Serco Ferry

Frances144

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if a single prospective passenger is left on the quay because Serco have cut staffing levels on the ferries then, assuming the other companies tendering for the contract based their figures on being able to carry the full complement of passengers on any sailing, there must be grounds for the Scottish Government to closely examine the contract to see if Serco have broken any rules.

Now I am no great fan of the RMT and I do not disagree too much with Tavish Scott's comment about Bob Crow's ego but is it not time for the Scottish Government to question if Serco are a suitable company to run a lifeline service having had two strike ballots and now an actual strike when the ink has hardly had time to dry on the contract.

Passengers have already been left on the quayside. Albeit this was down to the "exciting refurb" being carried out at the time,but with the minimum manning level being reduced this is just the tip of the iceberg. Stuart Garrett seems to think that that crew will sit at home on no wages on the off chance that they will get a phone call to go aboard when the passenger figures go over 300.I dont know what planet he is from but this will not work on mine!! What is he going to do ?open a box ?

As ruidh has already stated, the pay rise was negotiated nearly 18 months ago with the then employer, Northlink. Not that this has anything to do with anyone on here but the agreement was 1.5% pay rise last year, 4.25% this year and the same again next year. This was NEGOTIATED and agreed with both employers and scottish government, and was part of the agreement that whoever took over the contract would honour this deal. The pay rise kicked in on Oct 1st, so any statements from Serco regarding a pay rise is purely inflammatory and just to muddy the waters and divert attention away from the real issues. As has been mentioned before, this is STILL below the rate of inflation.

Do people begrudge working men and women a pay rise ???

I think if a single prospective passenger is left on the quay because Serco have cut staffing levels on the ferries then, assuming the other companies tendering for the contract based their figures on being able to carry the full complement of passengers on any sailing, there must be grounds for the Scottish Government to closely examine the contract to see if Serco have broken any rules.

Now I am no great fan of the RMT and I do not disagree too much with Tavish Scott's comment about Bob Crow's ego but is it not time for the Scottish Government to question if Serco are a suitable company to run a lifeline service having had two strike ballots and now an actual strike when the ink has hardly had time to dry on the contract.

Passengers have already been left on the quayside. Albeit this was down to the "exciting refurb" being carried out at the time,but with the minimum manning level being reduced this is just the tip of the iceberg. Stuart Garrett seems to think that that crew will sit at home on no wages on the off chance that they will get a phone call to go aboard when the passenger figures go over 300.I dont know what planet he is from but this will not work on mine!! What is he going to do ?open a box ?

As ruidh has already stated, the pay rise was negotiated nearly 18 months ago with the then employer, Northlink. Not that this has anything to do with anyone on here but the agreement was 1.5% pay rise last year, 4.25% this year and the same again next year. This was NEGOTIATED and agreed with both employers and scottish government, and was part of the agreement that whoever took over the contract would honour this deal. The pay rise kicked in on Oct 1st, so any statements from Serco regarding a pay rise is purely inflammatory and just to muddy the waters and divert attention away from the real issues. As has been mentioned before, this is STILL below the rate of inflation.

On yourself Chook......by the way the strikes been suspended,I'd like to think this is a positive move,but I'd be very wary of Mr G he's a sly character,nothing to say he doesn't keep them talking till after the festive period then bang he battens down the hatches again.But hey let's not be cynical maybe there is a Santa,only thing is I don't remember him being 4 foot with horns ,and a tail!!!!

I'm delighted that the strike has been suspended and service will resume meantime and hope that the remaining issues, what ever they are, are thrashed out round a table as they should have been in the first place by both sides.

@ chookyargyll..and ruidh....No one begrudges working men and women a pay rise, but although below inflation as you put it, this is one of the best I've seen. Many have had their pay frozen for a three year period.

What I've found difficult with your arguments on here is understanding the reasons for the strike, and petty name calling doesn't do much to endear folk to your cause especially when your actions affect the people who's support you should be looking for.

I understand that you do a difficult job, one which I would not wish to do, and I share your concern about how Serco will suddenly find crew when passenger numbers suddenly rise. Hopefully answers to these questions can be gained by talking round a table rather then further strike action.

I can assure you that I no more trust the actions of Serco then I do that of your union leaders, but if Serco can't crew the ships when necessary, I trust the Scottish Government will remove the contract from them.!

Meanwhile lets hope things reach a mutual agreement.

I'm delighted that the strike has been suspended and service will resume meantime and hope that the remaining issues, what ever they are, are thrashed out round a table as they should have been in the first place by both sides.

@ chookyargyll..and ruidh....No one begrudges working men and women a pay rise, but although below inflation as you put it, this is one of the best I've seen. Many have had their pay frozen for a three year period.

What I've found difficult with your arguments on here is understanding the reasons for the strike, and petty name calling doesn't do much to endear folk to your cause especially when your actions affect the people who's support you should be looking for.

I understand that you do a difficult job, one which I would not wish to do, and I share your concern about how Serco will suddenly find crew when passenger numbers suddenly rise. Hopefully answers to these questions can be gained by talking round a table rather then further strike action.

I can assure you that I no more trust the actions of Serco then I do that of your union leaders, but if Serco can't crew the ships when necessary, I trust the Scottish Government will remove the contract from them.!

Lets hope things do reach a mutual agreement,but didn't it take a strike to get Serco to the table?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All roads should Lead to Govan!!!!!!

Lets hope things do reach a mutual agreement,but didn't it take a strike to get Serco to the table?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All roads should Lead to Govan!!!!!!

or da wast side!

I'm sure it had influence, but not sure if other ways could not have been found, however as you say here's hoping for a mutual agreement and hopefully the Scottish Government will wake up and smell the coffee.

:wink:

If Serco fail to convey one single passenger because they have cut staff numbers and fail to find a replacement in time the Scottish Government should seriously consider stripping them of their contract for failure to stick to the specification. If the specification allowed Serco to cut staff numbers like this then the Government should consider resigning.

Meanwhile once the rail disputes are over, or even now if the marine section of the RMT can be seen to be in some way separate, then it is time for them to start finding friends in the Scottish Parliament. Not just thinking of the Labour party as I am sure many SNP MSPs are basically pro union.

And of course any staff made redundant or taking early retirement are not going to sit at home waiting until Serco calls. If they need a job they will find another one and if they do not then maybe they will get to like retirement.

Perhaps there is a sensible argument running the ships with less crew especially in things like catering during quiet periods but this can only really work with the agreement of the unions and maybe also the OK from the Scottish Government.

If Serco fail to convey one single passenger because they have cut staff numbers and fail to find a replacement in time the Scottish Government should seriously consider stripping them of their contract for failure to stick to the specification. If the specification allowed Serco to cut staff numbers like this then the Government should consider resigning.

From what I can ascertain, there was way too many staff - a tendency that often seems to occur when the public sector run services. These cuts bring down numbers to be inline with private vessels.

From what I can ascertain, there was way too many staff - a tendency that often seems to occur when the public sector run services. These cuts bring down numbers to be inline with private vessels.

Way I understand it is that Serco are cutting crew numbers to below what the official body that decides such things (the MCA?) insists our ferries have on board to carry the full complement of passengers.

Maybe if the boat wasna that expencive for cabins then more folk would have more shorter trips. i only go on the boat when i need to take my car. with that and cabins its a fortune to get to aberdeen, and beyond.

Make it cheaper then i would go more often, at the end of the day they would get more of my money in the long run.

More folk they get on the boat the better as most will have food or drink, but they need to be there to get their money in the first place.

mmm think what a public owned company are offering its staff is our concern. if the scottish goverment give even 1 pence in support then it becomes public business;

lets get this straight your getting 1.5 plus 4.5 plus 4.5 or 10.5 over 3 years. were every other public sector worker got 1% over the same 3 years.

ever thought that may be a reason that they need to cut staff you have priced the jobs out of existence.

yes if its out of step with reality.

mmm think what a public owned company are offering its staff is our concern. if the scottish goverment give even 1 pence in support then it becomes public business;

lets get this straight your getting 1.5 plus 4.5 plus 4.5 or 10.5 over 3 years. were every other public sector worker got 1% over the same 3 years.

ever thought that may be a reason that they need to cut staff you have priced the jobs out of existence.

yes if its out of step with reality.

Mmmmmm, the pay rise was agreed with the Scottish exec and Northlink. Most working men and woman would say good for you ,go for it,unlike some people who are just jealous .Why shouldn't we get some of what the Bankers and Executives in quangoes etc been getting for years.

Do people begrudge a decent wage for the men and women who work in these conditions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

All roads to Govan

Tooney I think that the problem is the boats capacity will depend on crew numbers and although the reduced numbers make sense during the winter months when passenger numbers are less, I believe they will have to be increased again during peak periods.

But what Serco will do when numbers suddenly increase due to planes not flying etc has not yet been answered by Serco to my knowledge.