Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

I think there is a big difference between browsing the internet during your lunch break and allowing an hour's break to turn into 2 hours plus thus interrupting your work and, quite frankly, taking the (coughs).

I remember temping at one place when overnight new IT policies came into force; the union had a field day as they had not been consulted, staff suddenly found themselves in breach of new policies that they hadn't been issued with (although it was on the organisation's intranet) and had not signed for receipt of the same. This was within a PCT and the NHS filter had suddenly decided not only to block the likes of eBay, but also Tesco and Sainsbury's. Now this caused lots of problems for healthcare workers who used to do their shopping online.

I believe it is ACAS who recommend that best practice is to issue staff with written policies and get the staff to sign stating that they have received and understood them, including when new policies are introduced. If you don't, you can end up with a situation where staff are up on a disciplinary charge for simply attempting to access a website whereas previously they could.

Now whilst I can understand the CEO not wanting staff to be wasting valuable worktime surfing the net when they should be working I do, however, find it to be rather extraordinary that Shetlink has now been blocked. Coincidence or what? (Waves to CEO as he reads this)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i'll be jiggered!!!, and I recently said the Shannonista guns had fallen silent.

Then what do I read at the 59th minute of the 11th hour before a "confidential staffing matter" is discussed by Council, following an extended process of re-running every bit of the process connected with it, consulting everyone under the sun about everything.

Breaking news on Shetlad News. A "major interview" with MP Alistair Cramichle, his breathtaking and wisdom laden keynote closing point. All Shetland Island Councils recent bad publicity, including Audit Scotlands adverse report, is focused on the need to "Free Willie" (in his opinion). He couldn't possibly do anything other than hurl himself body and soul into the campaign, and by the way dosn't think its fair to blame the convenor for any leadership issues.

Fair play to them, the "Shan-a-lang" campaign have been remorseless and relentless. I can't quite figure out why this is the be all and end all of politics in Shetland to our MP though?? maybe I don't mix in the right circles.

Interesting Interview, but nothing particularly new. Reassuring in a small way to know our MP shars the same broad view as most shetlanders regarding the current shambles.

The more increduous story on the SN today IMO is "Will calls for outside intervention" - exactly what he has been so vocal against since others sought exactly the same some weeks ago!

It contained another classic piece of SN "reporting" too :

The breakdown in relations between councillors and the chief executive has been going on for three months, since Mr Clark “deleted” the post of the assistant chief executive without consultation.

Mr Clark insisted he had consulted with the unions, as well as senior councillors and officials, prior to removing the post of assistant chief executive and creating a new post of head of asset strategy.

Of course, there is nothing to say investigations may not prove that indeed no consultation took place, however that is nothing but fantasy at this point in time.

^^ Who do you mean? Cllr Robinson?

More tabloid headline writing from the SN tonight, god forbid they ever create a poll! : Clark Dreams up new post for Willie

Sensible proposal (irrespective of idiotic headline), leaving the decisions with the members, some of whom will hopefully feel as stupid as they have appeared over the past few weeks now what was bloody obvious anyway is in front of them in black and white.

Interesting to note the SN appears to share the inability to grasp the fundimentals of budget management shared by a few members :lol:

Hopefully, today will mark the start of a new era within the SIC.

New jobs, new faces, responsibility, accountability and the interests of the Shetland people, over those of the current SIC leaders and executive.

Cull all of those responsible and move on to a new and vastly different regime.

It may take some pain and money to be able to move toward the future, but let's just get on with it. For all those council members who think they can get away with simply sitting on the fence, just do everyone a favour and tender your resignation today. You are responsible to the electorate for the ridiculous and embarrassing state of the current administration and need to lead the move toward remedial action.

Let's see some serious change and genuine intent to work for the benefit of all Shetlanders.

I look forward to the outcome of today's meeting and salute those members who have the integrity to drive the move toward change and resolution. You have the support of a large number of the Shetland population.

Let's do what needs to be done.

^^ Who do you mean? Cllr Robinson?

More tabloid headline writing from the SN tonight, god forbid they ever create a poll! : Clark Dreams up new post for Willie

Sensible proposal (irrespective of idiotic headline), leaving the decisions with the members, some of whom will hopefully feel as stupid as they have appeared over the past few weeks now what was bloody obvious anyway is in front of them in black and white.

Interesting to note the SN appears to share the inability to grasp the fundimentals of budget management shared by a few members :lol:

Its sensible only up to the point that *if* its adopted we will have two additional posts costing circa £100,000 for one of them, and probably similar for the other, floating around in a no man's land vacuum between CE and Dept Heads doing what, exactly? When prior to Goodlad waving his magic wand and created an assistant CE post, doing no-one is quite sure what, the CE post covered it all.

If Goodlad needed one lackey at his back to cope, and Clark needs two, maybe what's really needed is to clear the decks at the top, lose Clark and Shannon, lose the two proposed secondary to CE posts, save a bit of money, and offer £200,000 for the CE's post. We might actually attract someone capable of undertaking all of the work it entails. If we're going to have to have three sharing it, we're going far too far down the road of too many cooks....

According to the minutes of the first meeting Mr Clark “confirmed that the council was under spending†and there was “no pressure within the council to reduce staff numbersâ€.

Today SIC finance chief Graham Johnston tells councillors that the authority is in grave financial circumstances, heading into a revenue budget overspend of £16 million next year.

really a new post costing 100k well that's controlling spending. a person responsible for capital programs lets see maybe that's what his job is. three months to delete the post of assistant CE to then make a new post of assistant CE shear genius.

If Goodlad needed one lackey at his back to cope, and Clark needs two

I thought Mr Clark had made it pretty clear that he did not need any lackey at his back, it's just that certain councillors have ensured that there will be one whether needed or not!

Unlike the post of Assistant Chief Executive, the second post (of Head of Capital Programming) has never seemed like a lackey position, but a post that will be important in moving the council forward in years to come.

Let's see some serious change and genuine intent to work for the benefit of all Shetlanders.

Agreed. Although the "six councillors" (or is it five? or maybe just the one, really?) letter of the other day makes it look like that there are some who are just not ready for that.

Dreams up new post for Willie

So the whole past 6 months was just another Dallas script then

Mr.clark was just in his shower and dreamed the whole thing

So what’s next a body under the town hall patio (Brookside)

Who shot the Convener Sandy Cluness (Eastenders)

And all the bitching going on will be from (Dynasty)

A big fire at the town hall lose all the embarrassing paperwork (Coronation Street Rovers Return fire)

It no wonder no one can believe anything that is being said from the lot of them

Dreams up new post for Willie

So the whole past 6 months was just another Dallas script then

Mr.clark was just in his shower and dreamed the whole thing

So what’s next a body under the town hall patio (Brookside)

Who shot the Convener Sandy Cluness (Eastenders)

And all the bitching going on will be from (Dynasty)

A big fire at the town hall lose all the embarrassing paperwork (Coronation Street Rovers Return fire)

It no wonder no one can believe anything that is being said from the lot of them

You forgot Emmerdale. They'll appoint old Annie as the new CEO cos she wouldn't have any of that carrying on at her kitchen table - she'd knock all their heads together until some commonsense came out!

Shetlands solution re employ the assistant and find some work for him. and create a new senior post and throw in a new committee. excellent just what i was expecting.

now this new post when its filled will require an assistant an admin assistant and probably a full office of other workers.

i thought the idea was to reduce costs.

sounds more like the dingles have taken over the town hall to me.