Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

There's gonna be a visitors center to sell little plastic wind turbines, does that count as a tourist attraction?

I don't think there will be any tourists that when booking their holidays that are going to think - 'No, we won't go to Shetland now, because they have a big windfarm.'

There will no doubt be those that come here for a holiday and dislike the look of the project but I don't think that one thing (big though it is) will be enough to put them off.

Someone mentioned the other day that the roads/tracks that will be over the hills could open them up for more walks. The road up Collafirth courages people to walk Ronas hill. I wouldn't feel so inclined to do so from sea level....

Oh, and happy birthday Islandhopper, did the Scapa flow well?

I don't think there will be any tourists that when booking their holidays that are going to think - 'No, we won't go to Shetland now, because they have a big windfarm.'

That's absolutely right, Sudden Stop,

but it is due to the fact only, that the said "any tourists" don't know that much about Shetland at all. Those "any" (normal) tourists spot some rocks in the northern seas, start thinking "that might be interesting", order (probably) the tourist brochure from VisitShetland, make their bookings, and start travelling.

"Any tourists" do come today. The interesting questions are:

i) Will there be more to come?

ii) Will those tourists who have been up there come back?

The answer to both questions will be NO!

The boom is turning into a boomerang!

That is not my opinion, that is - as far as the impacts on tourism are concerned - the resulting trend of actual joint venture research projects carried out by the industries (wind power + tourism) in close co-operation with nature conservation groups & organisations and comminity councils after 15 years of development (and fighting against each other) over here!

And these results for distinguished tourism areas are based on representative polls, representative by age, sex, income, holiday budgets, social status, recreational preferences & behaviour etc.etc. - not just about the meaning of some 307 "any tourists" in 2002 in a distant area with no idea about the proposed project but for a representative sample of "typical tourists" frequenting a particular region and with the turbines in viewing distance.

Now, let's do some profiling the "typical tourist" visiting Shetland, the educational background, the general interests, the particular interests in Shetland ... where will we find him, when he is in Shetland - walking around Sullom Voe OT or Eshaness coast etc.etc. ????? ... and finally: How much money will he spend for travelling Shetland and to see what's on offer over there?

Despite all that we have to think about the fact that tourism is just a minor business compared with the (foresaid) big money in return from the wind power plant. So: Why discussing the impacts on tourism at all? Stop wasting money for further developments or be consequent and concentrate them on Jarlshof and Sctaness! At least all those folks interested in ancient monuments could easily fly in and out via Sumburgh and won't be touched by (possibly) negative industrial developments in north mainland ... :roll:

... by the way, Sudden Stop: The Scapa flew well, just like a little spring ... THX ;-)

Despite all that we have to think about the fact that tourism is just a minor business compared with the (foresaid) big money in return from the wind power plant.

I disagree, the number of people who’s jobs are dependant on the tourism industry (directly or indirectly) is far greater than those that will be employed by the windfarm.

I disagree, the number of people who’s jobs are dependant on the tourism industry (directly or indirectly) is far greater than those that will be employed by the windfarm.

Absolutely agreed. That's one of the key questions! Shetlands quota of the whole Scotland tourism is not the best. But is it worth to put this existing businesses at risk for an unpredictable future? Well, I know about the discussions when the oil was at the horizon but that was an investing in a "never ending story" in those days. Today the predictable future of (inland / onshore based) wind power plants is a story of 10 to 15 years ... and that's the difference.

I also think a key part of the future of renewable energy is in energy storage. What I want to know is what exactly has the PURE project in Unst achieved so far? There has been allot of our public money pumped into this already. As far as I can gather the project is developing a system to harvest hydrogen from wind turbines or any other type of renewable energy.

I think turning Shetland into a producer of hydrogen fuel could be a great thing to aim for in the long term. Production could be gradually stepped up to suit the coming market. This way, there is NO risk of going bankrupt involved.

I think we should wait, save our public money and look into more manageable and less risky ventures in the future. Lettings these gung-ho reckless councillors put our wealth at serious risk, I dont think is in any of our interest.

What good I think has come out of this project so far, is now people are developing there own ideas on how best we can put our winds and tides to good use, I think there is allot more room for new ideas. Long may the discussions continue.

Viking energy I fear is not wholly thought out. Why Shetland Aerogenerators Ltd are given a 10% share is beyond me, why can they not extend their own farm, or develop the proposed farm at Cunningsburgh instead?

I don't see a problem with Shetland Aerogenerators getting a 10% slice of the profits, provided they invest 10% of the money which Viking energy puts into this scheme. If they are not putting up any of their own money however, I agree that they should not have such a large share of the business.

Viking energy I fear is not wholly thought out. Why Shetland Aerogenerators Ltd are given a 10% share is beyond me, why can they not extend their own farm, or develop the proposed farm at Cunningsburgh instead?

I don't see a problem with Shetland Aerogenerators getting a 10% slice of the profits, provided they invest 10% of the money which Viking energy puts into this scheme. If they are not putting up any of their own money however, I agree that they should not have such a large share of the business.

I was hoping David Thompson could come on line to Shetlink, as he has done in the past and confirm they have put up 10% of the development stage money, and will put in 10% of the development costs, guarantee 10% of the bank debt in similar percentages to the other shareholders and will subsequently and quite rightly receive 10% of the net profits of Viking energy.

It would be far simpler for them to confirm as opposed to all of us speculating?

(** MOD EDIT ** - created the quote for you ;))

I was hoping David Thompson could come on line to Shetlink, as he has done in the past and confirm they have put up 10% of the development stage money, and will put in 10% of the development costs, guarantee 10% of the bank debt in similar percentages to the other shareholders and will subsequently and quite rightly receive 10% of the net profits of Viking energy.

It would be far simpler for them to confirm as opposed to all of us speculating?

Company house records for Viking Energy Ltd show that the total share capital raised so far is £1000. 4 private shareholders have put up £100 (ie. 10%) of this.

David Thompson owns 25 £1 shares. This makes him an owner of 2.5% of Viking Energy. If the headline grabbing profits (which I very much doubt) are £25m per year, then David personally stands to gain about £625,000 a year in dividends. Not bad for a £25 stake.

If this was a straightforward business, with no public money involved, great, nice work if you can get it.

Unfortunately David Thomson also appears to be a council employee, ie. paid by public funds, working on a public project which will personally benefit him to the tune of £625,000 a year if the projects own figures are to be believed. No wonder he works so hard, and is so enthusiastic about the project. He is knowledgeable and talented yes, but there is also a clear conflict of interest here.

You've got to ask yourself how this has come about? Did the Shetland Aerogenerators Ltd. directors want to do the project themselves but the council jumped in and offered this sweetener for them to hand it over? How do their other companies fit into the picture: Viking Wind Ltd and M D Developments Shetland Limited? Were other members of the Shetland public offered the opportunity to buy shares at a knock down price? Something isn't adding up here.

... and then look at a Satellite View of Burradale (** MOD EDIT ** - put URL into BBCode to stop page width being huuuuge ;))

and see the nice access roads and hardstands for the smaller turbines on the hill between Shetland Golf Club and Tingwall Loch with A970 to the right ... and then try to argue that the peatlands further north will not look like a hollowed cheese after construction.

Viking Energy Limited

Company Number SC256581

Private Company Limited By Shares

Principal Business Activities - SIC Codes 4011

Registered Office: 10 Charlotte Street, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 OJL

Company Secretary: David Henry Thomson - 10 Charlotte Street, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 OJL

Director 1: Alastair Thomas James Cooper

DOB: 20/04/1950

Nationality: British

Director 2: Willian Henry Manson

DOB: 15/05/1943

Director 3: William Andrew Ratter

DOB: 28/03/1952

Director 4: David Henry Thomson

DOB: 07/06/1976

Issued Share Capital:

Ordinary

- Number of shares issued: 1000

- Aggregate nominal value of issued shares: 1000GBP

Full Details of Shareholders:

Shareholding 1:

900 Ordinary Shares held as at 25/09/2006

Shetland Islands Council

Economic Development Unit

Greenhead Rase Gremista

Lerwick

Shetland Ze1 0NT

Shareholding 2:

25 Ordinary Shares held as at 25/09/2006

David Thomson

Shareholding 3:

Dennis Thomson

Shareholding 4:

Micael Thomson

Shareholding 5:

Angus Ward

Re trout:

My English is to poor to say it properly, but ...

i) such an overall construction would call the colleagues of "Audit Scotland" and/or the procurator fiscal to the table over here just to check whether or not there is some kind of "insider promotion", "insider business" if not "corruption" involved in the whole affaire ... :?:

ii) will those shareholders cover the costs of project development out of their own pockets and according to their shares (by the end of 2007 we have to discuss some 1 mio £)

iii) are there any chances for "claims to damages"/"official liability"(?) as far as some of those involved are officials and/or elected representatives (acting on behalf of the community)?

The SIC has had a long history of creating joint ventures for projects - some more successful than others. For example Shetland Towage was originally set up with a tug company from South who provided expertise in running such a company.

The SIC councillor directors are there as guardians of the public purse. The Shetland Aerogenerators directors are there as experts. Having a financial stake makes them more likely to ensure the project's success. As far as I am aware David Thomson is employed by Shetland Aerogenerators , not the SIC.

I note from Viking Energy's website that the planned equity investment for the SIC and SSE is £21 million each. A £25 shareholding won't get much of the profit!

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy