iPhone

Njugle

Have you got a reference for this,

The suit was not actually against Atari but against Digital Research who made the GEM system. The result was that DR were forced to castrate future versions of GEM. Having committed to GEM this was a large blow to the ST development programme. Many consider it was a critical factor.

Wikipedia[/url]"]GEM "look and feel" suit

Apple forced Digital Research to alter basic components in its Graphical Environment Manager ("GEM"), almost a direct copy of the Macintosh's "look and feel" with a copyright infringement suit. Features removed from GEM as a result of the lawsuit included drive icons on the desktop, movable and resizable windows in the file manager, shading in the title bars, and window open/close animations. In addition, visual elements including the scrollbar thumbs and the window close button were changed to be less similar to those in the Mac OS.

At that time, Atari, Commodore, and PC's all had mouse driven GUI's.

Mouse driven yes, but it was the overlapping window aspect where the ST encountered the trouble. MS Windows only had tiled windows up till the release of Windows 2 in 1987.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was a large blow to the ST development programme. Many consider it was a critical factor.

Not according to the wiki GEM page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_Environment_Manager

"As Atari had provided most of the development of the 68k version, they were given full rights to continued developments without needing to reverse-license it back to DRI, who had apparently lost interest in the 68000 platform. As a result, the Apple-DRI lawsuit did not apply to the Atari versions of GEM, and they were allowed to keep a more Mac-like UI."

Besides, how could development be hampered seeing as all future versions of TOS were downwardly compatible with the original OS, which was released before the outcome of the Apple/DR lawsuite?

We can geekily trawl the internet for claim and counter claim, and I conceed your point that Apple (like many companies) are notoriously territorial.

You seem, however, to have missed my point (although to your credit you've somehow taken us on a pleasant - yet decidedly off-topic - debate regarding the legal status of operating systems belonging to long obsolete 16-bit computers - a niche interest to say the least!)

My point was that I feel NO brand loyalty and regard the whole Microsoft/Apple/Nokia/Google/OCP corporate battle with only mild interest.

I no longer hold any strong feelings with regard to whom the "baddies and goodies" are perceived to be. I simply go by my own experiences as an end user, which I can assure you, are infinity more balanced than when I'd jealousy chide Amiga owners for being rich posers (Amigas cost roughly£100 more than STs...)

I don't disagree with any of your points, they are all fair.

At the time we early ST users did feel sorely peeved about the action by Apple. Whatever was going on inside Atari, the feeling in the community was that it was extremely "rich" of Apple to sue for technology which they had copied from Xerox. Apple fans could argue that Xerox could have hit Apple, but ... it is all so negative. There was a widespread feeling that although the ST version of GEM was not specifically banned, the success of the Apple lawsuit had hung a sword over the future of the ST. Hard to tell what might have happened.

^Until the next OS update when you have to play the waiting game for the compatible jailbreak to come out. Having said that, jailbreaks are sometimes out before the OS update itself. iphones (touches and now pads too) have been the quickest to hack at various competitions for a few years now so you never have to wait too long for a jailbreak. It's more the hassle you shouldn't have to go through to get your phone to do what you want it to.

• 1 month later...
Im due to renew my mobile contract and was thinking about an iPhone 4. Would anyone who already has one advise me for or against getting the iPhone 4?

It depends what kind of person you are. If you like a piece of technology to just work out of the box with usually very little faff, but enjoy being told how, when and why you can't do certain things an iPhone (or any Apple product) should be right up your street.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
ParaHandy

Da iPottie had me rofl. Abosolute classic!!

BTW when ir you startin ta sell dem? :P

Crazier thing is you probably could sell dem fur a fortune, da flush button could also set of da classic mac start up chime, we built in straming itunes ta da bog. lol

Paint it Silver?

And put a Apple Logo on it and most mugs will buy one

Just to show off to others

The ITurd is next big thing.