Police

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would remind some of my fellow users herein that each Force area is independent of the other. Each Force forms a collective part of the Police service, however no one in this Force has, to the best of my knowledge any more authority regarding the way the Metropolitan Police is run, than Delting football club has on the management of Manchester United.

To hold all Police Forces accountable for the alleged actions of the minority in one, would seem as sensible to me as holding all teachers responsible for the failings of some in inner city Manchester, or all social workers being held responsible for the much publicised failings of the few.

I am perfectly willing to continue to participate herein, and to debate reasoned criticism of our own local Force, where clear and unequivocal evidence is provided of same, as opposed to vague and nebulous rumour, as has been the case in some past posts. I will not further comment on the problems or alleged/perceived failings or issues within other Forces, nor shall I respond to "all Police are bad" posts (feel free to continue to post these, however, as is your right

:roll: :wink:).

Your humble servant. :)

On matters of local policing then and it was a fair few years ago Sherlock so you may not know of them but 2 names come to mind Cox and Patience, anyone have anything good to say about those 2.

Not that i have had much contact with the local police for many years but they certainly seem on the whole to be a damn sight better than they were when those 2 for want of a better word pilticks were on the force.

Lies made up most of their reports getting knocked about while under the age of 16 was common with those 2, it may have been a long time ago but their behaviour certainly makes me view the police with suspicion even to this day.

I had a job then and was doing it when certain officers swore blind that I was elsewhere doing other things.

On the contrary I would say it was this that gave me a deep mistrust of all things official and set my back up against authority.

probably set me back a few years if anything.

Guest Anonymous

Let me get this right, so tlady you are suggesting that maybe more people under the age of 16 should get knocked about by the police and that maybe this is whats wrong with society today?

I have a well balanced sense of whats right and whats wrong and its based on being brought up to be an independant free thinker.

Unfortunately your short sharp shock idea results in ,some cases, dead people, at best honest decent folk being harassed by the police for no reason, who clearly are above the law.

Just look outside the Shetland Times for evidence of this (world news)

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or confrontational I just sometimes find the naievety of some people who have been taught to "toe the line" astonishing

I would remind some of my fellow users herein that each Force area is independent of the other. Each Force forms a collective part of the Police service, however no one in this Force has, to the best of my knowledge any more authority regarding the way the Metropolitan Police is run, than Delting football club has on the management of Manchester United.

Would you say that Police procedures are determined nationally? Or will there be local/regional variations depending on circumstances?

To hold all Police Forces accountable for the alleged actions of the alleged minority in allegedly one, would seem as sensible to me as holding all teachers responsible for the failings of some in inner city Manchester, or all social workers being held responsible for the much publicised failings of the few.

There - fixed it a wee bit for you :wink: :P

But, to be serious, isn't it Daily Mail reader-ly, public reaction to look for scapegoats and (lazily) tar everyone with the same brush? Or at least media-led story-mongering? After all...sensation sells papers. Police, teachers, social workers going about their daily jobs is hardly headline news - it's when someone deviates from the norm that the media wooble up their ears.

I am perfectly willing to continue to participate herein, and to debate reasoned criticism of our own local Force, where clear and unequivocal evidence is provided of same, as opposed to vague and nebulous rumour, as has been the case in some past posts. I will not further comment on the problems or alleged/perceived failings or issues within other Forces

But sometimes vague and nebulous rumours are all folk have got to go on :lol:

I have had many dealings with the Police, but it is the one and only unpleasant one that happened when I was a teenager that I remember most clearly. I don't have clear and unequivocal evidence that it happened, but I know it did.

I welcome your view from the inside and your ability to comment on procedure...if you really are a policeman :wink:

Let me get this right, so tlady you are suggesting that maybe more people under the age of 16 should get knocked about by the police and that maybe this is whats wrong with society today?

I have a well balanced sense of whats right and whats wrong and its based on being brought up to be an independant free thinker.

Unfortunately your short sharp shock idea results in ,some cases, dead people, at best honest decent folk being harassed by the police for no reason, who clearly are above the law.

Just look outside the Shetland Times for evidence of this (world news)

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or confrontational I just sometimes find the naievety of some people who have been taught to "toe the line" astonishing[/quote

No that's not what I'm saying .. I was taught to respect my elders and the police, and the realization that they were not all worthy of that respect is quite a shock. My first reply to Sheepshagger was "tongue in cheek" hence the :wink:

Obviously not all police are guilty of breaking the law, or at times acting with unnecessary aggression towards the public (bullying), some are actually good people with a soul, but the percentage that are a bit chippy towards us, and have no personal respect for the law is too high, in my opinion.

If the police want to get an idea of how the public perceive them so they can improve themselves, why do they not carry out a bi annual survey, just mail out a questionnaire with a space for comments to everyone in the area they represent, if they are serious about keeping the peace, protecting the public and giving a good and fair service then they have nothing to worry about.

better yet when they find that one of their own is not on the straight and narrow they should prosecute with the full force of the law and not sweep it under the carpet.

The majority that do their jobs well are undermined by those that don't.

you are not going to get the headlines for doing your job the way you are supposed to but damn sure headlines are made when you don't.

If the police want to get an idea of how the public perceive them so they can improve themselves, why do they not carry out a bi annual survey, just mail out a questionnaire with a space for comments to everyone in the area they represent, if they are serious about keeping the peace, protecting the public and giving a good and fair service then they have nothing to worry about.

Unless of course they represent an area with a high crime rate in which case the criminals won't think they've been dealt with justly, nor will their friends and family. The law-abiding folk won't think the police are doing their jobs properly either since they're still threatened by crime. I reckon that would just end up a way for the criminals (and their families) to have a whinge about getting caught. IMHO.