Argos

jps

You go to the building straight ahead at turning for passenger carpark for Northlink (there is an Argos sign on it, you can see it from the main road). The office is on the water side. They mostly have the up-to-date catalogue. I think it is run by SBS now (they have a phone number, can't remember it!).

Get catalogue, peruse at leisure then order. You can phone your order in but get them to check whilst you are ordering whether it is in stock. It usually takes a week if it is in stock. If not, back order. For every order form you fill in, you pay about £6 postage and that will get it the Lerwick office. You can fit about 6 things on an order form and it is £6 for the lot, not per order.

It is not a bad service. Can have hitches if you don't think before Christmas. Also have alternatives - quite alot of stuff is out of stock. Argos do not necessarily have the best prices I have found, especially electrics. There always Amazon too.

Good luck!

You can get things through argos but if the item says home delivery only then northwards get it sent to their base, then you have to pay the freight to them. I ordered a display cabinet , paid the amount in the catalogue plus the extra £6? then the £20 to northwards so the cabinet which i couldn't get anywhere in Lerwick, cost me over £100. Although i'm delighted with the cabinet i'll certainly be more wary when ordering bigger items.

Slightyly off-topic but in a similar vein.. You used to be able to order Ikea stuff here through.. Shetland Line in Lerwick? Hopefully someone will correct this! :D

It's Shetland Transport that does Ikea. Their depot is is between the Lerwick Fish Traders factory and the Norscot Angling club.

yes I had that too when I ordered a shed. They didn't tell me how much extra it would cost me at the Argos place, I just got a phone call after the shed had been delivered from Northwards telling me how much I owed them, which was in the region of £70 8O . I guess you learn from your mistakes, and I won't be ordering any large items through Argos again.

You can phone them on 01595 69 3070 and you can order it on the phone out of the catallogue. I got full set of flat pack furniture delivered recently and toys and things before. Paid £6 freight and that was all. There was no charge for delivery by Truck to the north isles on smaller items, dont know for larger things cause I picked the flat pack up myself. They will phone and tell you when goods arrive, it takes about a week.

It's not northward that delivers here though.

Best to arrange pick up if your worried about extra charges.

Happy with service to date.

The cheapest way i found, and the easiest, was ordering from argos online (for large items), as they tell you if its in stock or not right away. In my case (I was ordering double bed, wardrobes, chests of drawers an mattress), i had to wait 20 days or something, but used the online 'Home Delivery' Option, which costs £5.95, then shopped around for prices from local haulage companies, and got it delivered to their depot in aberdeen..

The cheapest company i found was Shetland Transport.. And some of the quotes, especially northwards - seemed to be outrageous..

Hope this helps !!

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Could someone tell me how I go about buying something from Argos to be delivered to me here in Shetland?

I want to buy a sideboard that I have seen in the Argos website. Every time that I try to contact the store in Aberdeen, I get through to a large call centre (after choosing a series of automated options) and they don't seem able to help.

:(

Any help here will be appreciated.

:P

Thanks.