The Shetlands (what's your take on this term?)

turrifield

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it occurs whilst chatting to someone then all you have to do is ask them where they are from and add an 's' to the end of it. See how the beggars like it then! :twisted: (Probably won't work in all situations but most should be fine)

Is there anybody from Shetland who doesn't see cringe when they hear or see the term "The Shetlands" used instead of Shetland or The Shetland Isles?

What should we do about it, grin and bare it or, try to correct it at every turn?

Bare whit :?:

Relax, its just them from the Scotlands and the Englands that tend to use this term. Americans also maybe, but given their level of global awareness, I think they're to be congratulated for just knowing the place exists.

The BBC is the key to this particlar conundrum though. Given their recent sensitivity to placename pronunciation - particularly of arabic and asian capitals - always a laugh to watch Paxo try to grapple his home county's tonsils around 'Ba-cchhh - rain' they're bound to be receptive to representations in this vein.

Direct an irate memo to the Beeb's Head of Parochial Appeasement and you'll be sorted.

What amazes me is the number of people who don't know where it is.

Fair enough if you get confused with some of the channel isles, Skye & the Hebrides, or find that Orkney is a bit of a blind-spot. However, surely the most northerly point of the UK should be of common knowledge? Especially when we’ve got the biggest oil refinery in Europe and hold the worlds biggest fire festival.

My girlfriend knew where Shetland was and she’s from Toronto. Maybe some people south are just ignorant?

What does it matter? Its essentially the same thing, and Shetland is a series of many islands, thus plural= Shetlands

:evil: Oh, how it irk's me! You widna say "Oh, you're from the Irelands, very nice" wid you? It's stupid and it annoys me and it needs tae go intae room 101. I reckon there should be some kind of punishment for even thinking it.

"Oh James, you're from the Lerwicks and originally the Burras" :roll:

There's only one Shetland!

PoolHaddock wrote

You widna say "Oh, you're from the Irelands, very nice" wid you?

Well yes perhaps you would since there are two "Irelands" and you might not want to say which one you came from. Ok so there are two "Shetlands" as well but I cant see any problem admiting which one you came from.

PoolHaddock wrote
You widna say "Oh, you're from the Irelands, very nice" wid you?

Well yes perhaps you would since there are two "Irelands" and you might not want to say which one you came from. Ok so there are two "Shetlands" as well but I cant see any problem admiting which one you came from.

I come from the nice sunny one, with all the nice people...who call it Shetland!