Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

Wave power is a total waste of time.

Tidal turbines fine, but years from large commercial developments due to ALL the public's money going to useless industrial wind factory's needing fossil fuel backup. :evil:

PJ, perhaps you'd like to explain why windpower needs fossil fuel backup. After all, what's wrong with hydro-electric backup, or gas-turbine backup, it can be fired up in a few minutes. It doesn't need to be running while the wind-turbines are producing.

I drove along the Lang Kames t'other day and tried to imagine what we would see if/when the windmills are built.

Could someone possibly mock up a photo with them in scale from the road to give me an idea.

Francis, there is a drive-through video of the Lang Kames here:

http://www.vikingenergy.co.uk/wind-farm-videos.asp

2nd video down. :wink:

^^^^ Actually, hydro makes the best back-up for any kind of intermittent power generation as you can go from zero to full output in less than thirty seconds. No other form of generation has that kind of response time.

That's mainly how it's used at the moment. When you get to the commercial break in Strictly the X-factor goes dancing, get me out of there, or the end of beastenders, and half the country switches their kettles on, they use hydro to meet the surge in demand.

^^^^ Actually, hydro makes the best back-up for any kind of intermittent power generation as you can go from zero to full output in less than thirty seconds. No other form of generation has that kind of response time.

That's mainly how it's used at the moment. When you get to the commercial break in Strictly the X-factor goes dancing, get me out of there, or the end of beastenders, and half the country switches their kettles on, they use hydro to meet the surge in demand.

I'm not arguing that it doesn't make the best back up, a hydro dam can be producing almost literally within seconds. What I'm saying is, much better to do away with intermittent sources altogether and operate solely on hydro.

The only time an intermittent and hydro mix makes any sense to me, is if the hydro source does not have capacity to supply 24/7, and the intermittent supply *hopefully* buys enough time for the reservoir to replinish. Anything running to that extreme is operating way beyond its safe limits though.

I drove along the Lang Kames t'other day and tried to imagine what we would see if/when the windmills are built.

Could someone possibly mock up a photo with them in scale from the road to give me an idea.

Francis, there is a drive-through video of the Lang Kames here:

http://www.vikingenergy.co.uk/wind-farm-videos.asp

2nd video down. :wink:

Thanks - that is exactly what I wanted.

Gosh, they are mahoosive. They really are.

I am now very depressed. :(

Ghostrider wrote :- In fact there is at least one tidal source we could possibly be using right now, the technology for it does exist. Granted it would cause ecological disturbance, but only a small percentage of what VE will, and it would be limited in output and duration, but it at least, being tidal it would be consistent, reliable and predictable. Gremista could know days and weeks beforehand at what time, for how long, and by how much they could power down.

Dat widna be " Da Pool " related wid it GR ?, aye tocht dir wiz possibilities dere !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/8363643/Transport-Secretary-Philip-Hammond-reveals-his-ignorance-of-wind-power.html

The writer of the article linked above states that the Transport Secretary is either being untruthful or is totally ignorant of how windfarms are funded. Personally I think that he knows exactly what he is doing, and is just carrying out orders to plant a seed for the eventual reduction or abolition of subsidies, as is happening in other European countries.

I that that Viking Energy should have an urgent review of their business plan, that is assuming that they have one in the first place.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy