Driving whilst using mobile phones

lambie

Today in Lerwick, here was this bold boy racer riding the clutch of his blue Subaru waiting to turn right into the Gremista Industrial site, left hand on the wheel and yes right hand with the mobile stuck to his earhole. Car coming into town flashes him to proceed. " unbelievable ".

See more and more of this every day. Are we still waiting on the police to make a first conviction of this in Shetland or is it that nobody really cares ?

The police cant be on every road, every second of every day! He will come again, and no doubt he will get caught out, the same as the rest of us.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am noticed a lot o drivers on phones too, towt aboot a quick blast o da horn joost as your passin dem, might gee dem enough o a gluf tae think twice abbot doin it next time :D
And it might also get you in court for inappropriate use of the horn. Remember the thing is only meant to be used in certain circumstances and reminding other drivers that using a mobile phone is illegal is not one of those occasions.

This falls into the category of if you think using a mobile and driving is bad!

Hampshire Police have revealed they spotted a motorist driving while using a laptop, writing down the answers to a quiz on the radio and drinking coffee all at the same time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8805953/The-crazy-drivers-who-have-stunned-police.html

There are a few other examples of dodgy behaviour at the wheel there also

is it not a little odd how people get so wound up about topics such as this, in particular, when mobiles came about there was no such law prohibiting their use behind the wheel. were people beeping their horns at you then?

perhaps we are all doing things today which will be considedered malum prohibitum tommorrow?

perhaps we should stop doing everything.

if im honest i use my phone whilst driving if i need to, i answer it (one tap of the screen without looking) and put it on speaker ( another tap of the screen) which is alot less distracting than adjusting my radio or adjusting my aircon.

i think im perfectly competent to talk and drive at the same time

It gets me upset because I was my daughter and I were almost hit by a driver on a mobile phone at traffic lights. No objections to folk on hands free, but idoits who are too selfish to keep their attention on the road... well I wish that phoning up the police with their registration was enough.

Many folk think they are OK to drive after a couple of pints. I also agree that ?aircon? (in Shetland) and other things can be a distraction, as you have mentioned. It is the drivers responsibility to comply with the law regarding driving. Just because there was no law regarding the use of mobile phones, there were still other laws that covered driving or more the point causing an accident when distracted.

There is plenty of evidence, from both witnesses and research that prove that driving having a conversation do not mix too well.

Unless you are very special then it applies to you as well.

........, but idoits who are too selfish to keep their attention on the road... well I wish that phoning up the police with their registration was enough.

these crimes MUST be reported to make the Stats. Once they are at a sufficient numbers the selfish toss pots can be caught. It would be the only way really to highlight the problem. Your Councillors and MSP/MP/MEP can make a representation as well if approached.

clearly some very entrenched veiws on talking.

i dont beleive for a moment that talking on a mobile is any more distracting than a conversation with a person sat next to me, certainly less distracting than children in the back or a baby on board as so many are so keen to advertise.

arrogant? please, dont be simple.

if im honest i use my phone whilst driving if i need to, i answer it (one tap of the screen without looking) and put it on speaker ( another tap of the screen) which is alot less distracting than adjusting my radio or adjusting my aircon.

i think im perfectly competent to talk and drive at the same time

So du tinks du's a great driver, man du’s braagin aboot nithing ageen – afore I drive I hae 10 pints o heavy, dan spek apo mi mobile wi wan hand an scratch me ers wi da idder as weel as purl wi mi eyepod an swear at da Saat Knav.