Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi

bobbyw

Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, should he have been released?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, should he have been released?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Released hours after BP secure a 500m deal to look for oil in Lybia.

Good work, Tony Blair. :roll:

Link?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1207772/Blair-blood-money-Lockerbie-deal-Talks-Gaddafi-hours-BP-agreement.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6804645.ece

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/18/british-energy-companies-investment-libya

I very much did not enjoy MacAskill saying that the bloke had a sentence imposed on him by a "higher power". It made Scotland seem like the bloody deep south. Embarrassing.

Britain has always built it's self on being compassionate and open, I agree there are times when it seems not to be, but tis really, in the bigger picture, small....

.....*cough*.....Dresden, Colonial India, Colonial Africa....*cough*.....Irish famine, Scottish clearances..... so called "compassion" is a brawly Joannie-come-lately fellow to old Britannia.

I very much did not enjoy MacAskill saying that the bloke had a sentence imposed on him by a "higher power". It made Scotland seem like the bloody deep south. Embarrassing.

I thought Kenny MacKill sounded more like a minister of the kirk than a minister of the crown at times (Brian Taylor on Radio Scotland said the same). I was half expecting him to end his speech by saying "now let us pray".

It’s just a pity that there was no bomb on the plane that took him home. Not a big bomb, but one that made the plane crash to the ground, with a microphone and webcam onboard. So that everyone who wanted to. Could have listened or tuned in to see or hear him scream and beg to Muhammad all the way down. Some decent realty TV at last

It follows from this explanation that Megrahi is innocent of the Lockerbie bombing and his conviction is the last in the long line of British judges' miscarriages of criminal justice. This explanation is also a terrible indictment of the cynicism, hypocrisy and deceit of the British and US governments and their intelligence services. Which is probably why it has been so consistently and haughtily ignored.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/mar/31/lockerbie.libya

I hope the guy gets better and gets a chance to have his appeal. It's the only chance the families have of an explanation.

Kenny MacAskill's wet ass attempt to excuse what was really going on was the lamest thing I'd heard in ages. He may dress like a Christian, but the similarity ends there.

As if they would have ever let him go for killing hundreds when apart from showing no remorse for commiting said crime, always and still does deny anything to do with it.

Five times in a couple of hours on the radio today I heard the callers in say how he should die here as he was convicted after being found guilty by a jury of his peers.

Only there was no jury.

I very much did not enjoy MacAskill saying that the bloke had a sentence imposed on him by a "higher power".

Yes it was an odd angle to take on it. Does God now impose proper sentences of fatal cancers to compensate for irregulareties in the justice system. Should we even treat anymore cancer patients as this seems to imply they have been found guilty of something by this "higher power" or are the others just friendly fire casualtys.

I especially liked Obama and Hillary's attempts at pretending to sound all pissed off about it; as if the decision was something unexpected and upsetting for them.

The only genuine sounding thing I've heard through all this was Al-Megrahi's statement to the families.

Dodgy business as usual from the powers that be.

some thing very dodgy going on that were not likley to know about any time soon.

1 it was very unlikely that he had anything to do with the bombing

2 sounds as if Brown made this decicion when he met with Gadafi recently

3 its to do with oil not justice

4 I'm not convinced that the usa isn't in on this too but making a big noise to cover their own backs for their general population

^^^

Personally I thought it sounded like he was trying to help appease those god fearing christian Americans who still believe the guy was guilty and should put to death/rot in jail.

I think this too, and with regards to that, I think he did quite well. Not that it will necessarily make much difference!

The Americans seem to have forgotten that just over 5 months before the Lockerbie bombing, one of their warships shot down a civilian airliner belonging to Iran, ironically the same type that was used to fly Al Megrahi back to Libya, with the loss of 290 civilian lives. Why is that any different to what happened to Pan Am flight 103?

As far as I am aware, the Commander of the USS Vincennes is not rotting in some Iranian jail for the loss that he caused. Instead he was awarded the Legion of Merit for his contributions to Persian Gulf operations at that time.

Totally different circumstances I know, but America seems to have very different reactions to whether a foreigner commits the crime, or Uncle Sam himself.