Save Shetland Coastguard

millie

The link doesn't work and I know that a new building has been identified for the southern RCC or MOC or whatever you want to call it. Not bought or leased but identified and that the security of any other station in the country has not been guaranteed. When you post comments such as you just have, you raise the hopes of the staff who work in Shetland but don't really know the full story. Let's do everyone a favour and only publish the truth.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Fish gutters, weavers and unemployed,

I read your link to the news article in the previous comments. I am concern with a few things regarding it.

1. Why does the government source wish to remain anon.?

2. Was this a plan to canvas the shetland islanders votes to ensure the lib dems got re-elected?

3. Now the Lib Dems are re-elected will this report disappear along with shetland coastguard?

4. Cant maintain comms with shetland!!!! Come on guys, i can call Australia for as long as i like on my £9.99 pound stretcher mobile phone for as long as i can fund the credit!!!

Now now chaps...No need for unpleasantness. Whilst I (and I would think the majority of the country) would hate to see the loss of any emergency service cover, there is always two sides to every story. I read an article in a local cornish newspaper on which a reader had made an interesting comment.....Why, when we hear every week of Falmouth Coastguard co-ordinating rescues around the world, are some people so worried about co-ordinating a rescue down the road in Brixham. Food for thought. Perhaps this is confirming my ignorance...Maybe someone will tell me :wink:

Very interesting that a review of the document is taking place.

Hopefully this will make the proposals more acceptable.

As long as the analysists of the questions are composed of a equal cross section of the coastguard.

Imagine if for instance part of this review team had a MRCC Stornoway influence and no MRCC Shetland influence, then how could the concerns of Shetland Ops room be taken into account.

I understand that this is meant to be a unbais review and a united view of a new and improved coastguard service. Unfortunately we are all human and everyone has a hidden agenda when it comes to our lively hoods and family lives.

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13875822

Plans to close coastguard centres around the UK raise "serious safety concerns" and have little support, a report by MPs has warned.

The government had wanted to reduce the number of coastguard centres open 24 hours a day from 18 to three.

But a Commons transport committee report said safety would be jeopardised if the proposals went ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you were at the meeting, BT admitted that it would take several hours to patch from Microwave to fiber and back,

We are talking of a ConDemNation who not only has to keep it self in power but run the country.

There have been that many backtracks and, a LCC Tory said,

we don't u turn, we j turn
that we are subject to a Tory wish list it seems.