Police

More than 1,000 serving police officers in Britain have criminal convictions, according to figures obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

More than half of the 1,063 convictions relate to speeding or other motoring offences, 77 officers have convictions for violence and 96 for dishonesty.

The Liberal Democrats, who obtained information from 41 forces, called the figures "staggering".

Police chiefs said each case was assessed on its merits.

Serving officers who are convicted do not face automatic dismissal, but the Association of Chief Police Officers said it was "very rare" for people with convictions to be recruited by the police.

The number of serving officers with convictions includes five who were sacked but then reinstated by the Home Office.

Among others to escape losing their job was a West Midlands Police officer who was convicted of kerb crawling.

Keep jobs

The figures also show that forces serving Durham, Surrey, Dorset, Greater Manchester, Lothian and Borders, and Grampian had a total of 132 serving officers with convictions but not a single one was dismissed.

Offences included a serious assault in Durham, four incidents of drug possession in Surrey and two incidents of misconduct in office in Manchester.

The total figure for Britain, which does not include cautions, is likely to be higher because some forces did not provide full details and 10 gave no information at all, said BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw.

The figures showed 210 officers had been dismissed or required to resign in the past five years as a result of criminal convictions.

Of those with convictions for violent offences such as assault, battery and wounding, 77 had kept their jobs, while 45 had been dismissed in the last five years.

There are 96 serving police officers with convictions for offences of dishonesty, including theft, perverting the course of justice, fraud and forgery.

'Bad apples'

Liberal Democrat spokesman Chris Huhne said it was "worrying" that so many police officers with serious convictions had been allowed to keep their jobs.

"It is staggering that so many of the people entrusted to protect us from crime have criminal convictions themselves," he said.

"The public entrust the police with the use of legal force precisely because they are self-disciplined and restrained, which is why anyone convicted of a violent offence should be dismissed."

He added that those convicted of dishonesty could not perform their duties effectively, as they could not be relied upon as a witness.

"Police forces should get tough on bad apples," he added.

The figures cover only those forces in England, Scotland and Wales which responded. The Police Service of Northern Ireland refused to answer the Lib Dem's request for information.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the police like everyone else is human. Are you without sin. never sped never done anything against the law. the saying those without sin cast the first stone applies. im sure the senior police staff have investigated each event. after all they all need disclosers to keep there job. so its not possible to hide your conviction. im sure if the chief cunstable could sack some of them he/she would. but like everything else in this country they are covered by employment laws.

• 2 weeks later...

^Seems excessive to say the least. Mind you the recent protest over here resulted in the police using teargas and rubber bullets. The wounds inflicted by rubber bullets are not nice and one protester lost a finger. Again, the police were heavy handed, although they did nip the protestations in the bud quick smart; but teargas and bullets against snowballs and taunts ain't on.

Around 5,000 people were involved in a peaceful protest; however a minority kicked off and the whole felt the brunt of it.

But, may I add, my dealings with the police in Shetland have always been amicable.

How is it acceptable for police officers to act in this way? I fear that this type of abuse will be seen at the G20 in London and many other protests throughout the country this year.

the revolution will not be televised

It likely wont be seen at all now that you can get done for taking their picture.

There were a few heads twated in June last year in Whitehall, when Bush pop over for a cuppa with the Queen but not a peep of it made the telly.

Of course it must have all have been because of evil punks, just trying to start trouble.

Or was it......

Dear Home Secretary,

(EDIT) -

Never mind; upon checking out the story it seems that just as I suspected, you can't trust a twat like Galloway either.

http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/galloway-fake-protesters-and-the-daily-mail/

What is crime and what is not.

What is justice, I think I forgot.

Squeeze the trigger 1986; aint a damn thing changed, mother f******.

^did I miss something there?

where were they being brutal?

I only saw one swipe a plackard that was being thrust in his face...personally I'd have done the same thing he did, probably worse.

There were more protestors trying to get a rise from them by pushing than there was any aggression from the police in that clip.