Shetland banks - best online banking?

peeriebryan

I do most of my banking online, but its handy to have a local branch.

I'm currently with the Bank of Scotland - very happy with the face to face service but not too impressed with the online facilities. I'm thinking of opening an account with another bank, with a branch in Shetland and better online facilities.

What do you folks think of the online services offered by your bank(s)?

I wouldn't say I've had any problems with BoS online, it's just feels clunky and the interface hasn't been updated since I started using it many moons ago.

BoS can do the basics, such as viewing statements, paying bills etc, but there's none of the analytical, budgeting or reporting tools offered by other banks, and there's no way to view information other than in the same way as it appears on a paper statement (i.e a chronological list of income and outgoings)

I have an account with BoS and my main Acc with Clydesdale, and Clydesdale win hands down. They have the reporting and exporting tools you seem to be looking for and, importantly, regularly change their login process.

The biggest issue for online banking specific to Shetland, IMO anyway, is security. For example the BoS give you : First School, Fathers First name, Mothers First Name, and place of birth as security questions. Not exactly secure in a close community like this!

I dont think it's fair for me to comment on local service as I've gotten to know the Clydesdale staff very well over the years so would obviously rank them above the others. Can't think of any negatives in 20+ years though so that likely says something.

I have an account with BoS and my main Acc with Clydesdale, and Clydesdale win hands down. They have the reporting and exporting tools you seem to be looking for and, importantly, regularly change their login process.

The biggest issue for online banking specific to Shetland, IMO anyway, is security. For example the BoS give you : First School, Fathers First name, Mothers First Name, and place of birth as security questions. Not exactly secure in a close community like this!

I dont think it's fair for me to comment on local service as I've gotten to know the Clydesdale staff very well over the years so would obviously rank them above the others. Can't think of any negatives in 20+ years though so that likely says something.

they have just changed it in the last few days

Yes HBOS has just changed and thanks to the change some monkey gained access to my account and tried to withdraw £750 to some RBS account on friday, thankfully it was picked up by Halifax security centre and they called to verify it was not me but I still have the hassle of having my account suspended untill my new password comes through the post.

Antivirus/firewall/antimalware never picked up on it till I did a deep scan on Sat morning

Aliases

Not available

Alert Level (?)

Severe

Antimalware protection details

Detection initially created:

Definition: 1.89.242.0

Released: Aug 24, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary

This threat is classified as a Trojan - Password Stealer. Typically, a password stealing trojan installs a keystroke logger (commonly referred to as a keylogger) which records keystrokes and sends the recorded information to remote attackers. Some keyloggers monitor only keystrokes involved in specific types of web-based transactions. For example, a keylogger may include a component that monitors browser activity, only recording keystrokes when certain bank or ecommerce sites are accessed. Other types of password-stealing trojans include those that capture screenshots in an attempt to bypass graphic-based security measures. This threat is detected by the Microsoft antivirus engine. Technical details are not currently available.

More details are available in the Family description of Win32/Zbot

peenk wrote

Yes HBOS has just changed and thanks to the change some monkey gained access to my account and tried to withdraw £750 to some RBS account on friday
So your security software on your computer let you down and you blame HBOS?. A good reminder to all of us to keep all our security stuff up to date.

I too lost money through HBOS, but this was through the actual branch. The teller(s), on two separate occasions, let a man who had absolutely nothing to do with my bank account remove a total of £1300. I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not doing something about it then (this was several years back) but I was afraid of getting my head kicked in by the thief. Meh.