Are you bothered about your electricity bills?

BEAR

I can echo the advice to query everything. We got a bill recently for almost £800.

Odd, we thought, as we have a prepay meter!

My wife phoned up the next day, let them drivel on about us not being home when they came to check the meter so it was an estimate etc, then when the "representative" had finshed, told them it was a prepay.

The response was "Oh, I see, thats ok, forget about the bill, sorry to have bothered you."

I haven't been suitably motivated yet, but really should write asking for a detailed explaination of where this came from, as I always think of the older people who may get these bills and just pay up out of their hard earned savings rather than question them.

We had extensive insulation works done and upgraded storage heaters put in (council house) over the past couple of years, and noticed a serious drop in our electricity costs. Under £100 per month now compared to around £200 before.

I really like the prepay setup because it makes you constantly aware of what you're using.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can top £776 - about 6 years ago when electricity was about half the price its is now, I received a bill for £4620 for a 1/4. I phoned back a told them this was impossible. I was told that the bill was based on an actual meter reading and I was due the money. I supplied the correct reading but they said as far as they were concerned, that was what I owed. I subsequently wrote and detailing the wattage of every electrical appliance in the house and a calculation which showed that if everything ran flat out 24/7 I could not have consumed half of the electricity billed.

I recieved a revised bill for £1200 which was still £1000 more than I was due. More phone calls. Eventally a man came round and read the meter again and was very carefull checked every seal on both meters.

I heard nothing for a while and when I next phoned, I was told as far as they were concerned I owed nothing.

When the next bill was due, I got billed for 6 months. Fortunately I had kept the money due from before.

About 6 months after this they came and replaced one of the meters without explanation. I got a bill for the residual use on the old meter just after it was replaced.

End of chapter 1

Since then until my last bill I have received estimates for the night units. ( two meters). The estimate on each occasion has been zero. Every 1/4 for the last 5 years I have phoned up and complained about this and supplied the readings for all the meters over the phone. They even sent a man round to read the meter once but the subsequent bill reverted to zero consumption.

Anybody with any wit would have realised that there was something far wrong. It has taken 5 years to sort out my computer estimate billing.

I have kept a close eye on the consumption but If I had just paid the estimates without checking the meter I could easily have run up a spectacular bill.

For all the time it takes the very least you should do is check that the bill estimate is not far off the mark. If its too high get on the phone and get it corrected. If its too low DON'T ignore it phone up and get the bill altered.

When the man comes round to read the meter and its catch up time for under estimates, you will be billed at the current unit price despite the fact that the electricity might have cost considerably less when it was consumed.

I do all my Hydro billing online

it saves a lot of time and hassle with estimates

they e-mail me an estimated bill, I log on and give them a true reading

and a couple of days later I get the revised bill emailed thru.

I think there's a saving somewhere with paperless billing and there's

the prompt payment saving (normally only a few pounds but better off in my pocket)

We changed to Eon a couple of years ago, not only are they cheaper than the hydro they are so pleasant to deal with. We moved house last year , the new house was supplied by the hydro so we had to make a few phone calls to both companies to change again to Eon. There was no comparison with the advisors, Eon staff are cheerful and go out of their way to be helpful and that continues even when you are no longer a 'new customer'.

I have THTC -total heating total control.with two meters. I pay £180 per month which I check myself and it is correct. I can't find another supply company able to take over this tariff. so I am stuck with Hydro. My house is "only" 20 yrs old so is quite well insulated.

I am frustrated being unable to get cheaper electricity prices and am considering throwing out the storage heaters and getting da oil in!

It has taken 5 years to sort out my computer estimate billing.

I have kept a close eye on the consumption but If I had just paid the estimates without checking the meter I could easily have run up a spectacular bill.

Their estimates and the computer that produces them aren't worth diddly. I've been in the same place, with the same power usage give or take, for 10 years, yet they're still consistently estimating me 25-50% over each quarter, just the same as they did when they began churning out estimates.

Just how many brain cells (either human or cyber) does it take to figure out, that, hello, here's a dude who's used the same electricity give/take 100 or so units each quarter against the same quarter in previous years, for all of ten years, there's a high chance of probability that he will do so again this year too. But no, for some unfathomable reason they're always expecting that this quarter I will go absolutely wild and use 25-50% more....at their prices, not damn likely. :evil:

• 2 weeks later...