The SIC temporary homing for Teenagers

Mattie

The Council really has to address their homing of teenagers in temporary accommodation.

Why?

They are not old enough to behave!

My child returned on Sunday afternoon to her accommodation. Toilets smashed up. The place a state.

Partying all weekend.

Mr Plod. How many times were you called out?

Decent kids in temporary accommodation are getting a hard time because of these idiots!

One teenager that regularly visits our home. Has reported to the Council and the police on numerous occassions weekend parties, fighting and noise in his shared accommodation.

To no avail.

It is shocking!

I will be taking this forward with the Housing Department in the morning!

No doubt the relevant person will be on holiday or off for a few days!!

No one else can deal with it.. Typical of the SIC!

Yep> SIC always tell me that the person dealing is on annual leave or away from the office. If I do get someone the reply is often that it is within their guidelines. If they are the SIC guidelines then you know they are a pile of crock.

Personally I think that these youths who cause noise and damage as well as being a general pain in the rear should be kicked out and sent back to their parents/other relatives until they can show responsibility.

This is exactly why the SIC housing dept recently got a pat on the back from Edinburgh. And everybody knows it!.

It is a shocking state of affairs. If you don't work and have have no intention of working you get everything handed to you but if you're a decent, hard working individual and have savings of more than *£1* you get nothing.

Quick, build more social housing for the, erm, "homeless".....

Welcome to the SIC Housing Dept....

It's not just teenagers who do that kind of thing. There are plenty of older folk who wreck the homes they are given then get moved into nice new houses and the other one is all done up to by the council. If someone trashes the place and has no respect then why should they be housed at all? I know people who work hard and cant get housed so they have to pay a fortune for private rents which leaves them skint. Not a fair system at all :(

The Council really has to address their homing of teenagers in temporary accommodation.

Why?

They are not old enough to behave!

My child returned on Sunday afternoon to her accommodation. Toilets smashed up. The place a state.

Partying all weekend.

Mr Plod. How many times were you called out?

Decent kids in temporary accommodation are getting a hard time because of these idiots!

One teenager that regularly visits our home. Has reported to the Council and the police on numerous occassions weekend parties, fighting and noise in his shared accommodation.

To no avail.

It is shocking!

I will be taking this forward with the Housing Department in the morning!

No doubt the relevant person will be on holiday or off for a few days!!

No one else can deal with it.. Typical of the SIC!

Maybe your teenager should be safe at home with you.

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone on the housing/benefit list should have to pass a weekly drugs test to qualify for benefits/housing.

I wonder how that will be administered. Who will pay?

The trouble with that is many drugs can be out of the system after 3-4 days, will weekly tests be enough?

There are many folk on the benefit list, I would guess more elderly and carers than the few you want to target.

Would folk have to take time off work to complete this test and what sort of drugs are being tested. As we know, alcohol causes society more harm than any other drug.

A registered addict would already have to be tested to complete his/her program, are you saying that they then have to complete two tests?

Folk between 16 and 18 are really shafted by society already, they cannot claim enough benefits to escape the abuse they may get at home and have no escape but to become homeless. They are generally thought of as a pain.

If they fail your drugs test, put them on the street? How will that help?

Maybe put them in trucks and intern them in camps (thank the stars there are no railways in Shetland). You could experiment on them as well, find out how they work.

It will lead back to their parents and the chances they had, in many cases.

Perhaps force ALL parents to bring up their spawns in a disciplined way. Be at home for them when they come home from school and be fully active in their up bringing.

What you want protecting from perhaps is nature. Society protects us from nature, it was said on R4 the other day. The question also asked was not why do folk do these sorts of things but why they do not do more.

You know for a place that regularly elects the lib dems in massive majorities there are not half some right wing daily mail types on this forum, with the exception of the last poster.

All of this crap appearing here like put them on the streets!, drug test them! lock up the parents! shoot the junkies at dawn! its all the cooncils fault! its all the soothmoothers fault! blah blah blah, i would take a good guess that the people doing most of this whingin dont themselves have a member of there close family with a drug problem or they havent lost there job through no fault of there own and ended up on the dole or ended up homeless for any number or reasons otherewise wouldnt be coming away with all this rubbish

Its been proved most notably in the USA that the hard line approach not only doesnt work but actualy makes things worse.

Crime in the uk is at a 35 year low yet some people look back with fond memories to a time when children got the belt at school.

As for claiming bebefits i ohnestly dont see how its not complete double standards for someone in full time employment (which has nothing to do with agriculture) to have a few sheep and plant some taties and claim thousands in subsidies for a so called "croft" to complain about poeple on benifits. its all money raised in tax and it has to come from somewhere

Everyone on the housing/benefit list should have to pass a weekly drugs test to qualify for benefits/housing.

So hard working decent people who need social housing or financial help shall now assumed to be criminals and drug abusers until they prove otherwise?

Lovely.

honest and hard working people that I know who have found themselves in need of social housing were told they couldn't get it! They had to go private as they were working. One of them ended a tenancy when her flatmate moved out as she couldn't afford the rent on her own. She was told that she should just get housing benefit and if she never then she would be making herself "intentionally homeless". If she did apply then I don't know if she would have got it or not and if she did she would still have been paying out a good chunk of her wage and she wasn't on great wages. She was also told that if she were being evicted for either non payment of rent or being a nuisance neighbour then she would have been rehoused. The system is unfair.

honest and hard working people that I know who have found themselves in need of social housing were told they couldn't get it! They had to go private as they were working. One of them ended a tenancy when her flatmate moved out as she couldn't afford the rent on her own. She was told that she should just get housing benefit and if she never then she would be making herself "intentionally homeless". If she did apply then I don't know if she would have got it or not and if she did she would still have been paying out a good chunk of her wage and she wasn't on great wages. She was also told that if she were being evicted for either non payment of rent or being a nuisance neighbour then she would have been rehoused. The system is unfair.

Are you sure? Sounds a bit odd to me.

AFAIK (and speaking generally) employment (or lack of it) wouldn't make any difference in a case where someone was already in Shetland. It's whether the applicant has need of housing or not that counts. If someone is in private rent - then they are not deemed to be a priority...no different to any other Housing Association I've come across.

That was certainly the situation with SIC and Hjaltland when I spoke to them a few months ago.

It is quite impossible to get a place of your own in Lerwick unless its a turd area where alot of turd happens, if i didnt have my business then i would move south as life is so much cheaper and easier down there. even houses are cheaper south.

So what's a 'turd' area in Lerwick?