What are you currently reading?

Just finished The Gate House by Nelson DeMille, the sequel to Gold Coast; both are thrillers set on Long Island and involving a rich family becoming involved with the Mafia. They are both fairly long books (Gold Coast 637 pages, The Gate House 674 pages) but are enjoyable and uncomplicated and so don't take long to read.

I'm a big fan of fantasy novels. My favorites are "Lord of the Rings" (of course!) and "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin. I also just started reading Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time". I'm really enjoying it so far.

To any Martin fans out there, have you heard when the next book's due for release? I haven't heard anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently finished the uncut version of The Stand by Stephen King. It was a very good story, but I didn't find it as gripping or scary as much of his other earlier work - maybe my brain was just numbed by the length of it, though!

I am just finishing Q & A by Vikas Swarup, which was the book Slumdog Millionaire was based on. I didn't see the film but I have been told it was very different from the book. It was quite a quick read, and I enjoyed the way it seemed almost like a separate short story for each of the questions.

We loved Q&A, hated Slumdog, not the same at all. Each question is a mini story, love they way they all fit together, slowly piecing together why he's sitting in that chair.

Just going through my second reading of the latest Kim Harrison - Black Magic Sanction. She's getting sloppy, her plots don't gel so well, but I'm still addicted and prefer Rachel Morgan to Sookie Stackhouse (Charlaine Harris).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris, the latest Sookie Stackhouse, was a little suprised when I opened the package to discover the cover had pictures of the TV serries charicters (they bear no resembalance to the book charicters). as a plot spoiler just to say Bill finially gets his happy ever after.

I too am juggling books:

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins (I'm really enjoying this)

Standing up to Supernanny - Jennie Bristow (a remedy for the patronising kak that was The 7 Day Parent Coach - Lorraine Thomas)

The Official DSA Theory Test (to go along with all those really expensive driving lessons I'm taking)

The BFG - Roald Dahl (ergh - still not a fan of Roald Dahl)

And the gianormous book Microbes by Hillary McQueen (Open Uni and the bulk of my reading)

Recently finished:

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (aaww - how nice :) )

The Color Purple - Alice Walker (what a strange, disturbing novel)

Although I'm an atheist, I didn't like Dawkins book. Read "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything". It's better.

I'm currently reading:

Rod Glenn - The Killing Moon

"Mad Max meets The Road in Northern England". It's pretty good.