iPhone

Njugle

Indeed. I guess most perfer just being told what they do and don't want rather than actually thinking for themselves when it comes to tech in general. Hence why Apple succeed so much.

I suppose the real issue right now is whether or not Palm are going to go bust. No new hardware in a while and their stock price isn't exactly rosy. Losing WebOS and "new" Palm, would be a very bad thing.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No new hardware in a while? New versions of the Pre and Pixi came out a few months back. Hitting the UK in April apparently. As for all the Palm going bust talk... that's mostly coming from the Android camp. O2 have been utterly pants at promoting the Pre it has to be said. Them having the iphone has a lot to do with that.

The paid European app catalog comes online next week and the ease of porting from other *cough* iphone *cough* apps using the just released PDK (native apps) will see it take off. Games (3D and otherwise) are tip top... and you actually have buttons to play with! Imagine that.

Having taken the plunge into writing my first app for webOS I'll certainly write more. Very easy and very powerful. You get reasonable access to the OS and other apps too - not like with apple and their lockdown which, from the Pwn2own contest, isn't very secure in the first place.

The homebrew community is very lively and, shock of horrors, not hounded by Palm lawyers. Neither is Android or WinMo for that matter. Palm are happy for people to extend the OS however they want to. How it should be :D

A mate and myself were up at brae hop and i had to send his wife a message because his O2 iphone didnt have a signal, my phone is vodafone but not an iphone.

Jumbo you should ask Frankie to go for a drive around the isles with you ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I was saying most of the talk was coming from the Android camp.

As for your link... I'd be afraid as an Android owner. WebOS is a much more elegant OS and it's not fragmented to hell. Were someone to buy out Palm and do a decent job of plugging it, Android numbers will be the ones to suffer.

Anyhow, back OT. Crippled multi-tasking is coming to the iphone. Not to older ones either. They're tool old now. you'll need to buy a new one (again). I'm sure it'll be as elegant and magical [read] as the notification system.

Steve Jobs (only in his world mind) owns the word "Pad".

Apple are going way OTT in their crusade to block Flash and lock developers in to only developing for their OS. Apple are most definitely worse (evil) than Microsoft ever were these days.

• 2 months later...

4 is out... and reports ain't so good. Yellow spots on the screen, scratching and signal dropping 3 bars (out of 5) when... you pick it up:

Nevermind the borked and very limited multitasking and apple further trampling all over the freedoms of developers and users alike. It is shiny though.

Kwality!

I don't have one, I'm not sure yet whether to get one, but:

The yellow discolouration seems to be a very limited manufacturing fault - from well over half a million shipped for the release day. They'll be replaced.

The antenna fault seems to be either restricted to low signal areas, or a software fault. It seems to be cured by using a cover - but many a reporting no problem with it in the first place so I'm not sure what to make of it.

The limited multi-tasking is a deliberate move for better battery life, apparently, so a positive thing. If you are not constantly awaiting background Facebook updates, as a prime example, there should be no problem. Facebook will carry on as before, it just won't be allowed to hog system resources constantly checking for updates, between being viewed itself.

The SDK for apps is free and uses pretty much VB for programming - so not reeeaallly much of a restriction, more of a refinement. :P

Aaaand the long lasting shiny-ness is due to helicopter-windscreen grade plexiglass type stuff.

Just sayin..... :wink:

Still not sure whether to get one... I'll wait until the excitement has passed and then check the forums again.

The yellow discolouration seems to be a very limited manufacturing fault - from well over half a million shipped for the release day. They'll be replaced.

Check the ex Apple fawning blog Gizmodo. They have plenty reports already. It does sound like units are from a bad batch that was rushed through to be fair.

The antenna fault seems to be either restricted to low signal areas, or a software fault. It seems to be cured by using a cover - but many a reporting no problem with it in the first place so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Well the dude in the video had 4 bars so I doubt it's a reception issue. Latest word has it that it's when skin bridges the lower left gap of the external aerial - such as when held in the left (or even right) hand. That won't be fixed with a software update. Adding a cover does seem to sort it though as long as there's a big enough gap. Still...

The limited multi-tasking is a deliberate move for better battery life, apparently, so a positive thing. If you are not constantly awaiting background Facebook updates, as a prime example, there should be no problem. Facebook will carry on as before, it just won't be allowed to hog system resources constantly checking for updates, between being viewed itself.

Not adding 3G was also a design decision "for better battery life". I get that Apple wants the interface to be responsive 100% of the time but forcing developers to recompile their apps at the very least and recode them at worst (to actually get some actual form of multitasking) is pants. Other operating systems quite happily run Twitter and Facebook updates without touching performance and they are all user configurable as to how often, if at all, they poll for new data.

The SDK for apps is free and uses pretty much VB for programming - so not reeeaallly much of a restriction, more of a refinement. :P

VB? As in Visual Basic? Not so. Try C. And the SDK being free is nothing special. All platforms offer free SDKs as it's in their interest to do so.

With Herr Jobs ruling out interpreted code and comparability layers it is very much a restrictive platform. A lot of developers ain't happy at the move dressed up as giving the end user the "best experience" but, in reality, looking to lock developers in to either writing only for iOS or having to write code twice to get on other platforms.

Add to that the seemingly random rejection "policy" of Apple for apps and you can easy see why developers are rightfully wary of the platform. Only the excellent marketing department of Apple and the general public ignorance (that's ignorance meant in a nice way ;)) of other platforms has kept the sales sky high thus providing a draw for said developers to chance their arm.

Aaaand the long lasting shiny-ness is due to helicopter-windscreen grade plexiglass type stuff.

That's helicopter-windscreen grade plexiglass type stuff that scratches on the front if you try hard enough and a whole lot easier on the back ;)

Still not sure whether to get one... I'll wait until the excitement has passed and then check the forums again.

A wise move I fear.