• Scalloway
    • Ness United
    • Lerwick Thistle
    • Lerwick Celtic
    • Lerwick Spurs
    • Whitedale
    • Delting
    • Whalsay

i see any news on who the teams are? think the main challenge too the champs burra (who i heard has lost lindsey thomson too fellow team tizers) will come from the tizers if they can keep there squad fit and also mossbank who have some class players who should be playing A league football! Looks like a great season ahead for the works league!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ness were seeking to form a third team and apply to enter the Swlfa at their AGM in Feb, there were three others mentioned but not sure on firm details, one former team another team from the westside, the fourth one I've not heard anything firm on.

It seems so, if no teams drop out or leave and the four rumoured to be seeking entry gain it, then it would make a 14 team league. Largest league in Shetland and more individual member clubs than any other association in the Isles. But like I say we'll see what happens at the AGM.

"mr. brain" - Scott Morrison has played for Thistle, Scalloway, Celtic and now Spurs. He was still prety young when playing with Celtic & Scalloway and probably didn't think through his options correctly, just jumped at the chance of playing for a "bigger" club. I think its a massive blow for Thistle as he was a constant dangerman for them. Spurs are now in with a good shout of some silverware this season, although rumours have it James Johnston hasn't been training over winter, hes been suffering with a bad injury. If they get him back fit and on form, Spurs must be in with a good shout.

Very interesting how the poll is going at the moment, Scalloway leading the way by a good margin. Unless its all Scallywags on Shetlink some people might actually believe this could be their year. Will Fraser Park be blessed in glory again?... going to be very closely contested this year. CANT WAIT!!

Like I said no sure just the info picked up on when we discussed our application to the league. If it does go ahead like that, going to be a busy season, 26 league games to fit in, plus cup games? and then there will be county shield and parish cup games to work around.

"Lively" - as a former Yell player myself, We didn't have an A' team when Scott still played for us. He was too good to play in the B' League and with his family moving out of the isles it was too difficult for him to get to and from matches. As he says, "if things were different and Yell had a senior team at the time, he might still be there now"...

I think it will be much the same.

Whalsay and Delting will battle it out for the title.

It will be closer between the other teams from 3rd down but at the top it will be the same.

Are Yell and Unst going to play in the A team cups?

Will teams play each other 3 times with fewer team involved?

the league has to change its rules somehow with A's players playing b's too! the b league should have registration rules so noone whos played a's can play b's! it would be good for youth set up with younger players getting there chance in the b's where as some clubs use 3 a's players with young talent sitting on the bench! shetland football will suffer if it dont change!

I don't think any of the teams have abused the A Team rule in recent years. Most teams use their B Team to blood youngster however due to the other football youngsters are involved in they are often unavailable for selection and sometimes are clearly playing too much football and need a rest. The A team rule provides a bit of flexibility when squads are stretched and it also help pass on knowledge and experience to younger player.

The only rule I feel needs changes is the 3 sub rule. Having 5 subs would allow managers to get everyone on the park and with junior and juveniles playing Tuesday and Thursday night it would also mean young players do not have to play full games on a Wednesday as well.

the league has to change its rules somehow with A's players playing b's too! the b league should have registration rules so noone whos played a's can play b's! it would be good for youth set up with younger players getting there chance in the b's where as some clubs use 3 a's players with young talent sitting on the bench! shetland football will suffer if it dont change!

What about promising young players on the brink of the A team? Would you have them a regular sub in the A team, and just playing junior football? They would not be able to play in the B league. I can see a strong argument for this in terms of development and avoiding overplaying amongst juniors.

What about a 19 year old on the cusp of A league football, would you have them just playing regularly in the B league, or alternatively the odd game in the A league. There would be no form of junior football for him.

Personally I think the way the set up is at the moment is ok, it gives the best opportunity for players of all ages and abilities, and by and large the team managers utilise it well.