Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

In terms of expenditure from the SICs revenue budget (Shetland Arts estimates prevailing) you're probably right. However, despite the commendable efforts of Shetland Arts to secure £4.2 million in external funding, the remaining capital cost of £5.1 million - or whatever - is going to have to be funded by the Council. Thats money that won't be able to be spent on the growing list of non-luxury projects on the SICs capital programme.

Thanks Shetlander, that is the point I've been trying to make for days now. Some people here just don't want to listen!

The other worrying thing is that while the lottery and others can toss in their bit and walk away, the council or one of our local trusts will be left to pick up the pieces when the wheels fall off Mareel, as they inevitably will.

Sounds like Mareel will be back on the agenda with regard to costs. Sad for all the people who have worked hard towards the project but maybe this is also one more chance to examine what is proposed and to consider that perhaps Mareel is trying too hard to be good at several things and by so doing is failing to be good at any. Just a thought.

You can argue that the business model is not solid, although I don't think it has been questioned by anybody that has been through the figures, but on their own numbers they are not planning to ask for a subsidy.

Well I collared one of our elected representatives on Da Street and in spite of being in favour of Mareel, he told me that councillors had savaged a business plan presented to them last year. So presumably SA must be on at least v.2 of their business plan?

Aparently one of the most contentious issues was the projections for the sale of booze. £250,000 + a year but there were other issues.

Are we to have more alcoholics or will they just leave whichever drinking den they currently frequent? Either way it isn't good.

So presumably SA must be on at least v.2 of their business plan?
It's regularly reviewed and updated

perhaps Mareel is trying too hard to be good at several things and by so doing is failing to be good at any. Just a thought.
This point has been raised several times, but seldom do people elaborate on why they think a multi use facility wouldn't work. Perhaps if folk were to explain their reasoning their concerns could be addressed?

I believe the opposite: that there are many beneficial synergies, both economically and functionally, to be gained from having multiple integrative uses under one roof, as I have previously posted

perriebryan wrote

This point has been raised several times, but seldom do people elaborate on why they think a multi use facility wouldn't work. Perhaps if folk were to explain their reasoning their concerns could be addressed?

There is one site constrained by physical boundaries in which we could see both a music venue which is too big for many things and too small for others and a cinema that is also too big for some of the "arty" films that I would hope Mareel would show while being too small for the latest blockbusters.

I am in favour of a cinema and music venues but I still fear that Mareel is in danger of following the concept of a horse designed by a committee and turning into a camel.

I did like the idea of using the old AHS for rehearsal rooms and recording studios and so on.

There is one site constrained by physical boundaries in which we could see both a music venue which is too big for many things and too small for others and a cinema that is also too big for some of the "arty" films that I would hope Mareel would show while being too small for the latest blockbusters.

I understand your reasoning, and an expedient 'middle ground' must be found, taking into account any existing provision. The capacity of both the music venue and cinema have been carefully considered on their own merits (and I don't think the physical boundaries have been an issue in that respect i.e. if the site was bigger, it is unlikely the building would be bigger).

However, the point you made earlier was that "perhaps Mareel is trying too hard to be good at several things and by so doing is failing to be good at any". Your post doesn't really address why you think the cinema, music and/or educational aspects will have a negative impact on each other.

perriebryan wrote

However, the point you made earlier was that "perhaps Mareel is trying too hard to be good at several things and by so doing is failing to be good at any". Your post doesn't really address why you think the cinema, music and/or educational aspects will have a negative impact on each other.

Educational aspects would probably not have any sort of negative impact but is it possible that the AHS site would be a better location as well as being a good use for an empty building.

Doubt if there would be any great conflict between the cinema and concerts as long as the soundproofing works but I wonder about "gigs". Would people want to go to the cinema and have to exit into wandering drunks waiting to get into a gig?. Will the venue built to include a cinema be big enough to attract big names?. Will the cinema built into a venue be too small to show blockbusters or too big for art house films?.

And the location........will the local residents have to suffer late night noise as in the old Jubilee?. Will the people who want a venue having lost the Jubilee and the North Star really want to go to some posh arts trust run place?

And finally is the venue too close to the water as was claimed when a proposal to turn the old ice factory into a nightclub was knocked back by the planners?.

Educational aspects would probably not have any sort of negative impact but is it possible that the AHS site would be a better location as well as being a good use for an empty building.
There are many benefits to having creative industry education in a working venue. Some quick examples: music technology strands will benefit from experience gained in 'real world' recording and PA work; event management strands will benefit from experience gained in programming and staging concerts; film students will gain experience from being able to view their work in a real cinema

Doubt if there would be any great conflict between the cinema and concerts as long as the soundproofing works
The areas will be acoustically isolated from each other

but I wonder about "gigs". Would people want to go to the cinema and have to exit into wandering drunks waiting to get into a gig?.
The cafe bar is a separate area

Will the venue built to include a cinema be big enough to attract big names?. Will the cinema built into a venue be too small to show blockbusters or too big for art house films?.
As I stated in my last post, the music venue and cinema capacities and have been carefully considered on their own merits

And the location........will the local residents have to suffer late night noise as in the old Jubilee?.
There will be negligible acoustic spill from the venue and, as far as I'm aware, no complaints have been raised by local residents

Will the people who want a venue having lost the Jubilee and the North Star really want to go to some posh arts trust run place?
One oft voiced complaint re: the North Star & Jubilee was the decrepit states of the buildings. I certainly don't envisage Mareel as being in any way elitist, rather it will be a comfortable and pleasant place to spend time

And finally is the venue too close to the water as was claimed when a proposal to turn the old ice factory into a nightclub was knocked back by the planners?.
re: the Ice Factory. The 'too close to the water' claim was one of many reasons for the development of a nightclub being refused (but it was the one that made the headlines). There have been no objections raised in that regard as far as I'm aware

One oft voiced complaint re: the North Star & Jubilee was the decrepit states of the buildings. I certainly don't envisage Mareel as being in any way elitist, rather it will be a comfortable and pleasant place to spend time

Baroc is 'a comfortable and pleasant place to spend time.' Unfortunately it isn't busy. The whole attraction of the Jubilee and the North Star was that it wasn't very comfortable or pleasant but you could have a good time. As long as you didn't break the place up (too much) or diss the bouncers you could pretty much please yourself.

Mareel will be far too sanitized to ever emulate the North Star or the Jubilee and that's where the problem lies.

Guest Anonymous

Simple question. I'm sure the answer is in this thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

What is the audience capacity of Mareel for a concert?

Aparently one of the most contentious issues was the projections for the sale of booze. £250,000 + a year but there were other issues.

Are we to have more alcoholics or will they just leave whichever drinking den they currently frequent? Either way it isn't good.

In my experience a lot of Shetland drinking is off-sales booze consumed at home. Going out for a drink socially while participating in another activity seems a healthier (and more sociable) option than sitting at home getting pissed. Only losers might be the off-sales in the supermakets. Don't see that sinking Tescos.

Simple question. I'm sure the answer is in this thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

What is the audience capacity of Mareel for a concert?

Taken from the letter Shetland Arts wrote to Councillors which peeriebrian posted a few pages back

The plans for the building have been subject to wide consultation and to careful and continuous development, and the plans currently propose:

• An acoustically excellent music auditorium that can seat 320, OR hold about 600 standing (the seats are fully retractable). The acoustic has been designed to accommodate various types of musical event and different genres of music.

• A cinema auditorium seating 159 people, with top quality seating, sight lines, sound and screen size, fully digitized projection equipment, including the facility to show the latest 3D films.

• A second, smaller screen, seating between 35 and 45, that can show first release films but can also be used by film makers screening their own product. (This screen is being paid for specifically by the Scottish Arts Council).

• A recording studio, designed specifically for education and training needs.

• A multi-purpose rehearsal space that can accommodate dance (currently extremely difficult to find appropriate dance rehearsal space).

• A digital media production room for film-makers and digital media artists.

• A café bar that also serves as break-out spaces for education, training and meetings.

• A second floor development that will incorporate designated education space and possibly, small start-up units for creative industries.