Clive's Record Shop

Guest metallica man

Kaiser chef -

If you have any photographic chemicals which require disposal, we have the appropriate setup in place to deal with these chemicals for you. Please feel free to drop along the store Monday-Friday and one of our full time members of staff will take care of this for you.

Eventide -

If you drop along the store and speak to one of our full time members of staff, we'll dispose of your chemistry free of charge.

We offer film processing in 30 minutes at no extra charge which appeals to the majority of our customers as they are excited to see their photos quickly. With the demise of film and boom in digital, our film processing is more of a service to the people of Shetland rather than a profit maker due to the high cost of chemicals/production. If you prefer to wait a longer period and take your business off Shetland, that is your choice.

Kind regards

The Camera Centre

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry eventide I stand corrected about the film processing,I thought you meant just digitally printing you're photos using the units in the shop. However, I still disagree wholehartedly about your comment about The Camera Centre and The Hydro 'selling products at vastly increased prices'. When was the last time you were in these shops as as it stand today they seem to be very competitive on prices nowadays!

Anyway this is getting of topic and will go around in circles! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the response - I will drop my chemicals off.

@Kaiser chef, we do indeed process our own film but we then scan the negatives into the computer, as such we would have no need for any other equipment.

But thanks for the offer!

I have had dealings with both shops in the past.

When we needed a new cooker for my Granny and Grandads house, they bent over backwards to help. For the price of the cooker with a 25% discount it was delivered, installed, tested and the packaging and old one removed.

It did help to work for a utility company, bt we were given an additional discount.

The camera shop has always been helpful, they cannot carry everything but from my own experience, will save you the bother of getting it yourself and do it for you. You will also get instruction on your new item and you can pop in at anytime to ask further questions.

With the demise of shops in the Street, locals and visitors alike should be encouraged to spend locally, keep the cash in Shetland and in the pockets of those employed by such places.

@Kaiser chef, we do indeed process our own film but we then scan the negatives into the computer, as such we would have no need for any other equipment.

So you are happy enough to use the free service that they provide but not willing to shop there. :roll:

If we all took your attitude then there would be no camera centre and nowhere for you to drop of your chemicals.

Blindly supporting local shops just because they are local doesnt help anyone except those with money to burn.

If you live locally then a healthy local trade helps you and all your neighbours.

So you are happy enough to use the free service that they provide but not willing to shop there. :roll:

If we all took your attitude then there would be no camera centre and nowhere for you to drop of your chemicals.

Blindly supporting local shops just because they are local doesnt help anyone except those with money to burn.

If you live locally then a healthy local trade helps you and all your neighbours.

:lik:

Sadly seems to be the case here!

What a shame that another Shetland independant shop is closing. It would be a travesty if Tesco moved into Clive's :(

I find the thought of a Tesco on Lerwick's main street so sad. One of the comments I've heard time and time again from folk sooth is that all their local high streets have lost their small independant shops and become clones of each other filled with Boots and the other "big" names. And a comment I've heard from a tourist visiting Shetland was how wonderful it was to see a peerie high street filled with traditional independant shops....

In relation to The Camera Centre I have always found them most helpful and I would say it's in better hands now. One member of staff seems not so "pleasant" and who seems to have a habit of saying they can't do this or can't do that basically because she hasn't got a clue....

"What a shame that another Shetland independant shop is closing. It would be a travesty if Tesco moved into Clive's "

I agree that Clives shutting is a loss, and points to an even more sterile street in the future.

but...

Anyone remember the little independent shop that use to be across the road from Clives? Name of Liptons, then Prestos before they moved out to Sound........ I Also remember the nashing of teath and renting of clothes when that closed.

Also when Hepworths & The Co-op left the street.

I think a mix is the right thing to have not just big is bad small is beautiful

Well, when all the local businesses have closed up through everyone being hell-bent on the 'cheap is good' mantra, when all the profits made by the large UKplc companies are being enjoyed by those outwith Shetland and you are surrounded by bland stamped-out 'retail outlets' on industrial estates it will be too late. You've lost.

Go to any town in the UK and you'll see the results of this short-sightedness. Wick is a good example that's reasonably close......

I'm not saying that there is no place for the large UK retailers, but we need a balance. There will always be those who complain loudly if they think they are paying one pence more than someone else, but that's their choice. I'd sooner pay a local outfit a bit more, especially when it came to produce that is sourced in Shetland, eg: meat, fish, veg.