1. 1. Who is going to stop paying??

• Me
    • Not Me

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

khitajrah

If you think that the letters are frightening, don't open them?

And if you don't open them, how the hell do you know? :shock:

Well you would have to open the first one, of course, to be able to determine that you are frightened by it. By the time the 30th letter arrives surely you should know what's inside it and should just bin it.

^^ be carefull because if it's a tv you're watching it on it will still have a tuner in it...so technically you still need a licence! (afaik)

No you don't. You only need a license if it's set up to receive a signal. We do have a television set, something we got a few weeks ago to go with the new Wii. They got me to turn it on and show me the tv socket (which doesn't actually exist in this house) and they were happy enough with that. No problems.

From memory the wording is "to install and operate"..........which I believe means that you do not need a licence to have a tv installed to receive broadcasts as long as you do not operate it to receive those broadcasts. How could that work?........well if you decided to stop using the receive bit the day your licence ran out.

Also seem to remember that you are not obliged to let the snoopers into your home if you do not want to........it is up to them to prove that you are breaking the law rather than for you to proove you are innocent.

...snip... Also seem to remember that you are not obliged to let the snoopers into your home if you do not want to........it is up to them to prove that you are breaking the law rather than for you to proove you are innocent.

That's absolutely correct and makes me wonder why people let them in. If they have the technology that tells them if you are watching a TV illegally then let them use it. We have all paid for it after all so it might as well be put to some good use :lol:

You have no legal obligation to reply or open the letters. If you purchase a TV, the retailer will ask for your name and address which is passed on to TV licensing.

If they knock on your door, you are under no obligation to speak to them or to let them in. The only way they can get in is with a court order and to get one they must satisfy the magistrate that you are indeed receiving a broadcast; their so called vans do not constitute this proof. Simply not having a licence is not grounds for an order.

As said you don’t need a licence to own a TV, only to use it to receive broadcasts.

If they can see the TV switched on from your front door, they are entitled to pier through the letterbox, as a letter box is classed as having an implied right of access. This would constitute proof.

Guest Anonymous

It is worth remembering that the legislation also covers any item, such as VCR, DVDR, Sky, etc.. which is capable of receiving any licensed television broadcast.

I have heard of cases where people have disconnected their TV from the aerial, but forgot to disconnect the VCR, and were therefore, technically, still guilty of an offense.

Whether you are using the equipment is irrelevant in the eyes of the law. They can, and do, assume that as the equipment is at your disposal, and connected, you are guilty. :cry:

For the last four years, every may I get a knock on the door and some smug git tells me that I am receiving a TV signal and I do not have a TV license. I ask him to wait at the door go and get my TV license and very nearly ram it down his throat, then I berate him because his organisation once again hasn't updated the details of our property as it is my waste of space student neighbour who doesn't have a TV license, has never made any attempt to get one and even told the guy that he got the properties the wrong way round and it was her that had a license and not me but she wasn't going to show the license because something was on the cooker and she was in a hurry to get back to it. I have to admire her brass balls but if I ever hear her saying that lord help the fat ginger waster.

I'm almost agreeing with Edmonds on this one and after Mr Blobby that man has some way to go to get me on side.

I have been hounded and hounded by TV licensing for YEARS now. Every time they 'visit' they agree I don't need a license, but because I move frequently they keep on needing to check my new addresses. If you stay put they check once in three years. If you have a TV license you can update your change of address via their web site. But, when I ask why this couldn't also apply to those who they have agreed don't need a licence gobblygook legalese comes back. To be sure I am sick to death of their constant interuption into my peaceable (and lawful) use of my own home. As for ignoring the letters (or not opening them) all that happens is they rack up the pressure and send someone around anyway. Sometimes these are fairly nice people (as reported above) sometimes they are very aggressive and out to get you (I heard somewhere, not sure if it is true or not, that the 'agents' get paid per conviction/person they persuaded to get licence. Could explain why some are more desperately tough than others). It gets to the point where I feel like I am stuck in a Kafka novel.

Parrallel case 1: for a long time I didn't own a car and so no car was registered at my address. DVLA didn't call round investigating me every time I moved.

Parrallel case 2: now i do have a car, and the speedo goes up to 120mph. But the police don't bang on my door every few months saying that because I have a car that is capable of speeding that I must therefore be speeding. NO!! They have to catch me in the act of speeding.

What I want to know is just why TV Lisencing are so different and why they get away with being so aggressive in their activities to prevent what is basically tax evasion.

BTW you don't need a licence to use BBC iplayer. Neither do you need a licence if you just have a TV set or video recorder (this covers cases such as if you rent property and TV/video comes with the furniture, as happened once with me. Luckily the guys that visit were of the nicer variety and understood that a TV in the attic is not being used, and I didn't have any choice about keeping the objectionable object). You ONLY need a licence if you watch or record TV programs as they are being shown. And really for a conviction they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that this has happened.

The British justice system is based on a presumption of innocence until one is proved guilty. I have no idea at all how TVL get away with their presumption of guilt until one can prove/persuade them of innocence.

BUT. If you should have a TV licence, then go get one.

Dippydi.

• 5 months later...

^^^

What a load of rubbish that site is.

Join this campaign today and let the Government know you will not tolerate their blatant use of our money to publish and broadcast their propaganda, lies and corruption.

Treason has been committed and is still being perpetrated on a daily basis, and you by paying this tax are allowing this to happen.

after ploughing through a lot of garbage I came to this:

Many people who have followed this procedure have not paid for their licence for many years, and have not been prosecuted for none payment – not even contacted by the BBC regarding future payment. In the very near future we will be publishing a list of people who have refused to pay, and continue to do so.

I then clicked on the link to 'non payers' and found that there are 5 people who are non payers and 2 who are 'intending' non payment. I don't think I would regard 5 people as 'many' but more as a 'few oddballs'

I suppose the site did give me a laugh. But worryingly the writers seem to believe their own propaganda.

I think I will continue to fund the 'evil and corrupt' BBC, and enjoy watching programmes without a single advert in them.