peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Northlink were hugely helpful. I asked them if I could book leaving it to the last minute if I cancelled, in case the flight went after all, and they were great, saying that was no problem.

I must've phoned them about 6 times to check various things as I was sending my teenagers down unaccompanied (first time) and they did their very best to reassure, help and offer advice.

Full marks Northlink and thank you.

Do you think Northlink would still be getting the same praise on this thread if someone had decided it was the Orkney people who had to get to and fro?

To remove both services from Orkney is very unfair IMO. They didnt have to call along every time, but could at least have kept some connection.

Whilst OK if you knew about it even a few days in advance, I know two cases where people were due to travel on and are now stuck without onward travel from aberdeen should they go (unless they chance catching the last busses at 19.15, or one of the two remaining trains at extortionate prices) and another case where a whole holiday has been lost because of the last minute change.

One would assume at least 50% of each boatload of passengers would be in similar positions.

Thats why I don't understand is the logic of having the early sailings from this end, after all people coming home who are stranded won't care what time they get here, very few people arriving in Shetland will have pre-booked expensive travel connections to make. So the change beggers up those travelling south "as normal" for no real reason.

it may sound a bit unfair but mabye the orkney lifeline service isnt the one from aberdeen to kirkwall as its not daily thats the shetland lifeline service which is utilised to go to orkney. we only have the one ferry ppl in orkney still have the pentland ferries crossing, think they should bear in mind that they have 3 very good ferry services in 3 differnt ports under normal circumstances.

must admit i find it a bit strange that the hammnavoe was tasked to go to norway but ive no doubt questions will be asked about this.

If the people of Orkney think it is unfair to take their "lifeline" ferry away to do some sort of emergency repatriation of people stuck in Norway then presumably they will also think it is unfair to take one of our lifeline ferries away to cover the dry docking of their ferry. Well that gets us a better winter service so thanks Orkney!.

Another issue with our so called "lifeline" service. This morning I was unable to collect prescription medicines as the pharmacy was waiting for a delayed delivery. As it happens this is not overly urgent but it could have been. Something that Northlink and the Government need to consider when thinking about the port of Aberdeen.

"could have" - you nailed it there. Neither Northlink nor the Government function on could haves. A "lifeline" is way way different from a life threatening issue. If needs be (and the Sumburgh chopper crew demonstrated my point last weekend) then people will respond.

"Could have" meaning that another medicine I needed could have been more urgent than the one that was delayed. I certainly am not happy that any medicine that my doctor has told me to take becomes unavailable because our "Lifeline Ferry" service cannot leave Aberdeen. Maybe this is something the pharmacy needs to discuss with NHS Shetland but being told that my pills are not available is not acceptable in this day and age.

If the people of Orkney think it is unfair to take their "lifeline" ferry away to do some sort of emergency repatriation of people stuck in Norway then presumably they will also think it is unfair to take one of our lifeline ferries away to cover the dry docking of their ferry. Well that gets us a better winter service so thanks Orkney!.

Since when were both Northlink Ferries "ours"?

Dare I ask what your arrangements for the dry dock period would be?

Could have meaning that another medicine I needed could have been more urgent than the one that was delayed. I certainly am not happy that any medicine that my doctor has told me to take becomes unavailable because our Lifeline Ferry service cannot leave Aberdeen. Maybe this is something the pharmacy needs to discuss with NHS Shetland but being told that my pills are not available is not acceptable in this day and age.

Are you having a dig at the ferries or NHS Shetland/pharmacies for not keeping enough stock?

Since when were both Northlink Ferries "ours"?

Dare I ask what your arrangements for the dry dock period would be?

Seem to remember that the Stromness to Scrabster service is a separate tender from the Aberdeen--Lerwick service and therefore I think the operator of the Orkney service should find their own ship to cover for the dry docking. And in fact I am tempted to think that if the contract is for a nightly service in each direction then the operator of that route should also find a replacement vessel for the dry docking period.

The only reason they have decided to take Hamnavoe over to Norway is because one of our ferries is in drydock, otherwise they would automatically have taken that. It is obviously a good idea in terms of actual proximity and is hardly the end of the world for Orkney, even if it causes inconvenience to a small minority.

This may also help to 'educate' some in Orkney who take multiple travel options for granted, that we in Shetland may have a point when we complain of having our ferry timetabling dictated by the needs of Orkney businesses.

Could have meaning that another medicine I needed could have been more urgent than the one that was delayed. I certainly am not happy that any medicine that my doctor has told me to take becomes unavailable because our Lifeline Ferry service cannot leave Aberdeen. Maybe this is something the pharmacy needs to discuss with NHS Shetland but being told that my pills are not available is not acceptable in this day and age.

Are you having a dig at the ferries or NHS Shetland/pharmacies for not keeping enough stock?

Perhaps I am having a dig at either NHS Shetland or the pharmacies if the stock levels of essential medicines are not sufficiently high to cover for any interruptions to the delivery system. After all if I am told that I have to take so many pills a day I am kind of worried at the thought of not being able to get what the doctor says I need because of weather related delays or because one of the lifeline ferries has gone away to have its bottom scraped.

Seem to remember that the Stromness to Scrabster service is a separate tender from the Aberdeen--Lerwick service and therefore I think the operator of the Orkney service should find their own ship to cover for the dry docking. And in fact I am tempted to think that if the contract is for a nightly service in each direction then the operator of that route should also find a replacement vessel for the dry docking period.

I think you will find it is all part and parcel of the same contract and hence the greater 'linkage' of Orkney and Shetland services.

I think you will find it is all part and parcel of the same contract and hence the greater 'linkage' of Orkney and Shetland services.

I thought it was a joint contract. Anyway, I doubt any shipping company would enter a contract forcing them to hire extra ferries for the dry docking period. Expensive and not necessary. One boat can easily service the needs of the isles for a short period.

Perhaps I am having a dig at either NHS Shetland or the pharmacies if the stock levels of essential medicines are not sufficiently high to cover for any interruptions to the delivery system. After all if I am told that I have to take so many pills a day I am kind of worried at the thought of not being able to get what the doctor says I need because of weather related delays or because one of the lifeline ferries has gone away to have its bottom scraped.

Can't really blame the boats for that. All on NHS Shetland/pharmacies as far as I can see. Timetables are published well in advance so they should have an idea of how much to keep in stock. Weather delays can always be longer than expected though which makes any emergency planning difficult.