Bill Bailey... Clickimin... May?

JAStewart

^ On Facebook, if you become a 'fan' of Shetland Arts they have a news feed that contains most of the events going on. That's what got me a ticket :wink: I noticed it there before my Shetland Times RSS feed picked it up. It's amazing how Shetland has been grippit we Facebook lately.

I'm so chuffed he's coming to Shetland, never expected that! :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutted that it wasn't publicised in advance. If I had known the I would have been there on Friday morning.

Why should I support Shetland Arts on Facebook just to hear about gigs that aren't going to be advertised until after the tickets have nearly sold out?

What about folk that don't have any access to the internet?

^ Sorry to hear you didn't get a ticket, but it was also publicised on the Shetland Times website, Bill Bailey's website and Radio Shetland on the day the tickets were put on sale

The promoter wanted to make the tickets available straight away through the Box Office so there wasn't time to publicise in advance

I think the salient point here is that the news spreads faster via the internet than by traditional means such as newspaper advertising. Those monitoring information feeds via Twitter, facebook etc find stuff out when the information goes public. You don't have to follow Shetland Arts on Twitter and FB but be prepared to miss out. Internet usage for this kind of thing is the norm. Welcome to the modern world.

Any "but what about those who don't have access to the internet" comments are futile - those without the internet are *already* missing out on many things not just the occasional performance in Shetland. I appreciate there is a cost issue, but do you ban cars because not everyone can afford it? What about TV advertising - isn't that prejudicial to those without TV? The internet is a part of life now, and yes it does widen the information gap but short of turning it off what can you do?

Another question arises though about the lack of a Shetland Box Office site independent of Shetland Arts - so you can follow the ticket availability without getting informed about knitting and gallery stuff that may not be of interest to some subscribers.

As effecient an advertising medium as it is, the internet isn't even close to matching the speed these things get around by word of mouth.

I would suspect most of the tickets went to people who heard via the good old Shetland grapevine. I, for one, found out about it miles from the internet access, mobile signal, or landline for that matter! Hence my lack of tickets..

...so far *crosses fingers*

I would suspect most of the tickets went to people who heard via the good old Shetland grapevine. I, for one, found out about it miles from the internet access, mobile signal, or landline for that matter! Hence my lack of tickets..

...so far *crosses fingers*

So where did you hear about the tickets that are going on sale on Friday? :wink:

Another question arises though about the lack of a Shetland Box Office site independent of Shetland Arts - so you can follow the ticket availability without getting informed about knitting and gallery stuff that may not be of interest to some subscribers.

Hi There. Shetland Arts is working hard with Shetland Islands Council and other partners to get an Online Box Office up and running by this summer. The introduction of the new computerised Shetland Box Office last year (over 35,000 tickets sold through it so far) was the first stage. So, for those of you who do have access to the internet it wont be long before you will be able to buy your tickets online through a dedicated Shetland Box Office site. Of course telephone sales, face to face sales will still be available. We are also looking at ticket kiosks too in a variety of locations. For Shetland Arts this all part of the gearing up for Mareel, but there are obvious wider benefits. So hold on in there, not long now – in the meantime you best keep plugged into those various social networking sites. Oh and just for the record everybody - the Bill Bailey gig isn’t a Shetland Arts event – we just helped spread the word.

I was truly gutted when I didn't hear immediately about when the tickets for Dylan Moran coming to Shetland were to be available and it sold out before I could get access to buying a ticket, in person or by phone.

I see the Bill Bailey ticket I now possess as karmic justice. 8)