Wife in white

banzai

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you actually hitch hiking or is that a "support vehicle" never too far behind? Just curious,

Apparently she has a campervan, according to her Facebook page.

"Over the course of seven months from October 2012, all 23,000 inhabitants of Shetland are invited to explore our bitters

weet relationship with the automobile - how it shapes us, defines us, supports us, frees us, challenges our attitudes towards our dwindling resources and, sometimes, kills us.

The project promises to excavate personal ‘car stories’ through a programme of unique, car-related, but unmistakably Shetland-flavoured engagement activities, climaxing in a series of large scale performances at a variety of locations across the islands.

The team will begin engaging with the people of Shetland from October 2012 with ten performances in Shetland in March 2013."

I think it's stupid. It's bloody freezing cold. How much tax payer's money is going on supporting this 'arty' project? Personally, I don't need someone from National Theatre of Scotland bringing to my attention how my relationship with vehicles affects me, how I've had a relative killed by a drunk driver, declining oil reserves, etc. The money could have been better spent on a free pantomine for children.

Perhaps that could be used. Art is about educating folk, highlighting things around us. It can help bring folk together and be social. It is a worthy project, I too have known folk who have died due to motor vehicle incidents. I would guess many have. There have been about 19 fatalities on Shetland roads over the last decade or so. It would be good to hear some of the many good stories.

Freezing, already, with all that wind?

^ To be frank, SP, if the Scottish Government have got dosh spare to spend on the Arts and projects like this one, I'd far rather it was spent on improving road safety, road maintenance and the like instead of having our current roads maintenance budget squeezed! :evil:

C'mon, you know the score, different budgets. Arts can do far more good than folk think. Arts can remove isolations, join communities, save lives, saves the good qualities of life, inspire, motivate and invoke a sense of well being. It has enough pegs in the cloakroom, enough soundproofing, enough parking spaces, good access roads and a pleasing look. As for the roads, Shetland has some good roads, winter preparations and maintenance are to a high degree. It is the drivers that are the problems in some cases, those who just have to drive in dangerous conditions.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m093ol3ogE1qmrm8oo1_500.jpg

I think it's stupid. It's bloody freezing cold. How much tax payer's money is going on supporting this 'arty' project? Personally, I don't need someone from National Theatre of Scotland bringing to my attention how my relationship with vehicles affects me, how I've had a relative killed by a drunk driver, declining oil reserves, etc. The money could have been better spent on a free pantomine for children.

Is there nothing you won't moan about? You're like a black hole, sucking all the joy out of life.

Of course we don't "need" the arts in all it's varied forms, but life would be considerably more dull without it. Similarly, we don't need to hear your opinion on everything to know that you've got one and it's almost certainly in the negative. We don't "need" an arts project to tell us that Shetland has a very high death toll on the roads, given the size of our population either, but it's good to be reminded of it, especially if it saves just one life.

This project actually came about because of the death of a young man who died needlessly in a car accident. It's taking the time to remind us that whilst cars are liberating - especially for people in Shetland where public transport isn't particularly convenient - they are also dangerous. That seems quite worthwhile to me. Given your circumstances, even you - bitter & twisted as you often appear to be - can surely recognise that? I've had relatives killed because of car accidents too, as well as friends - including the young boy who's death inspired this idea and personally, I welcome the notion that everyone could do with being reminded to drive a little more carefully, etc.

Or perhaps you'd like to inform his parents that the project brought about by their son's death is a stupid idea? Or his fiance's? Or the son he never got to see? I'm sure your opinions would be of great comfort to them.

The other commendable thing about this project, is that it's attracted funding from the National Theatre of Scotland, who don't just hand out significant amounts of money left right and centre. Yet here we are, with investment from them. That's the 2nd project they've invested in in Shetland, so SADA must surely be doing something right? One wonders if they could incorporate some rewrites about the dangers of opening your big gob without thinking or having anything useful to say. That'd be an equally worthy reminder to some of those quick to complain and express their "opinion" in the form of "debate" or whatever crap they'll choose to dress their whinging as.

Is there nothing you won't moan about? You're like a black hole, sucking all the joy out of life.

Similarly, we don't need to hear your opinion on everything to know that you've got one and it's almost certainly in the negative.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lik:

As Fatal Paper Cut said above, if you don't like something then leave others to enjoy it.

There are many programmes going out on BBC, partly paid with using our TV licence contributions, that I don't like but I watch or do other things.

A simple concept but an easily understood one, surely.

Unlinked Student should, perhaps, show an at least occasional positive attitude and leave others to derive enjoyment from things that she can't.

Ah yes, silence the woman syndrome time, is it? Others have also displayed their less favourable opinions on this matter too but do they get it in the neck? No.

It may have escaped your notice but I have posted positive stuff, namely excellent service thread and steady on, I even praised the Blues Festival!

Least I don't just come on here and troll like at least one of the above peeps.

:evil:

Edit: I'm not going to be hypocritical just to please you lot. I'm well aware of how the project came about and I'm not the only person to comment on it being a daft idea.

Silence the woman? Oh please. You're hardly a victim Suzi, much as you like to make out people gang up on you. Don't be so pathetic.

Go {'f' it was funny in Father Ted 'eck'} a marble. How about you stop being pathetic or alternatively, any time any other Shetlinker posts something you dislike, you do so with the same amount of zealous you appear to dedicate to slagging off anything I type?

^^

Nothing to do with silencing the woman, whatsoever.

I wouldn't dare trying to silence my one, for instance.

However, if something arty-farty is giving pleasure to others, to describe the concept as being stupid is somewhat over-critical in my opinion. For the record, I don't think much of this White Wife project either but others are enjoying it so good luck to them. It isn't doing me any harm.

I picked her up yesterday and have to say she was a nice,pleasant, intelligent woman. I even told her that there was a thread about her on here , and she said she would check it out and she surely did last night . she was saying to me how friendly she has found the residents of shetland to be , though what she's thinking now having read this i dont know. this may be a waste of money in some peoples opinions, but lets face it, the government and the councils waste money on a lot of things . so if the white wife thing is a waste of money, then i for one am happy to see money being wasted on something as quirky and fun as this. At the end of the day though... is it really worth all the insults and mud slinging? if shes read some of these latest posts, then she's probably trying to hitch a lift off a passing dolphin back to the mainland as we speak!!