Shetland Temperatures

PJ of Hildisvik

I hear the gov are dishing out cold weather payments to the ZE1 area following recent cold snap. Anybody know if also ZE2 and ZE3 ?

Yep.....ZE1, ZE2 and ZE3 are all due 2 cold weather payments since the start of November.......for those that are entitled to them which depends on what benefits people are receiving.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear the gov are dishing out cold weather payments to the ZE1 area following recent cold snap. Anybody know if also ZE2 and ZE3 ?

Yep.....ZE1, ZE2 and ZE3 are all due 2 cold weather payments since the start of November.......for those that are entitled to them which depends on what benefits people are receiving.

Cheers for that, tocht da warmer climes of the deep south maybe wizna included....

Cunningsburgh is nearer the equator hence the coldest that we have registered so far is just over -4 degrees. Quite tropical in comparison !

By the way, it seems as if everyone has switched to Centigrade when talking about temperatures these days. Is Fahrenheit officially dead now?

^ Should be, IMO. Fahrenheit is meaningless to me as I never grew up with temperature given in this measurement. Seems almost arbitrary; centigrade has clear, scientifically useful points. Using Fahrenheit is a bit like being given a distance in furlongs.

I am of a generation where "phew ! what a scorcher" was mentioned when the temperature was 85 degrees or so. I haven't got used to describing 29 degrees centigrade (or celsius) as being a scorcher.

I sometimes still find myself converting decimalised prices back to pound shillings and pence. My daily newspaper cost 9 shillings ! I bought a mars bar for 10/6d.

There must be loads of us out there thinking old measurements still. I am 5' 11" tall. I just had to google that to find that I am 1.8034 metres tall. I can't be arsed with that. I weigh 12st 10lbs but seemingly, in new money, I actually weigh 80.91 kilos. No thanks !