Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I work you can't access any forum or social networking type site, as folk were wasting time on them instead of working. :(

I totally agree, but it was the timing of blocking the access to this site, and the fact that a MODERATOR chose to post about it on The New Chief Executive thread that made me curious.

Thinking about it, would it be all that easy to ban all forums/social networking sites?

Maybe they just banned the ones they could see folk were using and we (sorry, they...) were all just too unimaginative to think of others to try!

I can get newspaper websites though, including the Shetland Times and Shetland News.

Thinking about it, would it be all that easy to ban all forums/social networking sites?

Maybe they just banned the ones they could see folk were using and we (sorry, they...) were all just too unimaginative to think of others to try!

I can get newspaper websites though, including the Shetland Times and Shetland News.

It is relatively easy. Software is available to purchase that allows network administrators to block access automatically to certain sites (bit like parental controls on standard security software packages) and to manually add others, allow access at certain times/to certain users, etc.

I remember temping at Eurotunnel who had banned access to both eBay and Loot automatically but you could gain access between the hours of noon and 2.00pm.

... if the SIC has banned the staff from visiting Shetlink from a work computer then that is really a form of censorship and should be drawn to the attention of the elected councillors as soon as possible. Perhaps also it should be drawn to the attention of some of the bodies that support freedom of speech.

Dream on.

I've never seen the SIC's terms of use document for staff use of their computers, but I would be truly amazed if it is not bogstandard. As such it will make quite clear that all use is controlled by them. When they have decided to allow staff to access sites for non work related purposes, that is a perk, not a right. Any such perks may be withdrawn as they see fit. There is no requirement for them to show any consistency in sites they allow or disallow access to.

As I understand the regulations, the only situation where they could be pressured by an external body would be if they were permitting staff to access sites which other staff found offensive or were themselves illegal.

Are you suggesting that you are working for the SIC in Shetland, rather than being an independent observer based on the mainland?

Are you suggesting that you are working for the SIC in Shetland, rather than being an independent observer based on the mainland?

I don't think she is. As she says here:

Where I work you can't access any forum or social networking type site, ...

Where I work you can't access any forum or social networking type site, as folk were wasting time on them instead of working. :(

I totally agree, but it was the timing of blocking the access to this site, and the fact that a MODERATOR chose to post about it on The New Chief Executive thread that made me curious.

Just Trout having fun whilst at the same time (whether deliberately or not) pointing out how ridiculas the "blame it all on the CE" mob are.

Chances are Shetling simply earned a "social networking" tag with some filtering database. However if it was some management decision, so what? Surely its a move in the right direction.

If there were some conspiracy regarding recent events you would expect the Shetland News website to be top of the list :lol:

I don't think she is. As she says here:

Where I work you can't access any forum or social networking type site, ...

Sorry, my second post was carelessly worded, I was indeed just referring to the place that I work. Definitely not SIC, and definitely on the mainland! :)

So you think this is an acceptable practice?

What kind of person thinks like this? :mrgreen:

Quite a few I would expect. This is not exactly an unexpected development, there have been rumblings for ages about SIC staff posting on Shetlink. Read into it whatever you like concerning timing and censorship, it remains the case that many people have been complaining about the activity.

It happened before too, in that case at the host. Here is trout back in June:

It is understood that the SIC IP range was dropped into our hosts firewall last week. Thus anyone trying to connect from the SIC were effectively blocked.

No idea how long that lasted, or indeed why it was lifted.

So, S.I.C employee's cannot access Shetlink at work.....

Hmmm....that means someone, somewhere within the council MADE A DECISION :twisted:

Fantastic, give that man a coconut. No, no....better still, appoint him as Convenor.

He or she cannot be the only person sharing this revolutionary trait. Seek them out, 20 or so should do; and hey presto we have new representatives in the chamber at the toon hall!

Whatever next? Maybe a bridge to Bressay, correct road markings on roundabouts, a new A.H.S or just imagine; picking up a copy of Da Times with no mention of S.I.C until page 28?