Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

Come now AT, you're forgetting that climate change MIGHT be combatted by building windfarms nearer to consumers and not dumping one on Shetland. tut, tut.

Not so, you have to build your windfarms where the wind blows (ie: here), not where the people are. Anything else would be pointless.

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs - so Shetland is the ONLY place in the UK where the wind blows? I never knew that. :wink:

unlink please just wait until the winter then you will know. you have been very lucky upto now autumn is coming in quick.

I know Paul, I know. But I still have fond memories of doing my paper round as a teenager and being blown off my bike; the pubs drawing lots as to which would stay open all night (and which Landlord would phone the police sending them to a broken down motorist on the A1077 and an hour later, someone else doing the same thus relieving the town of all police), school being cancelled for 5 days at a time due to the snow drifts and town being cut off, watching the Slumber Bridge being built aka Britains Biggest Blunder (Humber Bridge/British Bridge Builders), being on the bus from S{by the way, do you realise I tried to swear here?}horpe to Barton-upon-Humber as it attempted to get up the hill at Ferriby (we're all gonna dieeee shouts went up on the top deck); telly aerials and garden sheds landing in next door but seven's garden and last but not least, the inevitable, ooh we got a Force wotsits gale again, where's me kite and sheepishly looking on as the electricity blokes received said kite from being wrapped on the electricity cables three days later.

Oops, forgot the Humber ferry getting stuck on a sand bank!

Point taken, I know it gets windy. I will endeavour to make it to the car in the mornings without being blown into the Pool of Virkie and hopefully said car having both doors left on it! :wink:

Mmm, howabout sticking wind farm next to Immingham Oil Refinery? Can definitely vouch for the fact it gets windy in the Humber Estuary.

DavrossT.....why don't you read the SAT objection?

The answers are there.

They want to preserve possible archeological sites that will only come to light after extensive digging and surveying, which would require access roads and even further developement if the sites where to become attractions.

DavrossT.....why don't you read the SAT objection?

The answers are there.

They want to preserve possible archeological sites that will only come to light after extensive digging and surveying, which would require access roads and even further developement if the sites where to become attractions.

And at the same time they have no regard whatsoever about what the predicted 1m+ sea level rise will do to the coastal archaeology. Bizarre.

Just to clarify something. I think the VE environmental assessment suffers from the same flaw as the SAT reaction to it, namely that by doing nothing, nothing will change. This may mean I'm being a bit harsh on the SAT report as they are reacting to a flawed report in the first place.

But, just the same, for a group which claims to be protecting Shetland's environment to completely ignore the biggest threat to Shetland's environment since the last ice age, in a report about something which is supposed to help mitigate the biggest threat to Shetland's environment since the last ice age, is still astonishing.

Edit:Edited, for clarity. :wink:

AT maybe you could furnish us with a bit of info about your background and relevent qualifications and experiance, as it is you are preaching but without this info you really are just blowing enough hot air to keep the wind farm going even on the calmest of days.

To be honest it is like a tribesman from outer Mongolia telling us about the London underground system

But, just the same, for a group which claims to be protecting Shetland's environment to completely ignore the biggest threat to Shetland's environment since the last ice age

There's your problem.

This is the bit you never seem to get AT. Just because they, or anybody else, does not fully support VE does not, nor ever has, meant that they "completely ignore" climate change or anything else of that ilk. It is a terrible, terrible assumption to make and aspersion to cast on anyone who doesn't agree with your seemingly uncompromising view on the matter.

You've said yourself in a previous post that if an alternative existed you would support it and yet accuse those who seek or envisage that alternative of "completely ignoring" climate change.

It's just not right. :?

So AT lets build a 300 turbine wind farm at cape wrath the CT could invest in it and that way we get a return on our investment and don't have to destroy Shetlands hills in the process, i'll guarentee less folk would be affected visually, no need for a cable under the sea so that several hundred million of the price tag for a start, and the wind down there is every bit the equal of the wind up here.

If you want to see how and where wind farms of this magnatude should be built then look no further than the islands offshore from Kristiansund in Norwayfine and compact very little top soil needed to be removed before bedrock was reached so very little disturbance to the natural order of things.

The fact is your mesianic ramblings do more to turn right minded folks of windfarms in any way shape or form, so kep it up you environmental nazi

But, just the same, for a group which claims to be protecting Shetland's environment to completely ignore the biggest threat to Shetland's environment since the last ice age

There's your problem.

This is the bit you never seem to get AT. Just because they, or anybody else, does not fully support VE does not, nor ever has, meant that they "completely ignore" climate change or anything else of that ilk. It is a terrible, terrible assumption to make and aspersion to cast on anyone who doesn't agree with your seemingly uncompromising view on the matter.

You've said yourself in a previous post that if an alternative existed you would support it and yet accuse those who seek or envisage that alternative of "completely ignoring" climate change.

It's just not right. :?

Perhaps you could point out to me the bit in the SAT report where they consider the effects of climate change? I seem to have missed it. Or perhaps you could point out the alternatives they suggest?

So AT lets build a 300 turbine wind farm at cape wrath the CT could invest in it and that way we get a return on our investment and don't have to destroy Shetlands hills in the process, i'll guarentee less folk would be affected visually, no need for a cable under the sea so that several hundred million of the price tag for a start, and the wind down there is every bit the equal of the wind up here.

If you want to see how and where wind farms of this magnatude should be built then look no further than the islands offshore from Kristiansund in Norwayfine and compact very little top soil needed to be removed before bedrock was reached so very little disturbance to the natural order of things.

The fact is your mesianic ramblings do more to turn right minded folks of windfarms in any way shape or form, so kep it up you environmental nazi

Yeah, ok sheepy, I'll bite. I would support that, but no-one's proposing that, are they? The VE proposal is the one on the table, and furthermore, that's the one that gets us the interconnector, which allows the development of tidal, wave and offshore wind up here. Without the interconnector, none of the rest of the stuff will happen.

The simple fact of the matter is that two-thirds of Shetland's central mainland peatland is already degrading so badly that it is a carbon emitter. There is no truth in the belief that leaving the peat alone will save it. Viking Energy's proposal will actually be looking after large areas of this peat and preserving it in a way that Mother Nature isn't going to do.

We can't bury our heads (in peatland) here.

*EDITTED - thank you OriginalUsername :wink: *

The simple fact of the matter is that two-thirds of Shetland's peatland is already degrading so badly that it is a carbon emitter. There is no truth in the belief that leaving the peat alone will save it. Viking Energy's proposal will actually be looking after large areas of this peat and preserving it in a way that Mother Nature isn't going to do.

We can't bury our heads (in peatland) here.

Who says that the only way to preserve the peat is to build a wind farm then?

^ Nobody is saying that.

What they ARE saying is that we need money to be able to invest in the badly damaged peat. And frankly, the peat isn't high on the agenda when purse strings are tight (i.e. we're going to need 150 new care places soon.. that's 6 million a year).

The wind farm would provide the affluence required to invest in areas such as the eroding peat.

Any other suggestions on money making opportunities as we watch our oil funds dwindle would certainly be welcomed!

Oh and BogMonster - it's 2/3rds of the Central Mainland peat that is eroding, resulting in the Viking site being a net carbon emitter.

I'm not sure we have figures for Shetland as a whole because these kind of investigations cost money - which we're running out of... :wink:

Let's get rid of the Amenity Trust. That's a million and a half saved a year.

Nah, I kid! :lol:

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy