that Shetland would ever again be "part of" Norway. Its just nice to think that there still might be some feelings of community between ancient cousins, I think.

Realisticly Shetland probably has more in common culturally with Scotland then Norway. (I dont know). However the history, commerse, common challenges regarding resources, nature and a whole bunch of other issues does make it even more sensible for Shetland to have close cooperation with Norway then it makes for Scotland itself.

In any case I am very interested in history and I think that if any Shetlanders and Norwegians should be the ones to get this part of history right.