Total Accommodation

bug

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/May/news/Totals%20giant%20dormitory%20goes%20on%20display.htm

Yes! - a win win situation at last - a state of the art "village" to house some temporary workers AND a solution (when the workers depart) to the local housing waiting list problem. Surely the SIC should insist that the dorm will be good for at least 20 years. The "Swedish" houses in Bruce Crescent in Lerwick were supposedly only good for 20 years when they were built 50 years ago but they're still going strong and looking good. We could call it Total town..... Like Toy Town but not so close to Brae.

Guest Anonymous

hostel no a bad idea , but there would of course be the deviants who would reap havoc in the tug jettys :shock: , big razor wire fence tho of course , keep them in it

They're going to "Build it, Use it and flatten it". Plus there will be a entertainments suite, Bar, Restaraunt, Cinema, Church, Reading rooms, Games rooms (pool, Snooker etc). All designed to keep the workers contained away from Shetlands community. Oh and this also means their money!

• 3 weeks later...

Have not seen any mention of how the workers are going to get to and from Shetland once the project is up and running. Are they going to be travelling on the normal Loganair/Flybe services in which case I fear a sudden shortage of cheap fares or will they be using the Northlink ferries in which case we can expect a shortage of space on the ships at times?.

I wonder if the planning consent ought to insist that Total and its subcontractors provide transport to and from the mainland for at least the majority of the workers.

^^^

You'd have thought that Scatsta would be heavily used but it doesn't sound like that is very likely. I seem to remember the use of charter planes running into sumburgh being mentioned in one of the earlier news stories. Hopefully the normal means of getting to and from shetland will not suddenly be overwhelmed with construction chappies!

I met a very nice chap last month on the ferry who was coming up to work on the Total Project. Granted, only one bod but that was the method by which he got here. He was going to be staying in a B&B so at least some money there going into the local economy.

The complex won't be built overnight but it does seem a shame if they are to flatten it afterwards.

They're going to "flatten it", but only to build it up again elsewhere. The modules are designed for large scale building sites and are moved about as required.

It is not intended nor designed to be a permanent structure.

It's also important to remember this will only be careting for a percentage of the workforce, there will be plenty left looking for local accomodation/services, probably more than the current infrastructure can offer by a considerable margin.

• 10 months later...

Anybody else seen the 25+ trailer loads of accomodation units at Holmsgarth?. As I understand it they are the accomodation for the workers who will construct the big main accomodation unit.

I've been told that they are being shipped to Sullom Voe by one of the NorthLink freight ships this weekend.

The reason that a NorthLink feight ship is being used is because alledgedly the SIC won't allow them to be moved by road.

I feel for the Shetland haulage firms because that would have been a big chunk of work but now it's lost because of the SIC....who will probably get harbour dues from the Helliar/Hildasay using Sullom Voe....

No photos?

The could be too big to be transported on the road?

We have large deliveries of power transmission equipment here.

They come down the Ribble, off loaded then folk from the council have to go ahead to take down center island furniture and other obstructions.

Why not try asking them, they are YOUR council.

Anybody else seen the 25+ trailer loads of accomodation units at Holmsgarth?. As I understand it they are the accomodation for the workers who will construct the big main accomodation unit.

I've been told that they are being shipped to Sullom Voe by one of the NorthLink freight ships this weekend.

The reason that a NorthLink feight ship is being used is because alledgedly the SIC won't allow them to be moved by road.

I feel for the Shetland haulage firms because that would have been a big chunk of work but now it's lost because of the SIC....who will probably get harbour dues from the Helliar/Hildasay using Sullom Voe....

Can't help but love a good old bit of jumping to conclusions

or is think a poor attempt at an aprils fool?

http://www.bodyofwealth.com/images/bush-yawning_5106.jpg