Comics! anyone? Comics!

DeMascus

I love comics, no really, I do! I remember reading a book on the comic book industry by the writer Warren Ellis, he made me want to make comics. I have very few talents and drawing or writing aren't among them.

From the age of about 14 I used to pick up 2000AD from Conochie's and get the latest episodes of Slain, Hooligan's Haircut, ABC Warriors. Then there was fair gap when I seemed to have grown out of it, until someone gave me a few compendiums of The Invisibles, Transmetropolitan, Jenny One... Oh my, why did I stop?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also love comics, used to get them the whole time when I was younger, but grew out of them, but got back into them. I currently am subscribed to 2000AD and the Megazine, plus have around 70 graphic novels. They really are an under rated media with most folk dismissing them and not realiseing that many are for adults with adult themes.

Best ones I have read so far are Watchmen, V for Vendetta, A History of Violence and Wanted. But many other great ones. Just got Golham, which is a Slaine graphic novel even though I read it in 2000AD, the arts amazing.

Dont know if most folk know the films V for Vendetta, From Hell, A History of Violence and Sin City all started as Graphic Novels/Comics.

I have friends who are interested, or actualy work in comic book stores, so I tend to borrow, but I have been buying a series called DMZ; it's very good.

I never really lost interest in them, but I did stop buying basically becuase I moved around a lot so I couldn't really collect.

Slane did wow me in 2000AD. I haven't heard of A History of Violence or Wanted.

I always used to get the Beano and the Dandy(are those the right names? Somehow doesn't look right.) when I was a kid. I was a member of the Dennis the Menace fan club.

I always like reading the Freak Brothers and I love Fat Freddy's cat. He's so cool and fluffy tailed. :)

Someone has him as their avatar don't they. Can't remember who it is but nice one whoever you are. :wink:

Did publishing at university and always pushed comics/graphic novels as a legitimate artistic medium as much as I could. We've created some incredibly inventive minds such as Grant Morrison and Mark Millar in this country and these guys should be held up on a par with our celebrated authors. They introduce and explore social and behavioural issues as much as any contemporary author does. I'd be doing him a disservice if I didn't also mention the work of Cam Kennedy. I'm just waiting for the graphic novel of the island games fitba last year. Shetland, winning a trophy, drawn by Kevin Walker. Christ, it'd be Slaine in shorts.

I agree with you Jerry_Dammers, to many people turn their nose up at comics and think them somthing for children and of no merit in litrature. I am currently reading the invisables graphic novels and some of the ideas in that are so inventive and thought provokeing it really does have a lot of merit.

I was a member of The Plug Club: Motto "Keep plugging away"

Anybody remember Fireball, i was in the Fireball club too, which gave you a kickass huge (plastic)medallion to wear. C-o-o-l.

2000AD was the king of them all though, for art, storyline, variety, unsurpassed. It's just a shame i gave away all my early copies to a mate during a moment of idiotic camaraderie, they'd have been worth a packet now. :cry:

I should have consulted the mighty Tharg.

• 3 weeks later...