School Meals in Shetland

shetlander

Looking back on the AHS i don't think i gave them a fair shout as there was usually a fair range, assuming you got there on time, portions were best at the Bruce and Janet Courtney though, i kind of graduated onto spending denner money on a 10 deck and a couple of croissants fae Malcolmsons or a poke o chips fae the Fort, did spend most of my time doon the street though

I'd forgotten about the Janet Courtney grub, it was good stuff, and always plenty of it. The "eat all the sandwiches you like boys, we're wanting the trays emptied" supper time's especially. :lol:

The Fort Chipper and the street was definitely a second home, up and doon we'd go every day, denner time, between 4 and 5, and again after study. A peerie bag a chips, a few smokes, and sit around yapping on the sills of any and all shop windows that were wide enough. I reckon we must have worn a layer of paint off some of them the hours we were there. :lol: Probably no bad thing the sills on Don Leslie's were unpainted stone, they by far got most traffic.

• 2 years later...

At my rememberal primary school in Tingwall was so bad that nearly 3 or 4 children would always go home because they felt sick, honestly, the food was sh*t that it makes you want to run to the toilet.

I remembered that when it's break-time, you have to pay the crisps though, just 20p, if only it was priceless.

I was on maintenance with the council in the 90's and canteens were on my daily duties. I managed to grab a lunch at many a canteen. The canteen women and the lunches I had are without a shadow of a doubt the one big miss I have from that job. I could mention individual schools, which I tended to avoid at lunch time and ones I made sure break downs were attended before lunch, but I'll keep my opinions to myself so as to not offend!! All I'll say is I tried to head out of town :) but Bells Brae homebakes were a must in the afternoon :D

Voe primary school had the best ever school dinners. I remember when i went to Brae Secondary and i was horrified at how cack they were! Was utterly spoilt by the best primary school denners ever, nithin else compared after that !

I attended Brae right from first year nursery to last year of high school. By the time I was in second year of high school I never went to the canteen because the food was so vile. I actually just bought snacks and sandwiches. And in fifth and sixth year I got what I wanted from the Brae shop. However the school meals have apparently improved in the threeish years since I left...

I always remember going to Whalsay for fitba or something and having to eat school dinners there. The dining room was so smelly! I've noticed this in several Shetland institution-style places over the years. It's a stench that seems to be made up of about a third sweat, a third sick, and a third disinfectant. Gym halls are a good place to experience this whiff.

It might have been for Sports Day. When I was younger at Bressa Primary we went to Whalsa for Sports Day. I ken what you mean about the smell, it was very strange.

I thought my Primary School dinners were great. At the Anderson I did a mixture of getting fae the canteen or going doon the street. I seem to mind eating baked tatties.

My most abiding memory of school meals at Bells Brae was having to go to A+E to have a bloody big fishbone removed from my throat out of a so-called fillet, after the dinnerladies had tried to force it down with lumps of dry bread. It was no fun at all, and put me off school meals. To this day I have the same fear of dinner ladies that some people have of dentists!