Brae Hotel

oldscalloway

Da Taft camp cam tae a helleesh state ta end up wi - a proper eyesore.

If I mind right da solution wis ta let fok come an tak it him ta bits as long as gey got da scran. Problem solved.

Suggest sam fur Brae 'hotel'.

hmmm. winder if der ony dacent fowre bi twos?

big ferries nou you keen - plenty room fur da traffic.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It needs a serious re-paint - it's had a good number of these over the years but they haven't helped one bit.

It really is a blight on the landscape, and we who live in Brae consider it a local embarrassment.

But if it involves spending money you can bet it won't be done...

I have just returned for a week in Shetland, which I really enjoyed. The weather was 'surprisingly' fantastic and a bit unusual, according to the locals.

My husband and I took a drive through the west mainland yesterday and were quite shocked to see the Brae Hotel in such a disgusting state. We were just commenting on how clean the island was - up until this point!

We were looking for something to eat at the time and had the hotel not been such an 'eyesore' we would most definately have stopped in Brae. I'm surprised the hotel does much trade at all looking like that. How has it survived this long?

I think it is possibly a saving grace that the hotel doesn't have a website, (as far as I know?), as noone coming from south would want to stay there if they saw what the outside looked like. What does the inside look like, out of interest?

They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but we all do, especially buildings. If the owners can't be bothered to take care of the outside, then I can just imagine what the inside but be like.

I feel sorry for the people who live in Brae, because apart from the hotel, it is a lovely wee place.

I hope the owners read this thread and do something about it soon, otherwise they will deservedly go out of business.

Maybe if the locals in Brae stopped using the hotel, they would soon realise they had to do something?? Just a thought!

I hope the owners read this thread and do something about it soon, otherwise they will deservedly go out of business.

Maybe if the locals in Brae stopped using the hotel, they would soon realise they had to do something?? Just a thought!

They dont struggle because the oil companies use it for workers at sullom voe. I doubt any locals use it.

This might be a waste of time but..... The operators of the Sullom Voe Teminal, BP, ultimately are responsible for the contracts they award and those contracts incluse the 'standards' of accomodation for travelling workers. A bit of an embarrassment to BP if some pictures of the 'accomodation' were to find there way into the national media. If the hotel owners found their bread and butter contract under tthreat they might react dfferently.

• 4 weeks later...
<-snip->....can't the Council impose an order on the owners to have it repainted?

Would you appreciate the council ordering you to paint your house/shed/garage/boat/whatever, whenever they, not you, considered it "necessary"?

Why not lets just go completely Communist then, the last eleven years of watered down "red" in Westminster had gotten a lot of Communist ideaology shunted quietly in the back door, or fobbed off as something it wasn't. Isn't that enough before we start inviting it?!?!

Paint, especially exterior paint, is firstly for protection, and secondly for artistic effect. If the owner of a wooden hut chooses not to protect the timber from our version of the elements, then look on the bright side, the sooner the place will fall down round their ears. Problem solved!

Bobby - the current owners of Busta were for many many years the owners of the Brae Hotel. They're business people first and last, the profile of Busta makes havin it bonny part of the business plan.

The idea that the Council or BP should get involved is to me totally OTT - its paint we're speaking about, not global warming. The Community Council is the place to take this kind of thing.

The owner of the Brae Hotel is working towards getting the place looking better - and as I understand it the contractors that have been appointed have to finish their current job and then recladding the Brae Hotel is next on the list.

What a lot of negative assumptions can be made when the facts aren't known!

When you compare it to Busta House, one of the most beautiful small hotels imaginable...

Converted from the Lord Lt's house to a hotel by my husband's family back in the 70s. If you're a lady with peerier legs than a bloke and struggle a bit like me with the stone steps going down to the entrance - blame my hubby! He built them.

The appearance from the outside is enough to deter anyone from venturing inside. If they can handle an exterior like that; imagine what the staff, kitchen and food must look like? First impressions are the ones that count.

There are two potential solutions.

1. 240 gallons of paint and 10 painters.

2. 5 gallons of petrol and 1 pyromaniac.

Didn't someone once try to burn the place down before?

^^^I know what you mean. Yesterday I'd nipped to the Brae Post Office to send a postal order, and on my way home a couple of cyclists had stopped and were looking up at the hotel in disgust. They asked if I knew where another hotel was, and I gave them vague directions to Busta.

It really is such a blight on the landscape.