Shetland Beaches

JAStewart

Unst has some excellent beaches Skaw, Norwick and Burrafirth are just some of them, in fact I recon Unst probably has the highest proportion of sandy beaches to land area in Shetland.

It's possible, but sooth idda Teavlix (Bigton junction) must be an equal contender. Levenwick, Grutness, West Voe, Hayes (what little is left of it), Quendale, Spiggie, Scousburgh, Rerwick, St Ninians Isle and Maywick. Plus some folk would argue the Pool of Virkie is a beach too, wi an ebb at laest :? , and Moosie Geo is technically a seperate beach in it's own right, even if it is adjacent to Spiggie.

Maywick beach is crap so don't bother coming.

Unless you're having a barbie with lots of beer and want to invite the locals. :P

....and this of course would be a wholly impartial assessement wouldn't it?!?! :wink:

Well.....we don't want any old riff-raff lowering the tone... :wink:

BTW, it's a fantastic beach - I'm there nearly every night with my (almost) 2 year old.

Maywick beach is crap so don't bother coming.

Unless you're having a barbie with lots of beer and want to invite the locals. :P

See this is an urban myth i've heard for as long as i can remember, that the Maywick beach is fantastic but the locals dunna want you coming around. And for the very many times i've been into maywick or Yaafield i have never set foot on the beach. Added to by the mystery "beach" sign that guides you into een o the auld sheds, rather than encourage you to cross the obvious fence to the sands, and the no parking on turning place sign that basically suggests that you park several hundred yards up the road a the last passing place.......

..... you can tell i've obviously thought far too much about this over many years :oops:

However, i'm not mentioning my favourite beaches for the same selfish reasons, apart fae the sooth end ones that are all mentioned here, and the hillswick one. One i will let slip is the Bruna Ness beach on Trondra, cos it's only really accessible by boat, which tends to deter the throng :P

See this is an urban myth i've heard for as long as i can remember, that the Maywick beach is fantastic but the locals dunna want you coming around. And for the very many times i've been into maywick or Yaafield i have never set foot on the beach. Added to by the mystery "beach" sign that guides you into een o the auld sheds, rather than encourage you to cross the obvious fence to the sands, and the no parking on turning place sign that basically suggests that you park several hundred yards up the road a the last passing place.......

Holy parp!!! Really???

I'd never heard that, but then that's maybe cause I live there. And I dunna tink I'm the local who tries to deter visitors - if such a mythological being exists!!

Actually the mystery beach sign directs you to the beach - unless you mean the one I painted on the wall o me shed which I assumed was clarity on a none-too-subtle scale - without needing to go over any fences.

Though you're welcome to traipse through my garden if you have bairns wi bare feet who'd find the road a bit gravelly.

As for da Coonty's "No parking in the turning point" sign - we canna do much aboot him. Until da next Guy Fawkes night!!

Na, I tink hit's yunder so da essy kert an da gritter can turn aroond.

An since da essy kert comes at 8 o'clock on Tuesday moarnin chances o hinderin him wid be braaly slim. An, despite da wadder, dir no been muckle call fur da gritter yet dis summer.

So, in summary, come alang an hae a spree!!

That's made my day Marrooned, thanks very much. No more maywick beach avoidance.

Cheers :D

[edit] whether it's dee or no, wan o you doon yunder deserves an award for the garden climbling frame thingy, i look at it with pure admiration whenever i'm roond and aboot. Lucky bairns![/edit]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
The Tresta beach in Fetlar is beautiful and great for swimming and theres a great loch for fishing literally a stones throw from it.

was there not a killer whale about there in the last week or so. maybe give winter swimming in your wet suit a miss. the beach at redarye had snow down to the tide line.