Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I can get Mareel to turn a profit but I'd want a lot more than being offered in their advert.

£100k + 5% of all profit generated. Give me a shout SA :wink:

Yay, good to see ya back on the boards, JON! I think you should apply btw. :wink:

I might be wrong but I'm sure there was to be about 177 shows a year at the Mareel. Is that no happening then? Cause there is lucky if there is 1 a week. So how can it make money?

Can anyone clear this up?

Also if I mind right 47% of running costs were to come from the bar.

And be self sufficent after a year so there's still time for a profit. Or maybe a loss?

Buckle wrote...

[A week has passed since Council meeting and no statement has been made.

What is the future of Shetland Arts? Time enough for details to be issued surely?]

It's good, the new chairman says so. He also says Mareel is now secure and the organisation can move on and develop it and all the other areas of activity they are responsible for and he says they will have to continue to reduce dependence on public money for revenue costs. I believe they have doubled their turnover in just a few years.

Having failed to book a cinema ticket for mareel using Shetland Box Office some time back I see from the SBO website that they had a problem with the type of debit card I was using which is now fixed. Not very professional.

Anyway I decided to get rid of an old spam ridden e-mail address and to use a new one. Now it is fair to say that SBO is not the only site I have had problems with but when I tried changing my e-mail address they managed to lose both the old and the new e-mail addresses leaving me with the option of re-registering or simply not going. Guess which I will choose!.

Having failed to book a cinema ticket for mareel using Shetland Box Office some time back I see from the SBO website that they had a problem with the type of debit card I was using which is now fixed. Not very professional.

Anyway I decided to get rid of an old spam ridden e-mail address and to use a new one. Now it is fair to say that SBO is not the only site I have had problems with but when I tried changing my e-mail address they managed to lose both the old and the new e-mail addresses leaving me with the option of re-registering or simply not going. Guess which I will choose!.

Ah, I see. You're blaming the discontinuation of the Maestro debit card - which has been ongoing since 2009 - and the frequent problems it causes online shops, coupled with your switching from a spammed email address to a different one on Shetland Box Office.

Makes no sense, but that's par for the course on this thread.

No the card is not discontinued........just that SBO's system could not take it and for that matter did not even bother to tell potential customers that they could not take it. Made about 10 payments with that card in the last week including a couple of payments to people I have never dealt with before yet they had no problems with it.

And I should be able to change my e-mail address at any site I am registered with. Done that with 28 websites so far today and SBO is the only one I had a problem with. Seems to me that SBO have a problem with their software and need to get it sorted.

Remember this is costing Mareel money. OK so only one cinema ticket from me so far but how many others have not been able to book?.

you should phone mareel 74 5500 and tell them, then they might be able to fix it, if they cant then phone islesburgh 74 5555 they might.

I'm suprised you wanted to go this week, its mostly repeats!

I've given up looking now

Film I wanted to see was a few weeks back. Only reason I have expressed my views here quite strongly is that I hope someone from Mareel/Shetland Arts monitors this topic and I really do want to see the venue being a success.

The offerings from the cinema have been truly awful now for weeks & weeks, biggest pile o rubbish i have ever seen - dismal.... even if Mareel can only show certain flicks they are just utter tosh.

Happens everywhere post-Oscars. Hollywood saves it's crap till after then and before the big summer blockbusters come out. Can't be helped.