1. 1. Which party do you vote for?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Lib Dem
    • Greens
    • UKIP
    • SNP
    • BNP

Roger looking at your past posts you state that you English (just like me). You object to immigrants moving here getting jobs and housing plus health and benefits.

Your an immigrant to Shetland, you've taken a Shetlanders home and job.

First An immigrant from an EU country has the same rights to health and social benefits as a native. So if you went to Poland you would be entitled to the same benefits as a local Pole. So are you asking that the benefit levels are cut to the Polish levels. Coming in from outside there is no automatic right to benefits etc.

I am pleased that the true Shetlander does not have this attitude.

If a Pole or anyone else has taken your job then look at your employer their the ones who have taken your job.

Paul I'm not an immigrant here in Shetland as Shetland is still part of the British Isles!? Now don't get me wrong I'm not opposed to People coming to work here, its the droves from the EU that are coming freely (with all there familys) that I object to! Anyone from outside the uk should be subject to the same visa control as anyone from outside the EU is now the law has been changed!! And no I don't think there should be any automatic rite to benefits! Why should someone (& there family) be given the rite to claim benefits when they've never paid anything into the pot!!??

By the way I'm not your typical soothmoother that sells up & comes here for the easy life. I came here to be with my Shetland Girlfriend!!

Maybe if you'd been on the receiving end of the crime the UK government is committing by following the the EU & lookin out for others before there own Your opinion maybe compramised as mine has!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And no I don't think there should be any automatic rite (sic) to benefits! Why should someone (& there (sic) family) be given the rite (sic) to claim benefits when they've never paid anything into the pot!!??

Where do you get the crazy idea that they have paid nothing into the pot? As stated in the quote you cite by paulb:

An immigrant from an EU country has the same rights to health and social benefits as a native. So if you went to Poland you would be entitled to the same benefits as a local Pole.

It works both ways and is, to my mind, a civilised and progressive policy.

I would also suggest that xenophobes like yourself ought to do a little research into the demographic situation in Shetland during WWII. You will discover that Shetland was packed full of Polish soldiers. I have tried for some time to get a number, but interestingly can't locate the relevant statistics. Certainly there seem to have been about as many soldiers here as there were local people (some say more), and of those a huge percentage were Poles. Given how welcome those soldiers were at that time, were I a Pole living and working here now, I'd feel a tad let down by the lack of gratitude shown by comments like yours.

As a person brought up in the highest crime hot spot of south Manchester. I can assure you that the majority of the thieves and scumbags had long british pedigrees with good Anglo Saxon and a scattering of Scottish and Irish names.

I find it poor to blame a person from another country/culture for the employment and crime rate. Yes i know that London has issues with certain eastern European citizens. bearing in mind that these are not in the most case legal that is were the problem comes in.

In any one area you only need a small percentage of active criminals to cause problems.

Ive seen what then BNP stand for in Burnley and they are not a joke. They are a serious threat to this country.

What a joke that in an island that has always welcomed the down trodden masses (unlike the USA) we will let hate groups grow.

There are plenty of reasonably well paying jobs out there. If your willing to look at the care sector you would be in great demand.

You argue that you have a right to settle here and gain housing and employment because you are a British subject. As a member state we have expanded that right to the EU.

Yes there are issues with integration but that has always been the way. Given time each group has assimilated eventually.

I'm sorry if you feel that your troubles are caused by non British people but its not so. Without the number of incomers arriving in the UK and Shetland in a smaller way the country/ community would get into difficulties. There would be a negative birth rate in the UK with out our fellow EU and Commonwealth residents.

The way the BNP attract supporters is through the basic human emotion of fear of the unknown. People fear hoards of people invading the country, speaking their own languages and holding to their own customs, but when face to face with the 'foreign person', most folk find that there is not as much of a problem as they think. Most folk in Shetland get along very well with the Chinese people at the Great Wall, or the folk from Sarmille, or the chap from Tastes of the World, or even Jim from the fishing tackle shop. Its the unknown that they dont like. Thats what Racists and hatemongers feed upon and how they can influence people. Read the stuff by all means, but see it for what it is.

... CARELESS TALK/REMARKS Any adverse publicity arising from careless remarks reported in the press could wreck our chances of election so please be aware and observe the utmost caution in this respect ...

In other words, 'keep a lid on it, they're onto us'.

EM pollish soldiers were dumped here by the UK government who did not wan't them roaming the streets of British cities, why should we feel gratitude for that?

Well if they had not been up here you may have had the pleasure of another ethnic group roaming all over. If we could not defend the Channel isles we could not have recaptured the Shetland. Shetland would have made the perfect base for attacking the fleet in Orkney. and for attacking the Scottish cities. In fact i bet the there being so many soldiers here indicates that they felt the threat was real.

EM pollish soldiers were dumped here by the UK government who did not wan't them roaming the streets of British cities, why should we feel gratitude for that?

Most people would be grateful for any added protection given from being raised a Nazi. Obviously.