Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

The agenda for tommorrow's (Wed 25th June) full council meeting can be found here - http://www.shetland.gov.uk/coins/agenda.asp?meetingid=2312

Mareel is item number 01 on the agenda and you can download the recently commissioned SIC report entitled "Mareel Capital Project: Way Forward" by following the link entitled "View Papers" (you may have problems trying to download it on a Mac. PM me with your email address if you do)

The meeting is open to the public and I suggest you get there in plenty of time before the official start at 10am so that Town Hall staff can get an idea of numbers to make sure they hold the meeting in the appropriate room and provide adequate seating

I am insanely nervous.

Unfortunately Im sooth so canna attend da Toon Hall in person :x, but will be dere in spirit. Here's tae a positive ootcome, an a bright future fur wir creative industries.

SHETLAND ISLANDS COONCIL - PLEASE DO NOT MAK A HOL O DIS.

SUPPORT MAREEL!

The report was written by Hazel Sutherland (Executive Director of Education and Social Care), Graham Johnston (Head of Finance) and Neil Grant (Interim Head of Economic Development)

There are many facts and years worth of research to consider, but the report does clearly highlight several areas where political decisions must be made, whilst considering the evidence available in particular areas

In my humble opinion, it's a very thorough and balanced report

Fingers crossed indeed!

Sorry to disappoint but I feel that this project is not one I support, having read the finacial projections before the recent fuel rises I felt they wre ambitious but now I feel they are cloud cuckoo land.

There are many things around Mareel which i am not happy with - some for under provision as well. However the thing that recently brought things home to me was the article in the Shetland Times regarding BBB's last gig in shetland before they were of to glasvegas to follow their dreams and ambitions. I wish them well, but it just shows that you have to move away from Shetland to make it in the music business.

Shetlands investment in training has been very successful and we perhaps should concentrate on this aspect of things rather than building ivory towers.

Particularly in making sure our young musicians have the neccessary business savvy and support as well as talent to cope with the hard realities of the professional music business.

While I am of the opinion that the arts needs additional capacity I feel that money would be spent on refurbing/extending the Garrison and Mareel should be placed firmly into the same scrap bucket as that other white elephant the Bressay brig.

However no matter what any of us think it will all be settled tomorrow, unless of course the decision is deferred :o