Thunder and Lightning/Extreme Weather

Njugle

Wow, that was some morning. I can't recall a thunderstorm ever going on for 3 hours in Shetland ever, followed be a nearly two hour power-cut in Scalloway.

Being quite fond of a good storm i quite enjoyed it in relative safety. Anybody have any dramatic tales of the day that they would like to share?

I suppose i have one, the rain was so heavy that in our back-driveway the water was standing two inches deep as it couldn't get down the drain quick enough. That has never happened before!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I woke up with the thunder at about 8 this morning and in a sleep induced moment thought to myself "bloody RAF, it's too early for your flypasts"...Then I remember I wasn't under the Kinloss and Lossiemouth flightpaths at that moment in time.

We had a pretty serious hailshower out in Burra at one point aswell. It was crazy.

I was oblivious to it all. The GF has a new matress - and jolly comfortable it is too.

Of course I was sat in one of those cigar tubes that pass for planes up here on the runway in a pea-soup fog waiting to go to Inverness, so it might have been then that I missed it. :oops:

Our work van was nearly hit by lightening this morning

We'd stopped outside the Voe toilets at about 10.30am to decide whether it was worth working on, or whether we were rained off. I'd rolled down the window to have a proper look up at the sky when we heard a loud electrical 'fzzippckckck' sound, accompanied by a very bright forked flash from the power cables above the van, and a deafening thunder roar almost instantly

Near filled oor breeks!

As long as you keep your golf clubs in the hoose and your wellies on your usualy quite safe. :D :D :D

Yis! We figured that wandering around Mossbank with a couple of strimmers wasn't the best idea, even though we had wellies on, so we headed back to toon :wink:

Hell o a fine weather for girsecuttin this afternoon though

I woke up with the thunder at about 8 this morning and in a sleep induced moment thought to myself "bloody RAF, it's too early for your flypasts"...Then I remember I wasn't under the Kinloss and Lossiemouth flightpaths at that moment in time.

We had a pretty serious hailshower out in Burra at one point aswell. It was crazy.

Got wakened at pretty much the same time in the same state, although it was my neighbours I cursed the air navy blue over, speculating what in hell they were breaking up around the house this time, and at such an ungodly hour, especially as they'd only gone to bed at quarter past three in the morning!

As regards longevity, there was a thunderstorm that hung over the south end for 10-12 hours late August/early September, of '97, I think it was, but could have been '96 or '98. The worst of it was in the latter part of the night/very early morning, when most of the damage was done, but it continued with odd bits and pieces of thunder and lightning, which was still doing minor damage, till around two the following afternoon.

No dramatics hereabouts this time that I've heard of anyway, unless the power off for a while, not sure when it went, but it was just after two when we got it back.

Ah I remember the days when certain local computer retailers would knock thier modem prices uup by £5 - £10 any morning there was a thunder storm to cash in on all those poor sods whose modems had just been fried.

"Sir, a way to avoid this in the future would be to buy an surge protected extension cable with modem surge protection...these only cost £35".

Thank god I don't have that job anymore. I did get to play Half Life at work though.