Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

The MAJORITY of the people I know seem to be against the CMV

It is likely (but not proven) the the majority of Shetland's population would also be against it.

Using the same logic:

The MAJORITY of the people I know seem to be for the CMV

It is likely (but not proven) that the majority of Shetland's population would also be for it.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Guest Anonymous

Although I was one of the people against Mareel.

It is now an established fact that it is going ahead, so there's little point arguing over it now. I would suggest that in the interest of making best use of public funds, everybody should now give it their full support to ensure its success.

It would be a helluva waste if people didn't make use of the facilities, just because they didn't originally agree with it.

Dookin fir cover noo :wink:

You cannot just have a special meeting because the Flea says there must be one.

Not only that, but councillors were well aware that a decision had to be made at that session, as scheduled. Further delays in arranging another session in which all the members were present would most likely have killed the project off for good. Which, of course, is exactly what certain members would like to do, despite protestations to the contrary.

There is plenty of money in the capital spend programme to accomodate Mareel (which has been underspent for several years anyway). It is the only large scale project in the capital programme ready to go at the moment. Building it will not impeach upon new high schools or care homes - projects which aren't even in the capital spend programme at present. The business plan has been minutely scrutinised by some major funding bodies. They have not found it wanting. The council's own experts have scrutinised the figures. They have recommended the council make the investment. The council has voted on a motion which was tabled six weeks ago. The majority of councillors present voted in favour. Yet this is still not enough for some people.

The Flea and his cronies have lost on this one and rightly so. As Malachy said earlier, at some point they will have to wake up to that fact and stop chucking their rattles out of the pram.

I can only assume that there is a protocol for this type of situation, which would have been followed. You cannot just have a special meeting because the Flea says there must be one. This went through the correct process, it came to the meeting and this decision was taken. Sandy Cluness did not plan it all and then send away those councillors deliberately. The opponents seem to assume they have a moral right to block this project. Mareel had already been agreed by council previously. Flea and the gang asked to have it put back in front of the council. Correct procedure was followed and they lost the vote. Democracy works that way.

I have no wish to get into any kind of p*ss*ng contest with you on this but, consider for a moment the contempt that you are showing to some of our elected councillors by referring to them as "Flea and the gang" and, anyone else for that matter, who seems to oppose the CMV.

If a councillor cannot ask for a special meeting to consider an important topic then who can and, if several request such a meeting, why should one person be in a position to refuse it?

Furthermore, at no point did I suggest (or even hint) that Sandy Cluness had deliberately engineered a critical absence in his favour.

I simply pointed out that when he used his casting vote he chose to ignore the views of those away on official council business and knowingly went against the view of the MAJORITY of our elected representatives as a WHOLE.

FWIW;

I have no idea if there is any kind of 'rule' attached to this but you have to question the morals of his decision if nothing else.

There had been requests for a special meeting that would include ALL councillors. Blocked or refused by the convener.

Surely yesterday was a meeting that could have included ALL councillors, why was another needed? Why was their no motion made to defer yesterday then, until all councillors were present, or a motion to hold a special meeting made either? Seems to me the objectors went in believing they had a majority, and didn't cover their collective asses adequately before the vote, in the case of it going against them.

Some of the missing councillors (3, I think) were away on official council business and their views (opposed) on the CMV were known to the Convener.

Assumptive. They weren't there to participate in the debate, the possibility that their view and/or voting preference may have changed from their previous known stance, as a result of the information before them and what was said, cannot be overlooked. You cannot count uncast votes, nor can you count on previous views still holding good when time and events have moved on.

As had already been said, *if* they had particularly strong views on the issue, they should have tried much harder to actually be there and contribute to the debate/vote. If it was truly impossible to be there, they could very easily have sent a letter to the meeting stating clearly their views. The fact they weren't and didn't suggests they have no preference, or at most a minimal one. "You snooze, you lose!"

I'm still unconvinced that this is the right building, in the right place, or that the projected income figures will prove to be realistic, BUT, Shetland needs a decent venue of some description, and after the millions spent of just about every sport you can imagine, folk with no interest in sport whatsoever deserve their cut of the cake too. Most importantly this issue needs closure, it's been rumbling along so long now it's a hair's breadth short of degenerating in to a farce, not to mention the costs connected rising all the while. Yesterday the objectors had their chance to give it their best shot, they played their hand, and the democratic process, for what it's worth and with all it's faults came back with it's answer. End Of!!!!

If the missing councillors felt strongly enough, they should have been there, the objectors should have done their best to make sure the misisng councillors were there so as to be assured of the fullest support, or lobbied those who shared their views to write letters to the meeting if they really could not attend. The objectors had the opportunity yesterday to move for deferral, they had the opportunity to move that a special meeting was held. None of these things happened as far as I am aware. They gave it their best shot, and they lost, so be it. The only thing left for the objectors to do is to kick their own asses for not being better prepared and having a better strategy, anything else IS sour grapes.

According to councillor Gary Robinson himself and the other councillors against Mareel are determined to halt the project from ever reaching completion Mareel Objectors Battle On

Tonight on Good Evening Shetland, Allan Wishart has stated that he will abide by the decision FOR Mareel as was democratically voted for despite originally being in opposition. Listen to Allan Wishart on Good Evening Shetland

Lets hope the remaining councillors against Mareel follow his lead, respect the decision that has been made and refrain from bitter attempts to scupper this much needed and much wanted facility!!!

Although I was one of the people against Mareel.

It is now an established fact that it is going ahead, so there's little point arguing over it now. I would suggest that in the interest of making best use of public funds, everybody should now give it their full support to ensure its success.

It would be a helluva waste if people didn't make use of the facilities, just because they didn't originally agree with it.

Dookin fir cover noo :wink:

Exactly, the people involved with getting it built need to get on with making it a success, the people against it need to realise the place is going to be built and is a venue that can only enhance the island, if you don't use it then it will become a drain on taxes so you might as well stump up your cash willingly and enjoy the place.

On the other hand people crowing "stuff you lot it's getting built even though you don't want it to" need to remember that for the place to succeed they need to get as many folk through the door as they can so alienating anyone even at this stage is pretty damn stupid.

I just hope the ever rising cost of materials doesn't push the tenders up too much.

The councillors who were not present during the meeting were indeed on official business trying to do good for the local community by meeting with the Scottish Goverment to try and reduce the excessive licensing charges due to be introduced by new licensing regulations. Such legislation could have dire consequences on local rural communities (halls and local shops). An important meeting don't you think.

I imagine one of the reasons for the casting vote to be used in the way it was used was to prevent the convener form being seen as the person who prevented Mareel from being built. I imagine the press would have spun it along those lines anyway.

Personally I feel that if he knew how the vote would go and was probably glad that some of the objectors were not there.

What got me thinking was Jonathan Wills comments regarding the levels of staffing in Shetland Arts. Quite a few of them were at the meeting and have probably attended every council meeting where decisions on Mareel took place. This was not essential as they didn't need to be there. The decisions would have been made without them and if they were not busy enough to have work to do well then I think I have made my point.

The new Lerwick high school was up for discussion that day too. I don't think any of the High School staff were at the meeting. I guess they were busy enough educating the children of the community!

What got me thinking was Jonathan Wills comments regarding the levels of staffing in Shetland Arts. Quite a few of them were at the meeting and have probably attended every council meeting where decisions on Mareel took place. This was not essential as they didn't need to be there.

Had it been my future employment prospects then I would certainly have been there. Had nobody turned up then somebody would be bound to say, 'The Shetland Arts bunch couldna gie a toss'.

The new Lerwick high school was up for discussion that day too. I don't think any of the High School staff were at the meeting. I guess they were busy enough educating the children of the community!

Reschedule it for a couple of weeks time, they have a good month or two to work with there.

The councillors who were not present during the meeting were indeed on official business trying to do good for the local community by meeting with the Scottish Goverment to try and reduce the excessive licensing charges due to be introduced by new licensing regulations. Such legislation could have dire consequences on local rural communities (halls and local shops). An important meeting don't you think.

I thought doing "good for the local community" these days concerning alcohol was anything that discouraged irresponsible use of it, and that was one of the sound bites from the objectors side, concerning the bar facilities, that the media put forth immediately after the last meeting too. Seems a little rich to me anyway, that the objectors lost the day because some of there alleged number were elsewhere, actually trying to make alcohol easier to get for all. The word "hypocrisy" seems to come to mind.

Point taken though, it was for the benefit of some Shetlanders....licencees. Important meeting? Yes, perhaps, was today the only possible day it could have taken place? Probably not.

What got me thinking was Jonathan Wills comments regarding the levels of staffing in Shetland Arts. Quite a few of them were at the meeting and have probably attended every council meeting where decisions on Mareel took place. This was not essential as they didn't need to be there. The decisions would have been made without them and if they were not busy enough to have work to do well then I think I have made my point.

A bit of a low dig, is it not? It's hardly comparing like with like. Mareel, as best as I know is the Arts current big project, and I assume most Arts staff have flexible schedules in to which they could make time to be there. Previous meetings aside, this was make or break day, and using the above logic they couldn't win whatever they did, as if there had been no-one from Arts there, sure as hell someone would have drawn a conclusion to the effect that "if they can't be bothered to send someone on a day such as this, they can't be too caring about it".

This was, as best as I know, a regular day at the AHS where staff are tied to schedules laid down in writing at the end of last August, sure a few would have had break periods that coincided with some part of the meeting, but highly unlikely anyone had ones that coincided with the entire meeting. I must admit that it surprises me that no-one from the AHS was there when their building was on the agenda, and it worries me that no one was, a whole lot more than it worries me Arts turned out in force, as it does give the distinct impression of a lack of caring on their part. That said though, as far as I am aware the AHS debate today was not a crunch decison between opting for the new build, or scrapping it and making do with what already exists.

Don't remember much teaching being done this close to the holidays, half the kids have buggered off on holiday by now.

Would also like to point out that no one bothered to change the design of new school to fit in with new education system (my papers for educational changes go back to 2001, so they've had some warning). So it looks like the mareel is the building more fit for purpose, how many more millions are they going to spend so town kids get a pretty building? At least Mareel is for the use of ALL shetland residents and visitors.

Indeed - a worthy cause. Community halls face yet another viability hurdle, having jumped through many hoops in the past decade +

I imagine one of the reasons for the casting vote to be used in the way it was used was to prevent the convener form being seen as the person who prevented Mareel from being built. I imagine the press would have spun it along those lines anyway.

Subjective.

Personally I feel that if he knew how the vote would go and was probably glad that some of the objectors were not there.

Subjective.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Also another subjective quote. So they were at the meeting - this debackle has been rumbling for 3/4 of a decade + .... it's at a cumulative point in it's lifespan ... *ponders* Hmmm ...

Crikey. Let's get that barrel of tar heated up I say.