Sarah's Law

Kisses4Me

Should we have a Shetland version of Sarah's Law?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a Shetland version of Sarah's Law?

• Yes
    • No

FYI Witchcraft comes under the banner of Paganism which is a gentle Earth-based religion which follows the principle of "harm none".

I think you might be alluding to some paedophiles who join up with other like-minded depraved individuals who believe they practice some sort of Satanic black magic? Nothing to do with Paganism whatsoever.

FYI google

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with most of what you said there gohstrider. There are those who have reformed and have been rehabilitated and well done to them. they have seen the error of thier ways and have changed and yes there are those who slip through the net and never get caught.

As a parent i am very wary of those i let near my children but i also dont like havin to judge people and think that any one person could be "that way inclinded". I have met people that i simply did not think could have been that way and turned out to be just that. people who have/had quite respectable jobs. but then there are those who live on our doorstep who have bragged almost about thier dealings and have never even been questioned about thier activities. some of these people go under the cloak of religion, paganism and some even witchcraft.

When I lived in London a paedophile lived in our street. According to the Police, over 200 known sex offenders lived within a two mile radius of the local police station. The News of the World ran a centre fold spread on the guy. We all knew who he was. A few months later, he was shot dead, between the eyes, on his doorstep. Crumbs, I was severely told off by the Flying Squad (or yes, the big guns were brought in) for having the audacity to escape the Sun/Daily Mirror journalists and the Japanese film crews that shoved their microphones/cameras in ya faces as soon as you stepped out the door - the Flying Squad apparently didn't appreciate the fact I disappeared for a week to the other side of London ... well, I personally thought it was better to disappear than lose it at 7.30am by strangling said film crews/reporters but apparently not ...

... Every person in the street got asked if we knew him and how. The most common answer was yep, cos the News of the World told us. My best mate lived in the same block and was traumatised by seeing him stagger down the stairs, dying (oh yeah, and it took the Council 4 months to remove the blood from the stairwell).

Yeah great, Sarah's law would, IMHO, lead to more vigilante killings. Is that the right way to go about it? Chemically castrate the barstewards instead ... but don't statistics indicate that the majority of sex offenders NEVER accept that they've done wrong and are beyond the realms of the criminal justice system in that the punishment and rehabilitation fails?

Incidentally, why on earth place more emphasis on witchcraft? Wicca is deffo NOT black magic - perhaps you just meant religious beliefs?

:arrow: :arrow: rides off on her Miele vacuum cleaner (broomsticks are so out of date, you know) :wink:

*steps forward* for a moment.

You are referring to Megans Law in the US, there is a Sarahs Law but from what I can find it is limited to one state.

A Sarahs Law exists within the UK, as I have said, just to be clear, the existing UK Sarahs Law is not about the general broadcast of the last known locations of sex offenders. Those who ask for information are under obligation not to divulge the findings. Not everyone who makes a complaint will get to know. If a neighbour complains that another neighbour is too friendly with children, the police will act but only tell the parents or guardians of the children, and not the complaining neighbour.

The pilots worked well with some good results.

Here is another couple of sources :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11427787

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10826350

The US Sarah's Law is the Californian Proposition 4 (2008)

Abortion Waiting Period and Parental Notification Initiative

Which has very little to do what you think you are making a comparison to.

*steps back again*

Excuse me for being a bit simple but Sarah's law exists in Scotland, is used here in Shetland, so where's the question? It does very little to prevent harm in a community ike nuts ours, where men are only prosecuted after they're victims turn 16 and if the victim is still willing. and that's just the ones who are reported. Far too many know what happens up here, it gets kept silent. Still remember being told by one guy someone couldn't be a paedophile because he had a new wife and a kid on the way. All any parent can do is keep vigilant, equip your child with the knowledge that there are some nasty folk out there, supervise online time and tbh pray.

You know i remeber it must have been about 10 years ago when the sun done there 3 week rampage on printing the names adresses and photographs of every convicted sex offender in the uk, campaigning for sarahs law blah blah of coarse as we all know the sun talk p1sh half the time and some of the names and adresses were compleetly wrong and normal families were living in houses, AND

every night for about 2 weeks the ITN news had storys of mobs particularly in pauls grove estate in portsmouth, people going round harrasing people vandalising property and a particular memory of a fat women going round in her dressing gown and slippers swearing all night long all that for an adress in a tabloid that turned out to be wrong and the police were nowhere to be seen!

Now i dont imagin anything like that would happen in shetland but in shetland news travels fast and roumers spread very easily so would it not be better if people KNEW from OFFICIAL SOURCES who was and wasnt rather than ASSUMED from roumer and hearsay?

Like i say there probably wouldnt be house burnings but there could be a cold shoulder in the comunity, refused service in shops pubs etc no comunity involvement at all- fair enough if youre convicted of an offense but a bit harsh if its all from a sweety wifes roumer

You know i remeber it must have been about 10 years ago when the sun done there 3 week rampage on printing the names adresses and photographs of every convicted sex offender in the uk, campaigning for sarahs law blah blah of coarse as we all know the sun talk p1sh half the time and some of the names and adresses were compleetly wrong and normal families were living in houses, AND

every night for about 2 weeks the ITN news had storys of mobs particularly in pauls grove estate in portsmouth, people going round harrasing people vandalising property and a particular memory of a fat women going round in her dressing gown and slippers swearing all night long all that for an adress in a tabloid that turned out to be wrong and the police were nowhere to be seen!

Now i dont imagin anything like that would happen in shetland but in shetland news travels fast and roumers spread very easily so would it not be better if people KNEW from OFFICIAL SOURCES who was and wasnt rather than ASSUMED from roumer and hearsay?

Like i say there probably wouldnt be house burnings but there could be a cold shoulder in the comunity, refused service in shops pubs etc no comunity involvement at all- fair enough if youre convicted of an offense but a bit harsh if its all from a sweety wifes roumer

Give a monkey a stick and watch it smack the other monkeys at random and for no good reason. I don't see why any community would be any different if it was armed with righteousness, ignorance and sensitive information.

As stated earlier, not everyone on the sex offenders list is necessarily a danger to children. Leave the law to the police and courts - not the populace. Push for longer incarceration and a more punitive system - not mob law.

I wondered if anybody would mention or pick up in this and left posting it until today to see if anybody diid.

We need to remember that paedophilia is committed by both females and males....

Remember the nursery case from England earlier this year?. That was an example which blew any myth out of the water that a woman would never commit or be involved in it.

I would also suggest that there is still an unjustified stigma against men who are single or live alone or even with their parents.(apparently statistics show that more young men and women than ever are still living with their parents because they just cannot afford to move out because of the cost of housing etc).

If the authorities are doing their job right then all registered offenders will be under the necessary surveilance and at least that's something.

What we probably can't do is see the degenerates who are as yet uncaught, undetected or about to start......

At the same time the last thing we need is a lynch mob because perish the thought that a quiet single man who likes to visit the library and attend classical music concerts lived in the same street....

I wondered if anybody would mention or pick up in this and left posting it until today to see if anybody diid.

We need to remember that paedophilia is committed by both females and males....

Remember the nursery case from England earlier this year?. That was an example which blew any myth out of the water that a woman would never commit or be involved in it.

I would also suggest that there is still an unjustified stigma against men who are single or live alone or even with their parents.(apparently statistics show that more young men and women than ever are still living with their parents because they just cannot afford to move out because of the cost of housing etc).

If the authorities are doing their job right then all registered offenders will be under the necessary surveilance and at least that's something.

What we probably can't do is see the degenerates who are as yet uncaught, undetected or about to start......

At the same time the last thing we need is a lynch mob because perish the thought that a quiet single man who likes to visit the library and attend classical music concerts lived in the same street....

Well put, Kavi.

A mob looking for a 'peedo' wouldn't bother with such niceties as correct identification when coming across a reclusive single male with a reputation for shunning adult female company......

Paedophilea is only one type of Child Abuse. Ther are many children and vulnerable adults who are suffering every minet of every day at the hands of depraved human beings who think they have a god given right to harm them and dont think they should be punished for it.

The law and the those put in place to protect these kids dont seem to be able to get to grips with the fact that they are the ones charged with the care and protection of all vulnerable people whether adults or children.

In my opinion the worst offenders are the ones who,turn a blind eye and dont go to the authorities and report their concerns.

If everyones opinion is "We know whats going on but just ignore it and it will go away" well shame on them.

You have to look into the eyes of someone who has suffered abuse to see the absolute emotional devastation it has caused.

I dont hold with vigilantes but do think it was time that the law held these people to account in the hashest of terms...

Where I lived we had a Yellow Tringle system...

People who were vetted by police and social services were on a list.These folk put a Yellow Triangle in their window and anyone who was suffering from abuse and needed a safe place could go to these houses showing the triangle. They knew that they were in a safe house and then the right help could be obtained through the police...All children in local schools were educated about this system.....

Thanks Scorrie :)

Yes, snow, sadly it's so true that so many children are suffering every minute of every day at the hands of a "parent" or somebody(even the cruelty of school).

I'm even finding this hard to post but how anybody could inflict pain, suffering and fear on, for example, a small 4 year old is simply beyond me.....

:(

Guest posiedon
Kavi Ugl

how anybody could inflict pain, suffering and fear on, for example, a small 4 year old is simply beyond me.....

Religionists do it all the time, it's their stock in trade.

Believe the nonsense I tell you or you'll burn in hell kind of thing.