54 members have voted

1. 1. Smacking children made legal

• Yes
    • no

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as a parent - your skills are working well.

Just a small reminder as how shocked I am already that 69% agree to a smack/slap.......

If working with vulnerable people as a job - ie: education and social services - bear in mind any implications caused through a parents methods, could cause jeopardy to your job, therefore unable to keep a roof over your little ones head, as if posing any threats to vulnerable individuals you will end up investigated either through the police or child protection/social work as well as your own workplace once reported if anyone witnesses it, schools/nurserys notice it, or your child withdraws into themselves through fear and signs are displayed.

As a child I had all kinds - slippers, smacks, even a lead from a kettle - it never taught me - it induced anger within me instead, that was unable to be used appropriately. Again - an example - a close friend - hit as a child - no learning, just hated his parents, and continued to offend through life ( nearly as payback to parents, but couldn't express, hence taking it out on others ) - the lists have endless consequences for ALL concerned.

Nothing wrong with physical chastisement, as long as its delivered in a calm and proportionate manner. I grew up in a "no physical chastisement" household, and it made me the ass I am today.

A point to consider, the methods of non-physical chastisement favoured and employed by "those who think they have the right to dictate to the masses" are as likely, and do cause emotional damage, pain and suffering that is as severe, and is much, much longer lasting than any physical "harm" could ever be, and succeeds in its aim no more successfully.

Nothing wrong with physical chastisement, as long as its delivered in a calm and proportionate manner.

Does this apply to spouses, parents, and colleagues, or just children?

A little off topic aren't we. But seeing as you ask, that would be wholly a judgement call dependent on the person and circumstances at hand.

A little off topic aren't we.

Not at all. The point I'm making is: why should it be legal to hit a child when hitting an adult in the same situation would be illegal?

But seeing as you ask, that would be wholly a judgement call dependent on the person and circumstances at hand.

I'm glad you're not my boss.

a judgement call dependent on the person and circumstances at hand.

Would that be like breaking the speed limit down a quiet road and not knowing what is around the corner.

So, if you think it is ok to physically harm someone, it is ok?

To be honest there, you may be a tad wrong. Unless of course the child, adult was coming at you specifically to do harm.

Looking back, when I was punished with pain, I found as many ways as I could to avoid it, thus, as a child perhaps becoming more devious or ruthless.

I wonder if the judge should also be the executioner, but it seems execute first and then try to justify.

Too many risks, best not to beat anyone, unles they mean you physical harm. Though there may be other instances where it could be justified.

^ I never stated I was in favour of physically harming anyone, "physical chastisement" need not involve the causing of actual harm. If the Police using handcuffs, pepper spray, batons etc, all of which are considered "acceptable", isn't "physical chastisement" I really cannot imagine what is.

Fact, some kids, especially teens won't be reasoned with, won't be told, won't be bribed, won't be blackmailed, don't give a damn about loss of certain privileges, and don't give a damn about being grounded. Its part of the process of growing up, its testing who is top dog in the family unit, we all go through life stepping in to dead (wo)men's shoes and/or giving the old top dog a good nudge off their perch and taking their place, that is how the world works. Any kid is at it, regardless how young, and when they spar with their elders on mentally equal or superior levels, and/or have an equal or superior pig-headed stubborness, what is left to achive order but physical force?

Straight and pointed question at those in the "no physical" camp. Why is causing mental pain as a form of chastisement okay, put causing physical pain not okay?

because you will

be arrested cuffed, finger printed/dnaed

locked up until the sheriff will see you

get a criminal conviction

never to be allowed to work with vunerale people as you will have a conviction of assualt against a juvinile

you will have to see social workers and be refered to the childrens pannel. and getting your name in the paper.

really not worth it no matter how mouthy the said teenager is. believe me it really is not.

sadly the mouthy teenagers know the law and if p---d off with you they will land you in it.

because you will

be arrested cuffed, finger printed/dnaed

locked up until the sheriff will see you

get a criminal conviction

So, its "acceptable" that an adult is physically chastised by other adults for physically chastising their own child.... There's something very, very wrong with a so-called civilised society that considers that scenario "sensible".

An adult by definition is of a maturity and experience that by default they are capable of being reasoned with and fully understand the extent of their actions, a child, by definition is not. Yet we must physically chastise the former, but can only wrap the latter in cotton wool, regardless how much of a little toerag they have become. No wonder so-called civilised society is going down the tubes faster than a rabid rat down a drainpipe, the lunatics have taken over the asylum and are allowing the kids to run the show. :roll:

Yes, kids need and must be protected from being taken advantage of and abused, but when laws are flying around that makes it impossible for their guardian(s) to adequately control them and make them learn, one way or another, that actions, specifically their own, can and often do have extremely unpleasant consequences for them, that an impossible situation that's heading one place only, anarchy!

It beggars belief though that so called "experts" have convinced themselves that playing mind games and head f***s with kids is somehow more "humane" than giving them a smack upside the head, and warning then to quit whatever they're up to, or they'll get another, harder one. It works with mumerous other species, and has worked well since homo sapiens figured how to walk instead of swing through the jungle, what's up with it now?

Fact, some kids, especially teens won't be reasoned with, won't be told, won't be bribed, won't be blackmailed, don't give a damn about loss of certain privileges, and don't give a damn about being grounded. Its part of the process of growing up, its testing who is top dog in the family unit, we all go through life stepping in to dead (wo)men's shoes and/or giving the old top dog a good nudge off their perch and taking their place, that is how the world works. Any kid is at it, regardless how young, and when they spar with their elders on mentally equal or superior levels, and/or have an equal or superior pig-headed stubborness, what is left to achive order but physical force?

Hooray.. Someone finally understands why applying some level of control via a quick slap is essential. It teaches the kids that there ARE limits and that THEY must obey them anf that the situation will remain unchanged until they can be considered adults.

How many times have readers looked at young kids and thought to themselves 'if they were mine I'd.....'

Parents not being able to diciplne their kids has only lead to increasingly unruly behaviour that impinges on the nerves/wellbeing of everyone who has to witness it and, as far as I'm concerned, the PC brigade need to spend less time telling everyone else how to live.

Pretty much all punishments given to children when applied to adults could be considered illegal. Grounding could be considered false imprisonment. Removal of favourite toys - theft. The list goes on.

Well, there's always withdrawal of treats, eg no pudding, or no trip to the swimming pool.

But, more importantly, there aren't specific exemptions in either the theft or false imprisonment laws dealing with the disciplining of children, in contrast with the assault laws where a parent can smack a child as long as they don't leave a mark. (In Scotland, a parent is not allowed to use an implement to strike a child.)

Imagine the outcry if it became legal to hit your wife, or your employee, as long as you didn't use an implement or leave a mark.