Shetland Isles or just Shetland?

I always say Shetland, though many online 'put in your postcode and house number/name' type things often have Shetland Islands.

Many of my English friends say Shetlands, if I tell them they are wrong they do it all the more :( *sigh*.

Actually, do you even need Shetland? Isn't it technically like a county? Royal Mail dropped them ages ago?

So, in fact you could have

99 Generic Rd

Lerwick

ZE1 XXX

in the same that you would have

99 Generic Rd

Oxford

OX1 xxx

Technically wouldn't even need Lerwick, as long as you have a house name/number and a postcode :P

Quick edit, just thought of something, any reason why is the postcode ZE and not LK? Elsewhere, large areas are covered by 'town name postcodes'.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Shetland(s) is as shetland(s) does, the pronounciation and verbal etiquette being paramount however, poison popcorn has released an album and i'm sure all your shetland pronounciation needs will be answered if you go here http://poisonpopcorn.bandcamp.com/

...only 6 pounds or so i believe.

And I'm SICK TO DEATH OF SEEING YOU PLUG IT! Had a listen, and it is nothing special. Crumbs, no wonder you need to advertise it so much. :evil:

Aww... Diddums getting angry and posting in capitals as the forum means so much to him/her.

Actually, do you even need Shetland? Isn't it technically like a county? Royal Mail dropped them ages ago?

My experience with various online postal services is that Shetland is the only choice when asked to choose your "postal town".

Also, some variations of the postcode lookup seem to append Fetlar as the county for the whole of ZE2!

Well, Shetland(s) is as shetland(s) does, the pronounciation and verbal etiquette being paramount however, poison popcorn has released an album and i'm sure all your shetland pronounciation needs will be answered if you go here http://poisonpopcorn.bandcamp.com/

...only 6 pounds or so i believe.

And I'm SICK TO DEATH OF SEEING YOU PLUG IT! Had a listen, and it is nothing special. Crumbs, no wonder you need to advertise it so much. :evil:

Aww... Diddums getting angry and posting in capitals as the forum means so much to him/her.

And you are spamming the threads, Why don't you both give it a rest!

I

Many of my English friends say Shetlands, if I tell them they are wrong they do it all the more :( *sigh*..

Nice to see we're such a valued "part" of the "UK"......

Now, now, Kavi.

It cuts both ways.

How many Shetlanders could name the 'Home Counties' or point with any certainty to the Fens?

The ZE come from zetland. Which im sure it was before it became shetland

Yes I know that, but lots and lots of places use the biggest town the area, eg B for Birmingham.

So, I was just wondering why they didn't use LK1-3 instead of ZE1-3.

My experience with various online postal services is that Shetland is the only choice when asked to choose your "postal town".

Also, some variations of the postcode lookup seem to append Fetlar as the county for the whole of ZE2!

Interesting... I've had mail with Fetlar in the address :)