Isles cars

daveh

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being required to have your vehicle roadworthy all year round does indeed apply to those without the need for an MOT certificate but it's very, very hard to enforce at the road side. How are the police to assess power of the brakes on a vehicle for example?

Consider this as well - how many of us have taken a car for an MOT only to be told that it needs a suspension joint or a bush or some new brake pipes within the next year? The MOT serves the vehicle owner as well as easing safety enforcement.

The transport links are subsidised to such a level that the old arguement that it's too far/expensive/time-consuming to get a driving license or MOT simply doesn't apply now. The logical exceptions are Fair Isle, Foula and Vaila (i'd imagine the sovergien state of Forvik will have it's own MOT station by now though).

A sensible change to the law would be to make it illegal to sell a car without a new MOT on it.

As I said it is the owners’ responsibility – there is nothing preventing owners from taking their cars to garages to have roadworthiness checks done as many times a year as they feel necessary to stay within the law - nothing to do with whether or not a garage is MOT rated or the Police’s ability or lack of it to provide roadside checks.

you only need to look at how many taxis fail tests during spot checks.

Really? – as well as the MOT taxis are given a more rigorous test twice a year by the Council’s own testing station.

Er YES.

I doubt the council has its own station but uses existing stations that it sanctions for doing such tests. If the tests were good enough, why are councils adopting a more stringent test.

The council will also have a policy of licensing vehicles over a certain age, although not mandatory as good judgement will have to prevail as to use of the vehicle.

You can find reports of taxis all over the country failing spot checks.

The taxi example was to show even with six month checks, things still go wrong and are not repaired. In light of this, should the MOT period be extended to two years, especially on vehicles that are not subjected to additional checks.

TBH there is no reason for Isle's cars in this day and age, they originally came about because there were no ro-ro ferries to allow them to get to an mot station, now that there are ro-ro ferries to most islands the laws governing isles cars could be changed.

Isle cars should not (by law) be driven on mainland roads with the exception of attending a mot station to gain an MOT.

you only need to look at how many taxis fail tests during spot checks.

Really? – as well as the MOT taxis are given a more rigorous test twice a year by the Council’s own testing station.

Er YES.

I doubt the council has its own station but uses existing stations that it sanctions for doing such tests. .

The SIC does in fact have its own testing station at Gremista and I've never heard of a taxi spot check in Shetland far less anybody failing one.

^^

Ah yes the bus garage, the council does operate a garage for the servicing and repair of buses. It is also a test station. Is it just for Council vehicles?

Because you have never heard that any Taxis have been spot checked for safety and have even failed if there were raises other issues, though the initial comment was to the fact that even with 6 monthly checks, folk will let things go until that test, regardless of where they are. If you insisted that cars are MOT tested every 6 months, you will still find some that are not fit for the road yet have a current certificate, this situation will only last until the next test, where the work will be done prior to the test or the vehicle fails.

Is this the 6 monthly test?

• All Taxis must have a walk-round inspection, carried out by Council Garage (or any garage permitted by the Licensing Authority) at periods not exceeding 6-months. The 6-monthly inspection does not incur any charge.

The council---

Spot Check Inspections

• The Council retains the right to undertake random spot checks of vehicles. However, this shall be done with sensitivity to the commercial requirements of operating a taxi.

• The Council may undertake spot checks on individual vehicles where there is cause to do so.

Just for comparison, this is how testing is done where I live

http://egenda.southribble.gov.uk/akssribble/images/att3172.doc

and guidance

http://egenda.southribble.gov.uk/akssribble/images/att3173.doc

The council here is also known for its spot checks, at any time, regardless of commercial sensitivity. The council, through the Licensing Committee and Licensing officers have a duty to protect those who use taxis, as we know, they can be used by the most vulnerable of society.

This is not an attack on Taxi companies themselves, as most, will comply.

Why are you people so jealous? Just because you have to MOT your vehicle you want to make it compulsory for everyone. If MOT's are to become compulsory on each island then testing stations should become compulsory there too. You would very soon rebel if every vehicle in Shetland had to visit a testing station in Unst.

I would use a similar argument re. unaccompanied L-drivers. Why should a person who lives on an island where 90% of the road miles are single track with passing places,no pedestrian or level crossings,no traffic lights,no dual carriageways have to go down to the mainland to be formally taught about these things and be tested in a totally unfamiliar road system?

How many of you,having grown up and passed your test in Shetland,been absolutely terrified when going to drive in Scotland?

In more than 40 years driving in Unst I have never heard of an unaccompanied driver have a serious accident,except through drink,whilst I saw a most experienced,profesional driver knock a young man from his motorcycle up here.

Live and let live.

daveh, you will be familiar with the expression, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' it has been like this for ages and as far as I am aware hasn't caused too many problems or concerns. Sudden stop, hope that is not a reference to your driving style :wink: unless one lives on the isles then it is unlikely to affect you, if the folk on the isles are okay with it.... there are far worse things to cause offence or concern.

I wasn't complaining about it, merely trying to understand the rules.

I certainly don't see how someone, buying an "isles car" in, say Lerwick, wouldn't be breaking the law if intending to drive it, via ferries, to Unst, Fetlar etc. If they were to transport the non-MOT'd vehicle on a trailer, I can see that as a solution but hiring such a trailer would probably cost more than the car is sold for so I would guess that the car is driven to its destination on public roads which must be illegal.

daveh, you will be familiar with the expression, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' it has been like this for ages and as far as I am aware hasn't caused too many problems or concerns. Sudden stop, hope that is not a reference to your driving style :wink: unless one lives on the isles then it is unlikely to affect you, if the folk on the isles are okay with it.... there are far worse things to cause offence or concern.

I certainly don't see how someone, buying an "isles car" in, say Lerwick, wouldn't be breaking the law if intending to drive it, via ferries, to Unst, Fetlar etc. If they were to transport the non-MOT'd vehicle on a trailer, I can see that as a solution but hiring such a trailer would probably cost more than the car is sold for so I would guess that the car is driven to its destination on public roads which must be illegal.

Awful big assumption there. I have just given someone a car with no road tax or MOT. The chap came and picked it up using a trailer that he borrowed.

Tow it.